Alias Rewatch

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
So after visiting the thread about rewatch threads I was convinced to start rewatching Alias. It was the first remotely sci fi show I ever watched and it does hold a special place among all the shows and movies I've watched.

Scroll down for character/organizations breakdowns.

I've just watched the first episode "Truth Be Told", so here's my review. It's part summary and part review since there's probably a few who haven't watched the show. It's probably not a very good review, but I'm not good at this.

1.01 '"Truth Be Told"
Written by: J.J. Abrams
Directed by: J.J. Abrams

Sydney Bristow is a young university student living an uneventful life in Los Angeles. She is recruited to work for SD-6, allegedly a secret branch of CIA. After some time she falls in love with Daniel Hecht, a promising pediatric cardiologist, and makes the fatal mistake of telling him about her secret identity. When the SD-6 finds out, they murder him to protect the secrecy of her identity. Sydney, devastated by this loss, takes several months off from work to recuperate and focus on school. Her partner, Marcus Dixon is sent to check up on her, and urge her back to work. She tells him that she is not ready yet, even though it is long past when she was supposed to return to work. In a sudden series of events, an attempt is made on Sydney's life, only to be stopped (with ruthless efficiency) by Jack Bristow, Sydney's estranged father. He reveals that SD-6 is not a CIA division, but in fact a branch of a bigger illegal organization known as the Alliance of Twelve, which seeks to make profits from stolen intelligence and weapons. The "CIA black-ops" is the cover given to most of their employees, only a select few (Jack included) know of the organization's true agenda; the rest are merely pawns whose patriotism is exploited. Sydney is sickened to learn that her father has lied to her for years, and that he is a traitor who was complicit in letting his daughter become a pawn to his colleagues. Realizing that Sloane no longer trusts her, Sydney travels to Taipei and retrieves one of Rambaldi's artifacts in order to win his trust. After confronting Sloane, giving him the artifact, and promising to return to work the following week, she regains Sloane's trust. She visits the real CIA where she meets Michael Vaughn and Eric Weiss. She prepares a written statement telling them everything she knows about SD-6. She requests to become a double agent for the CIA and put an end to Sloane and SD-6. Later, the episode's final scene shows Sydney visiting Danny's grave. There, Jack reveals to Sydney that he is not a traitor, he is working for the CIA, infiltrating SD-6 as a double agent, and that the CIA is expecting her to do the same.

Okay, the episode starts with Sydney in the clown red hair having her head shoved in a bucket of water, but I want to start with the proposal scene. It was cheesy. Incredibly cheesy with Danny bursting into song…. okay, it was probably more like screaming in middle of the campus, but I love it. It's just cute, that's all. Also, Danny's call to Sydney's dad to ask for permission to marry her just showed the surface of awesomeness that Jack Bristow really is.

Jack: "I may become your father-in-law, that's just fine, but I will not be used as a charming little anecdote that you can tell your friends at cocktail parties so they can see what quaint, old fashioned guy Danny really is. Are we clear?"

Danny: " Yes sir"

Jack: "Good. Then welcome to the family"

Also, when Sydney enters SD-6 we hear some of the examples of the great way Alias uses contemporary music. SGU could learn from this. They gotta use more contemporary outside of montages.

And I totally agree with Will. How the hell can someone choose Pretty Woman as the best movie ever created????

The episode does use quite a lot of flashbacks, however they are executed in a good way and this is probably the first show I can remember that did its pilot in a non-linear fashion.

Knowing what I know now it feels a bit weird to hear the references to Sydney's recruitment and her mom, but I'm not going to go into that this early on.

Apparently Sloane is looking for the Mueller device which is supposed to be some kind of battery or something. So they go on a mission to Taipei where she gets to use the Bond-style gadgets made by Marshall the tech geek. Sure, he's constantly nervous and neurotic, but that's what makes him awesome.

