Awwww, come on!!

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. remade for the big screen starring Superman?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1638355/

WTF?!? Why doesn't someone just pull the plug on Hollywood right now? Just pull the plug. Let it die, FFS. The celebrities who need money can go back to Vaudeville and the writers can go to Bollywood. I'm sure everything old to us would be new to them.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how a Cold War era TV show could even be made relevant today in cinematic terms? Is it going to be a period piece? The whole thing just sounds like a big, steaming turd no matter how you flush it.

Bluce Ree

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how a Cold War era TV show could even be made relevant today in cinematic terms? Is it going to be a period piece? The whole thing just sounds like a big, steaming turd no matter how you flush it.

Seems like it's a period piece. It says 1960s in the summary.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I was shocked yesterday to read that David McCallum (Ilya Kuryakin) is 80 years old.

He's in damned good shape for the shape he's in.

B

Backstep

I honestly can say, we need a new crop of 'idea' people in Hollywood. Doesn't Get Smart need a sequel? They haven't remade Buck Rodgers movie yet? Rodger Ram Jet? Leave it to Beaver(hope Ward isn't to hard on the beaver in the movie :whip:)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I was shocked yesterday to read that David McCallum (Ilya Kuryakin) is 80 years old.

He's in damned good shape for the shape he's in.

In the NCIS DVD's they have a "round table" with the actors, and David says it is the craft that keeps him young.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Remakes, trilogies, reimingations, sequels and spinoffs are part of mainstream tv. They want one thing and one thing only;they are after your wallet.

If there is money to be made, it will be made.

Sequels,remakes etc... are a lot easier to work with because, you essentially have the casting,story,plot,setting all pretty much figured out. You don't need to look or come up with new ideas, new plot devices. You essentially have the platform/template of your movie/tv show pretty much figured out. So that is why they are preferred by hollywood instead of new ideas and hey, record number of people are watching tv shows than ever before and making record revenue so you can see why they want to do it.

Hollywood has a lot of time constraints, and the demand for more the next blockbuster movie,tv show etc, grows each year. That is why it's easier for them just to pick an old existing idea rather than working on a new one. While there is an element of risk involved in using old ideas, it's far safer tha using newer ideas.

Like the saying goes, what's old becomes new again :)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Remakes, trilogies, reimingations, sequels and spinoffs are part of mainstream tv. They want one thing and one thing only;they are after your wallet.

If there is money to be made, it will be made.

Sequels,remakes etc... are a lot easier to work with because, you essentially have the casting,story,plot,setting all pretty much figured out. You don't need to look or come up with new ideas, new plot devices. You essentially have the platform/template of your movie/tv show pretty much figured out. So that is why they are preferred by hollywood instead of new ideas and hey, record number of people are watching tv shows than ever before and making record revenue so you can see why they want to do it.

Hollywood has a lot of time constraints, and the demand for more the next blockbuster movie,tv show etc, grows each year. That is why it's easier for them just to pick an old existing idea rather than working on a new one. While there is an element of risk involved in using old ideas, it's far safer tha using newer ideas.

Like the saying goes, what's old becomes new again :)

Another subject I could talk about for quite awhile.

Originality is dead. Any seed of original thought still in existence in the entertainment world is squashed by the need for big profits or the fear by corporatists that run the studios of losing on a new idea.

They would rather gamble on an old idea that has a "proven track record (you know, like with the stock market?)" then on the new.

I also blame our overly technological world-where so much is at our fingertips and no one really NEEDS to use their imagination or creativity any longer-is to blame, though I know that few people agree with me on that part.

Remember, writers up to the early 90's or so had little to no digital devices and social media sites to be distracted by-they got distracted by their work instead.

Bluce Ree

I also blame our overly technological world-where so much is at our fingertips and no one really NEEDS to use their imagination or creativity any longer-is to blame, though I know that few people agree with me on that part.

Except for the ones building all that technology. Creativity is alive and well there. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. remade for the big screen starring Superman?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1638355/

WTF?!? Why doesn't someone just pull the plug on Hollywood right now? Just pull the plug. Let it die, FFS. The celebrities who need money can go back to Vaudeville and the writers can go to Bollywood. I'm sure everything old to us would be new to them.

This show was strictly a result of the Cold War dynamic. You cant update it. And if they do it as a period piece, then that tells us that they are aiming this dreck at Boomers. :facepalm:. Since when did Boomers want to relive the Cold War dynamic? The folks behind this probably watched this show (as did I) when it was popular on TV. Remember The Girl from U.N.C.L.E? :facepalm:. I dont understand why the not so cool shows are being selected for remakes when the coolest shows which would be better candidates are being ignored. Hows about a remake of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea? What about a new franchise for Captain Nemo and his underwater city? As cheesy as it was, even Gigantor (the cartoon) might be a good remake.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Except for the ones building all that technology. Creativity is alive and well there. :D

Yes, but they are fairly small segment of society and they are not creating any of the entertainment that we discuss here, they just "fill in some gaps" with CGI and SFX. They do not write original stories or scripts-they just create "eye candy".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Seems like it's a period piece. It says 1960s in the summary.

Assuming they don't make it a comedy (*cringe*) the only way it would be remotely appealing would be if they do it similar to how Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was done. It was a period piece that actually worked fairly well I thought.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Another subject I could talk about for quite awhile.

Originality is dead. Any seed of original thought still in existence in the entertainment world is squashed by the need for big profits or the fear by corporatists that run the studios of losing on a new idea.

They would rather gamble on an old idea that has a "proven track record (you know, like with the stock market?)" then on the new.

Remember, writers up to the early 90's or so had little to no digital devices and social media sites to be distracted by-they got distracted by their work instead.
Creativity isn't dead. The fact is, it's actually quite hard to think of a completely new concept without stealing from the old one and transforming it. I for one don't mind if they make remake of something but just don't screw it up. Take for example batman; those movies have been re-wrtten a lot but the old ones were terrible;especially those movies with arnie in them. I know people hate the new batman, but it was a lot better than the 90s version in terms of how it was written.My only complaint is the frequency at which these remakes come

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Originality? It does seem to be a concept that is very rare in practice.

Meanwhile, I've actually come up with something new under the sun (moon) for a vampire novel.

I'm curious to see what the response to the new idea will be.

Bluce Ree

Creativity isn't dead. The fact is, it's actually quite hard to think of a completely new concept without stealing from the old one and transforming it. I for one don't mind if they make remake of something but just don't screw it up. Take for example batman; those movies have been re-wrtten a lot but the old ones were terrible;especially those movies with arnie in them. I know people hate the new batman, but it was a lot better than the 90s version in terms of how it was written.My only complaint is the frequency at which these remakes come

Conceptual mimicry is fine. It's pulling all these old shows and movies from the closet to remake and re-imagine them that's pissing me off. That's the complete lack of creativity.

Batman wasn't really a remake. Comic book movies I can excuse because they go through reincarnations even in the comics themselves. Dark Knight is a story that was never brought to the big screen, though. It isn't a remake per se.

Total Recall, on the other hand, total "re-imagination" and they turned what was a great movie and story into a CGI turd.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2