Alphas gets greenlight!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
A possible replacement for sgpoo gets the greenlight...a show called Alphas...starring David Straithairn - He's one of my favorite actors from a number of interesting roles he has done: A blind man in Sneakers (another old fave movie...robert redford...swoooon!), eddie in Eight men out, theseus in A midsummer night's dream, Ira Lowenstein in a League of their own, the colonel in Memphis Belle, Noah in the bourne ultimatium, and many more...now HE is a truly high quality and high caliber actor....unlike some *coughrobertcarlylecough* i could name! ;)

Linky---http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/syfy-picks-alphas-57259

Lilith

GateFans Noob
A possible replacement for sgpoo gets the greenlight...a show called Alphas...starring David Straithairn - He's one of my favorite actors from a number of interesting roles he has done: A blind man in Sneakers (another old fave movie...robert redford...swoooon!), eddie in Eight men out, theseus in A midsummer night's dream, Ira Lowenstein in a League of their own, the colonel in Memphis Belle, Noah in the bourne ultimatium, and many more...now HE is a truly high quality and high caliber actor....unlike some *coughrobertcarlylecough* i could name! ;)

Linky---http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/syfy-picks-alphas-57259

I think he is a great actor and good looking. He has aged well, kindva like us. Love him in Sneakers, Redford was funny when he jumped over that counter and semi-fell then said he was too old for this s##t. I have seen them all except the Bourne ultimatium. Didn't he also play in the River with Meryl? I'll watch this show. I'm sure it will appeal to those of us with a higher intellectual valve for entertainment.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
Looks interesting!

But it does say at the very end that it's set to premiere in the summer...so maybe not a replacement for SGU :(

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
I think he is a great actor and good looking. He has aged well, kindva like us. Love him in Sneakers, Redford was funny when he jumped over that counter and semi-fell then said he was too old for this s##t. I have seen them all except the Bourne ultimatium. Didn't he also play in the River with Meryl? I'll watch this show. I'm sure it will appeal to those of us with a higher intellectual valve for entertainment.

He did play in The River, I remember him well from that though I haven't seen any of his other roles AFAIK. I'm not really a movie/TV watcher so for me to remember at all means a lot. At least to me! :P

I'm glad they've given it the greenlight, and it surely helps dispel the notion that there's nothing in the pipeline to replace SGU. They've plenty of time to get other projects rolling. But even if they don't, SyFy won't renew a series that is not making (and might even be losing) them money just to have a show in that time slot. Reruns of SGA and SG1 would perform better in terms of profit.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Meh. I'm not that exited about this. I've never been keen on the whole superhero/powers thing. The exception being the first season of Heroes. The rest was crap, and I don't really like No Ordinary Family either. I'll wait to see if the guys behind this show can pull it off.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

yes he has aged well. yowwsah! ;) I like a LOT more intellectual stimulation than sgpoo gives me...i always have to laugh at those who call it "deep"...yep it's deep shit all right! :P those who refer to the show as "deep" have the personal depth of a mud puddle!

He did play in The River, I remember him well from that though I haven't seen any of his other roles AFAIK. I'm not really a movie/TV watcher so for me to remember at all means a lot. At least to me! :P

I'm glad they've given it the greenlight, and it surely helps dispel the notion that there's nothing in the pipeline to replace SGU. They've plenty of time to get other projects rolling. But even if they don't, SyFy won't renew a series that is not making (and might even be losing) them money just to have a show in that time slot. Reruns of SGA and SG1 would perform better in terms of profit.
and can't forget their TNG tuesdays...those were fun! :D So time for them to boot sgpoo once and for all! :D

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Amazing!

Meh. I'm not that exited about this. I've never been keen on the whole superhero/powers thing. The exception being the first season of Heroes. The rest was crap, and I don't really like No Ordinary Family either. I'll wait to see if the guys behind this show can pull it off.
We do agree sometimes, SpaceAlien :icon_lol:

park8

GateFans Noob

I agree, the premise doesn't appeal to me much either, especially after seeing how badly they did it with NOF this season. But I'll probably try it, just like I'll try Being Human even though I cannot stand vampires and have no interest in werewolves.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree with this too.

Yep, not into that either. :) I avoid magical heroes at all times, with the exception of Harry Potter and his buddies. Hated Heroes, even the first season. But Sanctuary takes these fantasy creatures and puts science behind them and that is new and fresh to me.

I hope that SGU has taught TPTB one thing...you cant take a soap opera and put it in a spacesuit and expect sci fi fans to like it.

nakedwesley

GateFans Noob
If it's got David Strathairn in it, I'll give it a go! I'm a huge fan. Too bad it can't premiere this spring instead of summer so that we could definitely say goodbye to SGPooo.

S

SGUAwareness

If it's got David Strathairn in it, I'll give it a go! I'm a huge fan. Too bad it can't premiere this spring instead of summer so that we could definitely say goodbye to SGPooo.

Well, even though I really hope SGU gets renewed... Im actually very excited about this show.

Personally im hoping to see B&C on the same night as SGU(provided it gets a season 3) this coming fall... that would be a great lineup! :)

T

Tanith

I think the whole superhero/powers thing is great when it's done well, same with sci-fi.

I thought that Heroes was great for the first season, and then it was okay for the next 1-2 seasons

Agreed. To me Heroes was absolutely amazing in season 1 but went downhill afterwards right up until around season 3.5 where it picked up a little for me (Season 4 was good if you ignore the Claire Bennet storyline). Little disappointed that they never shown a proper all out battle between Peter and Syler though.

Mmm. You must not have watched much Heroes then, because there was science behind it - perhaps even more than with Sanctuary
Just need to mention The 4400 aswell. It was a good little series where science eventually determined how they got powers.

F

Frumenta

A procedural with super heroes. Whatevs. I don't see how I'm supposed to get a sci-fi fix from this. I want a sci-fi show set in space that doesn't suck donkey balls.

I loved David Strathairn in Goodnight and Good Luck. He's always been hot but he seems to be getting better with age. I might give Alphas a chance.

Lilith

GateFans Noob

My thoughts exactly. Don't think the cancelation will ever be announced. This is worst than waiting on Christmas.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Well, even though I really hope SGU gets renewed... Im actually very excited about this show.

Personally im hoping to see B&C on the same night as SGU(provided it gets a season 3) this coming fall... that would be a great lineup! :)

Yeah, I use to have a great lineup for Friday for about 15 years. I wouldn't plan anything on Fridays. I would take the day off for the marathons even though I owned all the DVD's. Those were the days.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
My thoughts exactly. Don't think the cancelation will ever be announced. This is worst than waiting on Christmas.
methinks the executives at syfy just need a laxative so they can get rid of sgpoo once and for all! ;)

Lilith

GateFans Noob
methinks the executives at syfy just need a laxative so they can get rid of sgpoo once and for all! ;)

I think this will be prolonged tease since all they can replace it with is reruns of the real SG shows. I'm afraid they will run everything they have and announce in April or May.