I can understand Sydney's reasons for telling Danny the truth about her working for the "CIA". She's getting married and how can she really keep lying about her job and other life to her future husbands. A marriage based on such a dangerous secret will never work out for the better, and she knows. It's just too bad about Danny's drunken call to her. BIG MISTAKE.
Of course the performances by the cast are all great as usual. Jennifer Garner is really the one who stands out. When she comes home and sees Danny's dead body in the bathtub her reaction is very believable. The first time I watched the pilot her scream was just gutwrenching, and it's no different this time. It's just too bad that it had too end that way for him, but it was necessary for the story. I really wanted Sloane to die for ordering Danny to be killed. The funeral scene was also really sweet and very sad.

Sydney is truly badass in that red clown wig while being tortured by that asian guy. I would not last a second under that kind of torture. Pulling out teeth??? That's just messed up.

View attachment 2262
"Badass motherfucker!!"
-EvilSpaceAlien, 2010

I can really understand her reasons for leaving SD-6. How can she really continue working for the people who killed her fiancée? However leaving your employer does get more difficult when they try to kill you. She was in trouble there for a while, but then Jack Bristow comes to the rescue! Sure, he doesn't torture anyone, but it is nice to see him shoot at someone. And then there's the big reveal. Papa tells her that SD-6 is not a black ops division of the CIA, but a part of the Alliance of Twelve, a group of mercenaries, terrorists, etc. She has been working for the people she thought she was fighting.

Now we go to the point where she colors her hair red and gets the whole rocker look going and just looking generally hot. Now she's in Taipei again and breaking into the same place where she went for her SD-6 mission. And now we've arrived at the point of the flashbacks just after she's had one of her teeth pulled out, and now it's to for revenge. Yeah baby, yeah!! She gives that psycho headbutt that could almost rival the Young Headbutt of Doom for awesomeness. Just almost. Now it's time for the psycho bastard to have his teeth pulled out. Fitting, ain't it? Too bad the guards arrived to he just gets a metal thingy jammed in his leg or gut or something not seen in the picture.

Now it's time for Syd to start shooting around and kick in doors, etc. Then she arrives in the lab where she finds the fully functioning Mueller device which is pretty freaky but small *hint, hint*. It sort of looks like a half circle with a red fluid ping pong ball suspended right in the air. Anyway, she cuts off the power to the device and the red ball suddenly collapses and turns into something that looks like water and splashes all over the device. The the guards arrives and she fires at them, dual wielding guns. The she runs out of ammo and decides that it's good idea to release the flammable gas. Of course then she runs as hell and there's a cool explosion as the guards fire at her.'

Pictured below: My reaction to the badassery of Sydney Bristow, illustrated by a woman who is not a witch.

View attachment 2263
KIIIIIIIIILLLL!!!!!!!!

Then she returns to SD-6 and gives solace the Mueller device so she can get those pesky assassins of her back. Just to remind y'all, I still hate Sloane with a passion.

Though of course Syd's not going to just accept that she's working for the bad guys and go on with it, but she goes to the CIA and meets Michael Vaughn, played by Michael Vartan. He seems pretty dull and boring at the moment, but know that he'll develop in an interesting way down the road. Now it's time for the final scene. She visits Danny's gravestone, the poor gal. Her dad arrives there too so he can let her know that the CIA has verified her story. She's now double agent within SD-6, just like her father. She's a bit surprised at he being the other mole. He walks away from her, but not before telling her how dangerous it is to do what he does (yay for positivity!), and we end with Syd's phone ringing. There's always another mission.

Overall, this is a pretty great episode, and probably one of the best pilots I've ever watched. It has its high points and low points, but the performances by the actors are good, and JJ did a good job writing and directing the episode. While not the best episode, it does get a pretty high score, and considering that it's pilot which does heighten expectations for the episode, the score is also heightened due to due good job it did with pulling me in the first time I watched it.

4.5 out of 5

Next up: 1.02 "So It Begins". I may not get it done tomorrow, but I'll try to have the review up by Tuesday.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Thanks for this ESA, it is much apreciated! :beckettu:

Just two questions/suggestions
Is it possible for you to give a basic overview of the characters?
Can you explain the organisations a bit better?

I know Sydney was part of some "super secret government agency",but I really know jack shit about them in terms of the storyline.
Cheers
GF'76

(don't do it now, go the fuck to sleep!!)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Thanks for this ESA, it is much apreciated! :beckettu:

Just two questions/suggestions
Is it possible for you to give a basic overview of the characters?
Can you explain the organisations a bit better?

I know Sydney was part of some "super secret government agency",but I really know jack shit about them in terms of the storyline.
Cheers
GF'76

(don't do it now, go the fuck to sleep!!)

Sure, I'll be happy to give you an overview of the characters and organizations. :) I'll update this list as I go.

Characters:

Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) (Season 1-)
Just your average college student, right? Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. During her freshman year she was approached by a man claiming to work to work for the U.S government. He said that the CIA was interested. That was the start of her time in the employment of SD-6, a black ops division of the CIA. Or so she thought. After she told her husband-to-be about her real job, SD-6 had him killed. Thus she tried to leave the agency, however that just made their security division come after her. After being saved by a pair of assassins by her father, he informs her that SD-6 is not part of the CIA, but part of the Alliance of Twelve, a group terrorists, mercenaries, etc. Thus she decides that if she can't run from 'em, fight 'em. She joins the CIA as a double agent working to destroy SD-6, along with the only other double agent within the organization. Her father.

Danny Hecht (Edward Atterton) (Season 1, episode 1)
Boyfriend and later her fiancé. After she tells him about her job at SD-6 he makes a drunken call to her voicemail and SD-6 snaps it up and has him killed to prevent him from talking.

Jack Bristow (Victor Garber) (Season 1-)
Sydney's father and the other double agent within SD-6. He isn't exactly in touch with his emotions and he and his daughter have never really been on the best of terms. He just a quiet guy who keeps to the mission at hand, and if some individual need to be tortured, he has no problems with doing that.

Arvin Sloane (Ron Rifkin) (Season 1-)
The head of SD-6 and the man who gave the order to have Daniel killed. While he seems to have an exterior of a man who's helping his wife deal with cancer and cares about his agents, he's just a cold hearted bastard who would do anything to survive.

Michael Vaughn (Michael Vartan) (Season 1-)
Sydney's CIA handler and the only person she can really talk to about what she's going through. Their interactions would eventually be the seeds of plenty of shipper fan fiction.

Marcus Dixon (Carl Lumbly) (Season 1-)
Sydney's partner at SD-6. He is not aware of what SD-6 really is, so he happily goes on, believing that he is serving his country.

Will Tippin (Bradly Cooper) (Season 1-)
One of Sydney's friends who happens to be a reporter. He knows nothing about what she really does for a living. After Danny's death he finds something suspicious about it, so he starts to dig deeper into it, bringing him closer to SD-6 and endangering his life at the same time.

Francie Calfo (Merrin Dungey) (Season 1-)
Sydney's best friend and roomate. Syd is tormented by not being able to talk to Francie about her problems, however she can talk with her about some of her personal issues without mentioning SD-6 or the CIA.

Marshall Flinkman (Kevin Weisman) (Season 1-)
A character who serves the same function Q has in the Bond movies by making all kinds of freaky gadgets. He has an eccentric and quirky personality, while also being socially inept, having a tendency to babble and talk rapidly about random subjects that have nothing to do with what he was supposed talk about.

Eric Weiss (Greg Grunberg) (Recurring, season 1-)
A work buddy of Vaughn at the CIA, and probably the closest friend Vaughn really has. He has a bit of a laid back personality and drops by with a sarcastic comment now and then.

Organizations:

SD-6
A division of the Alliance of Twelve, a mercenary organization which deals with every thing from arms sales, to assassinations, to regular old espionage.

Tech:

The Mueller Device
View attachment 2266
A mysterious device sought after by organizations like the Alliance and another similar organization called FTL. It works by containing compressed liquid in an ionization sphere, and can alter the substances it contains.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show sounds interesting!

Sure, I'll be happy to give you an overview of the characters and organizations. :) I'll update this list as I go.

Characters:

Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) (Season 1-)
Just your average college student, right? Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. During her freshman year she was approached by a man claiming to work to work for the U.S government. He said that the CIA was interested. That was the start of her time in the employment of SD-6, a black ops division of the CIA. Or so she thought. After she told her husband-to-be about her real job, SD-6 had him killed. Thus she tried to leave the agency, however that just made their security division come after her. After being saved by a pair of assassins by her father, he informs her that SD-6 is not part of the CIA, but part of the Alliance of Twelve, a group terrorists, mercenaries, etc. Thus she decides that if she can't run from 'em, fight 'em. She joins the CIA as a double agent working to destroy SD-6, along with the only other double agent within the organization. Her father.

Danny Hecht (Edward Atterton) (Season 1, episode 1)
Boyfriend and later her fiancé. After she tells him about her job at SD-6 he makes a drunken call to her voicemail and SD-6 snaps it up and has him killed to prevent him from talking.

Jack Bristow (Victor Garber) (Season 1-)
Sydney's father and the other double agent within SD-6. He isn't exactly in touch with his emotions and he and his daughter have never really been on the best of terms. He just a quiet guy who keeps to the mission at hand, and if some individual need to be tortured, he has no problems with doing that.

Arvin Sloane (Ron Rifkin) (Season 1-)
The head of SD-6 and the man who gave the order to have Daniel killed. While he seems to have an exterior of a man who's helping his wife deal with cancer and cares about his agents, he's just a cold hearted bastard who would do anything to survive.

Michael Vaughn (Michael Vartan) (Season 1-)
Sydney's CIA handler and the only person she can really talk to about what she's going through. Their interactions would eventually be the seeds of plenty of shipper fan fiction.

Marcus Dixon (Carl Lumbly) (Season 1-)
Sydney's partner at SD-6. He is not aware of what SD-6 really is, so he happily goes on, believing that he is serving his country.

Will Tippin (Bradly Cooper) (Season 1-)
One of Sydney's friends who happens to be a reporter. He knows nothing about what she really does for a living. After Danny's death he finds something suspicious about it, so he starts to dig deeper into it, bringing him closer to SD-6 and endangering his life at the same time.

Francie Calfo (Merrin Dungey) (Season 1-)
Sydney's best friend and roomate. Syd is tormented by not being able to talk to Francie about her problems, however she can talk with her about some of her personal issues without mentioning SD-6 or the CIA.

Marshall Flinkman (Kevin Weisman) (Season 1-)
A character who serves the same function Q has in the Bond movies by making all kinds of freaky gadgets. He has an eccentric and quirky personality, while also being socially inept, having a tendency to babble and talk rapidly about random subjects that have nothing to do with what he was supposed talk about.

Organizations:

SD-6
A division of the Alliance of Twelve, a mercenary organization which deals with every thing from arms sales, to assassinations, to regular old espionage.

Tech:

The Mueller Device
View attachment 2266
A mysterious device sought after by organizations like the Alliance and another similar organization called FTL. It works by containing compressed liquid in an ionization sphere, and can alter the substances it contains.

I am totally not hip to this particular show. But from your descriptions, I want to watch it! I am intrigued by the techie stuff you are describing here, and the characters sound interesting. :) How many seasons did it have, and is it on Hulu?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I am totally not hip to this particular show. But from your descriptions, I want to watch it! I am intrigued by the techie stuff you are describing here, and the characters sound interesting. :) How many seasons did it have, and is it on Hulu?

You should watch it! :) The acting and writing are top notch and the mythology of the show is very intriguing. There's five seasons, each having around 20 episodes, except for season five, which only had 17 episodes due to ABC cutting the episode order short. The first three seasons are great and has a lot of twists and turns, and while the show had bit of drop in quality during the last two seasons, I still enjoyed the way it finally ended even though it was a bit of a bumpy ride during the last seasons. I've checked Hulu, but I'm not able to find it. Of course there is netflix which I believe has all the five seasons. Then there's the illegal means, but you may have a problem with using those.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im gonna try it.

You should watch it! :) The acting and writing are top notch and the mythology of the show is very intriguing. There's five seasons, each having around 20 episodes, except for season five, which only had 17 episodes due to ABC cutting the episode order short. The first three seasons are great and has a lot of twists and turns, and while the show had bit of drop in quality during the last two seasons, I still enjoyed the way it finally ended even though it was a bit of a bumpy ride during the last seasons. I've checked Hulu, but I'm not able to find it. Of course there is netflix which I believe has all the five seasons. Then there's the illegal means, but you may have a problem with using those.

I have already found a "source" for season 1. :D Is that a good place to start? Does the show start "meh" and then pick up later? Will these characters grab me from the start? I dont want to give up early if it stumbles a bit in the beginning.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I have already found a "source" for season 1. :D Is that a good place to start? Does the show start "meh" and then pick up later? Will these characters grab me from the start? I dont want to give up early if it stumbles a bit in the beginning.

Well, I think that season 1 is pretty good, but IMO, the series doesn't really hit it's stride until season 2. It will also take a while for the series arc to really make itself known, and there are high points and low points during the first season. However the show does get better and better as it progresses. You'll also see some great guest stars in the first season. There's Gina Torres (Firefly), David Anders (Heroes), and Quentin Tarantino, to name a few.
This is show has quite a bit of drama, but it's well written, and just because there's drama it doesn't mean that there isn't action and suspense in the show as well. J.J. did a good job on this show, and while I may not be a fan of his other shows, I really enjoy this one.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Looks like I was able to watch the second episode tonight anyway. I've decided not to write summaries of the episodes and instead I'll use the ones from wikipedia. It just takes too much time to write 'em by myself.

1.02 "So It Begins"
Written by: J.J. Abrams
Directed by: Ken Olin

Sydney returns to SD-6 as a double agent and is assigned with Marcus Dixon to travel to Moscow to retrieve some stolen files. In the process, however, she inadvertently gives SD-6 access to a nuclear weapon, which makes her travel to Cairo and face a deadly foe in order to fix things. Meanwhile, Will Tippin (a journalist and a close friend) driven by pity and a secret devotion for her, begins to question the circumstances surrounding Danny's death. He discovers weird details about the night of the murder, one being that someone had tried to help him escape by booking him a flight to Singapore. Sydney, who still can't come to terms with her father's insincerity, reconciles with him to a certain extent when she discovers he was the one who bought plane tickets for Daniel and herself.

Okay, this episode was definitely a step down from the pilot. While having a quite exiting opening with Sydney running from guards while clutching a stolen object, the episode is mainly about how Sydney is coping with the death of Danny and her current situation working as a double agent.

While the episode focuses a lot on Sydney and how she's dealing with her loss it doesn't devolve into a soap opera and I think we have Jennifer Garner to thank for that. She keeps it subtle while a lesser actress could have a tendency to overact.

Also, I'm not really a fan of very tight clothes, but when I saw Jennifer Garner in that tight latex or rubber dress..... YOWZA!

View attachment 2269
Jennifer Garner: Being a source of male jaws dropping since 2001

The episode is quite slow, however it picks up towards the end as she leaves for Cairo to retrieve a nuclear weapon that SD-6 has sold to a terrorist. The episode does end with a cliffhanger as Sydney has a gun pointed to her head as she holds the core of a nuclear weapon in her hand.

To summarize, this episode was just a middle of the road kind of episode, but it wasn't bad either.

2.5 out of 5

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Here's a fan made trailer of season 1, just so anyone interested in the show can get a taste of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHtFwExyOI

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Thanks ESA

Thanks for the character/organizations breakdown ESA.:beckettu:

T

Tanith

Never watched Alias before. How does it compare with Abram's other work such as Lost & Fringe?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I just finished watching the third episode. I've also updated the list of characters with one of the recurring ones.

1.03 "Parity"
Written by: Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci
Directed by: Mikael Salomon
Notable guest stars: Gina Torres (Firefly, Serenity, Cleopatra 2525)

Sydney's life is in danger as she is sent to Madrid to retrieve a 500-year-old sketch that contains a set of binary digits on its reverse, having to do with the Rambaldi artifact Sydney brought back from Taipei. SD-6 needs the sketch to decipher the key to its workings. Meanwhile, Will Tippin continues his research into the cause of Danny's death and discovers a very strange anomaly concerning surveillance cameras in the zone of Danny's apartment the night he was murdered. Will is not aware of the danger he is placing himself in by doing this, but Sydney tries to make him stop. In Madrid, Sydney meets up with her deadly nemesis, K-Directorate agent Anna Espinosa, and a fight ensues to retrieve the sketch. It ends up at a draw, as Anna keeps the key to a small suitcase Sydney has obtained. In the end they have to make an arrangement to open the suitcase together, which has the two of them looking inside the suitcase in astonishment at something that remains unrevealed.

