Alphas - The hot new SyFy TRAINWRECK!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I watched the series premiere of Alphas tonight. Now if only there was an over the counter memory wiping treatment...

Yes, it was that bad.

I guess the first step is to try to explain the premise. I say "try" because the series itself doesn't do a very good job of it. It appears that "Alphas" are people with special neurology in their brains, and that using their minds gives them special powers. Some work for a government agency and others are out there doing their own thing, I guess.

The funny thing about these "powers" is that they make no sense when attributed in this way. For example, one person has the ability to listen to and trace cellular communications (except Nokia because it uses a different protocol). Huh? His mind power makes him a phone tap? :laughing:

Then we have super strength, the ability to make other people believe whatever they are told and uncanny accuracy in throwing and shooting. So the Apha powers explanation is illogical at best.

Then we come to the characters, who were so un-memorable that I cannot recall any of their names. In addition they are not really likeable. The show is trying for that "edgy" feel that I REALLY wish SyFy would just forget about. And the result is a show that was almost unpleasant to watch. It is sort of like they tried to mix "Painkiller Jane" with "Mutant X". The result is not good - there is a lot of fast action but not enough exposition and characters hard to root for.

Oh well, at least both Eureka and Warehouse 13 returned and with good installments...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That bad, eh? I will give it a whorl...if its better than Falling Skies, that will be a plus. What is it with Syfy and science fiction in general? There are really audiences out there watching and enjoying this stuff? :facepalm: I see an opportunity for a somewhat snooty, paid science fiction channel which would market itself as the channel "For Thinking People". Have Google be its main benefactor and offer original material (a la YouTube, but longer format), as well as offer its own content. Pay model would be like YouTube's "rent a video" model, but with much lower proces as well as several free offerings. I would buy it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I personally think that they want to go with this "edgier, darker" concept, but they are too damn scared of loosing the "family friendly" concept. Simple fact is, you go with eye candy or pure "fun stuff" or you harden up, face the fact that people do WANT well written adult content like HBO provides or just give up.

B

Backstep

Alphas is okay but still not really the kind of show i like. It would seem syfy has gotten out of scifi original show business and move on to all fantasy, Sanctuary, W13, Eureka, Haven and now Alphas all fantasy. Dave Howe said it right, there is no science in Sy.

Edit: Alphas is 1 notch above Falling Skies IMO

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Alphas is okay but still not really the kind of show i like. It would seem syfy has gotten out of scifi original show business and move on to all fantasy, Sanctuary, W13, Eureka, Haven and now Alphas all fantasy. Dave Howe said it right, there is no science in Sy.

Err, what?
Sanctuary and W13 are "pulp Scifi", Eureka is "Hard scifi" (insofar as the actual *Sci* content goes), Haven I don't watch and Alphas seems like it's more of a "Psychic mutant" show than anything else from the few things I've read, and Psionic/mental evolution is a well known Scifi theory/trope. The only thing Syfy is missing is a starship based or "off planet" based show, and they (space based shows) don't seem to draw enough interest to survive (and yes I miss the style as well :( ), but thats the way it is :(

B

Backstep

Err, what?
Sanctuary and W13 are "pulp Scifi", Eureka is "Hard scifi" (insofar as the actual *Sci* content goes), Haven I don't watch and Alphas seems like it's more of a "Psychic mutant" show than anything else from the few things I've read, and Psionic/mental evolution is a well known Scifi theory/trope. The only thing Syfy is missing is a starship based or "off planet" based show, and they (space based shows) don't seem to draw enough interest to survive (and yes I miss the style as well :( ), but thats the way it is :(

With thinking about it more, i'll give you that Eureka is more in the scifi realm, Sanctuary, W13 and Haven deal with magical and mythical objects and beings, Alphas is more along the line of Heroes, comic book characters, IMO all fantasy.

Space based scifi is one of my favorites i admit, a good Earth based scifi show i can get into also. It does not have to involve aliens or alien invasions, a recent rewatch was Logan's Run, Planet of the Apes (when the apes start the take over), as long as the science matches the period to which the show is set, stays within the plot, keeps a good pace, I'm all in.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If only it were a decent show regardless of genre....

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
If only it were a decent show regardless of genre....

you know you need to be brutally honest about how you feel about the show...holding it in as you do can't be good for you! :ori:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
you know you need to be brutally honest about how you feel about the show...holding it in as you do can't be good for you! :ori:

Hallowed are the Ori....

G

Graybrew1

Warehouse 13 was very good last night. I just find W13 very interesting. The characters and stories are great.

I loved Eureka and WH13, but what did you think of Alphas? As a Scifi fan, not a Syfy guy?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Warehouse 13 was very good last night. I just find W13 very interesting. The characters and stories are great.

Hey Brian, good to see ya! :joy:

What's your take on this new show Alphas? How is it going over with people do you think?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I found the pilot episode of Alphas pretty ho-hum, even though it was loud and shiny. I'll give it a few more tries but I need more back story on these characters before I buy into it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Loud, shiny with pretty much no character development and a plot barely explained.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YOURE BACK! I was wondering where you went. :) I need to start watching that show. It was great when it first came out but somehow I stopped watching it (I dont have Syfy anymore). I see its on Hulu, so I will try to catch up. Welcome back!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Yep. Loud, shiny with pretty much no character development and a plot barely explained.

Well, at least we have loud and shiny until they decide to fill in the blanks. :D

I am going to give the show a few more episodes to right itself before I bail completely. I know - I'm an optimist. :P

Hyndara

GateFans Noob
Falling Skies is okay with me. Not the best, that's true but I like it.
Alphas ... horrible! Just the concept - horrible! A coworker asked me a few weeks before about Alphas. I think my answer describes the show perfect: bad crossover between "X-Men" and "CSI".

Please, can someone explain to me WHY Alphas has this good numbers? *shakes head* I mean, seriously, 2 Million viewers?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Falling Skies is okay with me. Not the best, that's true but I like it.
Alphas ... horrible! Just the concept - horrible! A coworker asked me a few weeks before about Alphas. I think my answer describes the show perfect: bad crossover between "X-Men" and "CSI".

Please, can someone explain to me WHY Alphas has this good numbers? *shakes head* I mean, seriously, 2 Million viewers?

Let's just be glad those numbers weren't for SGU. ;)