Alex Kurtzman admits it is "impossible" for STD canon to "sync up perfectly" with existing canon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just read this here:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-t...68679/star-trek-boss-impossible-to-fix-canon/

"...part of what has kept Trek going for so long is everyone's wonderful imagination to keep writing books and keep making graphic novels and keep making shows. And at a certain point, given the volume of things that are out there it's just impossible for everything to sync up perfectly. So we give it our best effort."

That's strange, because TNG, DS9 and Enterprise and Voyager (mostly) managed to sync everything up damn closely. The truth is that this whole show is so out of line, it was suicide to make it a prequel. Either that, or it was a pre-meditated identity theft of Star Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hamstering! That is exactly what he is doing. :) Especially #2 - "Convincing oneself that they are making a decision for a just reason, when really the reason was based on selfish ideals". He wants to be considered the new Roddenberry or the new "Star Trek dude" or something of that nature. He wants to make a big name for himself and take credit for something great. Instead, he is becoming known for RUINING Star Trek.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"Hamstering" -- that's what Kurtzman is doing. It's mental gymnastics to rationalize one's reason for doing something bad like cheating on a spouse, or not paying back borrowed money from a friend, or for destroying a successful scifi franchise.

CSv4MPLUwAA7uDx.jpg:large

so nothing like 'gerbiling' then?

although, i would say that there is a whole lot of 'gerbiling' going on with STD :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I wish he would just own up to the licensing issue - that they have been forced by CBS for nebulous reasons to use the Paramount license which means they legally cannot create Star Trek that synchs with canon correctly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wish he would just own up to the licensing issue - that they have been forced by CBS for nebulous reasons to use the Paramount license which means they legally cannot create Star Trek that synchs with canon correctly.

In other words, they cannot give us Star Trek no matter what they do. That 25% slice taken away is Star Trek's heart and soul.

pie-chart.jpg