This episode was a clear improvement from the previous one, with having a bit more action and laying a little groundwork for the series arc and we got to meet Anna Espinosa (played by Anna Espinosa), one of many enemies of Sydney. We also have bit of a conflict between Sydney and her new handler who was put on her case after Vaughn was reassigned. While yes, Vaughn does get a bit too personal at times, and this guy does the same but also manages to seem like a creepy old guy at the same time, so watching Sydney rip the guy a new one was something I really enjoyed.

We also see some story threads that I know will be followed up later in the series, like the circumstances surrounding her mothers death and a person which will hold great importance during the course of the series. Milo Rambaldi, a person that lived in the 15th century and was some kind of a cross between Leonardo Da Vinci and Nostradamus. In this episode we learned that he wrote some kind of machine code language as early as 1489, and drew rudimentary sketches of transistors and cell phones, hundreds of years before either of those things were invented.

The episode was good, but nothing special, but this is just the beginning so the series is still finding its feet.

3.5 out of 5

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Boy, you sure do have a lot of time on your hands when you're sick.

1.04 "A Broken Heart"
Written by: Vanessa Taylor
Directed by: Harry Winer

Sydney and Dixon go on a dangerous case in Morocco involving the safety of the United Commerce Organization and an agent friend of hers dies of a gunshot. In the meantime, Francie (a close friend of Sydney's who shares her apartment) confronts Charlie, her boyfriend, about a secret date with another woman. The little circle of Sydney's friends consisting of Francie, Charlie and Will, begins to suffer from her little white lies about her job in a bank and the many sudden trips she has to make. Will continues his investigation to find the truth about the murder of Daniel Hecht and unravels more of the mystery. Coming back from Morocco, Sydney tries to know her father better by inviting him to dinner. However, he doesn't dare turn up, which makes her miserable.

The plot thickens as the machine code found (and accidentally destroyed) in the last episode leads to another fight between Anna and Syd. This was just another decent episode, but it was nothing special. Alias is not a very funny show, but mostly serious, however I enjoy the little comic relief that comes from our beloved stuttering tech guy Marshall. I actually laughed out loud when he started doing wind noises during the briefing.

The mission to Morocco is okay and we see some good fight scenes (big surprise there! :P) with Syd and a big bodyguard, however we don't really know too much about the man who dies to really care much about his death.

The subplot of Francie thinking that her boyfriend is cheating on her is pretty boring, but those scenes make up such a small portion of the episode, so I don't have a major problem with them.

We had some interesting scenes when Jack was under hypnosis and had a vision of Sydney with a baby in her arms, saying "It's only a matter of time before I find out the truth.". This is obviously symbolizing the fear Jack feels of having his daughter find out the truth behind her mothers death. The Jack/Sydney relationship continues to be "problematic" as we can see when Jack calls his daughter to say that he can't make it for dinner because he's tied up at work, when in fact he's sitting in a car outside the restaurant. That man clearly has some problems he needs to solve, because those problems are hurting his daughter.

The episodes also shows Sydney coping with knowing the things she does, while all her coworkers still believe that they are doing the right thing and serving their country. When her friend dies in Morocco, believing that he has served his country when he has in fact only helped SD-6 and the Alliance, she starts to open up and confide in Vaughn for the first time, about all the things going on in her head.

The final ten minutes of the episode actually feels like it could be a part of the next episode, and thus the episode does feel a bit choppy, but the last ten minutes are still a good ten minutes. They go to Sao Paulo, to the United Commerce Organization summit in order to guard a Mr. Patel, and important figure within the organization. However they are unsuccessful and the episode ends with a cliffhanger as Sydney is found by the same bodyguard as before, while spying from the on a group of people who are planting a bomb inside Patel. Y'know, the show has ended all its episodes (except the pilot) with cliffhangers so far, and it is getting a bit old.

3 out of 5