Android Siri alternatives

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Android has quite a few Siri-like alternatives. There's Google Now's voice search, which isn't bad and can be quite fast. However, its responses seem very limited to what Google figured are the most common queries and will more often than not just pop up a Google search page as an answer.

Skyvi is a very popular one but it fails on very simple queries. Asking it "how many days since <date>" will always answer "There are 365 days in the year." then proceed with some self-advertising. It often fails to understand basic queries at about the same rate as Siri, which is annoyingly high.

So far, my favorite has to be Robin. Not only does it seem to cover a very wide array of questions with direct responses but you can also train it for less common queries that it would otherwise throw to a search result. It also has some clever, smart-ass answers.

Q: I need to hide a body
A: Why don't you ask Siri?

Q: Where can I bury a body?
A: On the second page of any Google search result

Q: Give me today's technology headlines
A: Ok, getting today's tech news ... <and proceeds to read out a set of news headlines>

Upon start-up, Robin displays a map with your current location and will greet you in a variety of different ways. You can either tap Robin before a voice query or simply wave your hand in front of the device.

Launching apps is also a snap. Ask Robin to launch <app name> and it remains in the background to continue executing your voice commands with a simple hand wave. Robin also integrates with social media to automatically read out and display new alerts.

So far, I love Robin!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Android has quite a few Siri-like alternatives. There's Google Now's voice search, which isn't bad and can be quite fast. However, its responses seem very limited to what Google figured are the most common queries and will more often than not just pop up a Google search page as an answer.

Skyvi is a very popular one but it fails on very simple queries. Asking it "how many days since <date>" will always answer "There are 365 days in the year." then proceed with some self-advertising. It often fails to understand basic queries at about the same rate as Siri, which is annoyingly high.

So far, my favorite has to be Robin. Not only does it seem to cover a very wide array of questions with direct responses but you can also train it for less common queries that it would otherwise throw to a search result. It also has some clever, smart-ass answers.

Q: I need to hide a body
A: Why don't you ask Siri?

Q: Where can I bury a body?
A: On the second page of any Google search result

Q: Give me today's technology headlines
A: Ok, getting today's tech news ... <and proceeds to read out a set of news headlines>

Upon start-up, Robin displays a map with your current location and will greet you in a variety of different ways. You can either tap Robin before a voice query or simply wave your hand in front of the device.

Launching apps is also a snap. Ask Robin to launch <app name> and it remains in the background to continue executing your voice commands with a simple hand wave. Robin also integrates with social media to automatically read out and display new alerts.

So far, I love Robin!

Just downloaded it. COOL! I have had Jeannie and also Advanced Voice Actions. But for me the standard Voice Actions is still working the best. Robin is already winning me over. :) I think its funny to watch Apple iPhone owners continue to cling to the idea that they are carrying the bestest, greatest phone on the planet when they are basically so far behind the curve they are being lapped by Android. And I am still finding online articles referring to the "glitchiness" of Android. Perhaps they have not seen Jelly Bean or even ICS on a high end Android? Its buttery smooth and glitch-free. Not only that, it looks and works great on tablets, giving a superior performance to iOS on the iPad. Oh, and Robin is FREE (like most Android apps). Siri is limited in ways I find unacceptable. I can tell my SII to "take me to the nearest gas station", it will go immediately to Navigation and start giving me directions. I can do this with businesses, freeway onramps, and restaurants.

Bluce Ree

I just got a text and Robin asked me if it should read it rather than just blurting it out. :D

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
side note:
My avast just updated and informed me that Android has had a huge leap in viruses due to online advertising via those

images, so be aware you android fans!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
side note:
My avast just updated and informed me that Android has had a huge leap in viruses due to online advertising via those

images, so be aware you android fans!

This is a PERFECT example of "scareware" tactics. Avast wants you to buy their AV software, and that is why they gave you the warning. :) Android has had no such leap in viruses. Just sayin!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They made no attempt to sell me anything, just saying. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're not their target audience. Just sayin'. :D

Enough people will be scared enough to install it because of the (false) warnings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've already been asked by a few friends what's the best anti-virus for their smartphones. :(

Me too...:(
--- merged: Mar 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM ---

Google has blocked all anti-advertising apps from the Play Store (predicted). This will not stop them from being developed or installed, especially if your device is rooted like mine is. I am an anti-ad slayer of the highest order. I absolutely HATE advertising in my applications or entertainment. Its the reason I dont have cable or satellite and will not watch Hulu or Hulu Plus. I refuse to install ad-supported apps on my phone, and will pay for the non advertising versions whenever possible. If it is not possible, I will not install the app.

Bluce Ree

Me: "I don't like Siri"
Robin: "Siri is my fruity sister. And you can ask me for Steve Jobs quotes if you'd like"

:icon_rotflmao: