5 Most Interesting Characters on TV

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I was bored and I found this old list I made a few months back so I thought I'd post it. I had to translate it from Swedish to English first, but here it is. I'm starting to hear the complaints already. "Are you creating a thread just so you can post a list of your favorite characters? How unecessary!" Well, yeah, but the point of this thread is that you're supposed to post a list of your favorites as well. But here's my list to start us off.

Dr. Gaius Baltar (James Callis - Battlestar Galactica)
bgpic06.jpg
”You know, I know about farming.”

Yes, the womanizing scientist who sold out the cylons, thus leading to the death of billions. There’s a few reasons to hate him already, but for some reason I don’t. Thanks to James Callis and the writers, Baltar turned into an anti-hero that you (or at least I) couldn’t help but root for and sympathize with. In the early days or the show I was also constantly wondering what his constant visions of Caprica Six were all about. Did he have a Cylon chip in his brain? Was he going (more) insane? Of course we all found out in the end, but it was fun to speculate. I have to applaud the writers and Mr. Callis for making me love such a lying an conniving character such as Baltar, and thus he deserves the fifth place on this list.

Ray Prager (Louis Ferreira - Durham County)
200812190002_3_1.jpg
"I forgive you, you fuck."
Ray Prager, now that's a complicated character. On the outside he's the loving family man, with a wife, a kid, and a hockey team that several members of the police force are on. But who is he on the inside? Well, he's a serial killer. That pretty much sums it up for ya. I gotta applaud LF for his portrayal of the character, because he can be bloody creepy at times since you never really know what he's going to do or what he's capable of. Also, that scene where he tries to "dance" with the teenage girl who had been bludgeoned and was close to death, is probably one of my favorites from the entire first season.

Bubbles (Andre Royo - The Wire)
1185574_506_316.jpg
”Ain't no shame in holdin' on to grief, as long as you make room for other things too.”
Ah, Bubbles. His journey during the course of the show is probably one of the most sad and compelling I've ever seen on television. Especially I could really connect with the character because one of my cousins used to be addicted to heroin. He's been clean for two years now, but everything he and us, his family went through really made me connect with Bubbles as a character.

The Doctor (Matt Smith* - Doctor Who)
jokesbig.jpg
”I'm the Doctor; I'm worse than everyone's aunt!”
How could I make this list without mentioning the Doctor. He's one of the most interesting and fun characters ever created? Here we have character whose adventures we have watched for thirty-one seasons, and we don't even know his name and we probably never will, but that doesn't make him any less interesting.

*He's been played by many actors, but I chose to name the one currently portraying him.

Omar Little (Michael K. Williams - The Wire)
Omar.jpg
”I robs drug dealers.”
Probably one of the most complex and least clichéd characters on tv. Omar is a gangster in Baltimore, but he's a gangster with a code; he never attacks us normal tax payers, instead he opts to steal from drug dealers and other lovely individuals. Interesting choice of occupation there. Oh and he's gay, which happens to be one thing I really love about this character since he is one of the few gay characters on tv that isn't portrayed as giant walking cliché. He's just a guy who robs drug dealers and happens to be gay. Also, I find it sort of interesting to see that in a show like The Wire, where pretty much every major character use profanity at some point, Omar is the only one who claims to make a point of not using it.

Honorable mentions:
Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman - Torchwood, Doctor Who)
"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning."

Detective Jimmy McNulty (Dominic West - The Wire)
"That will teach you to give a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck"

Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland - 24)
"Tell me what I need to know!"

Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner - Alias)
"The irony is they never lied to me about what would happen if I told someone. It was the one thing they said that turned out to be true. Now I'm a double agent for the C.I.A. and I will be until SD-6 is gone."

Lacy Rand (Magda Apanowicz - Caprica)
"Where do you get off being all moral?"

Colonel/Brig. Gen./Maj. Gen./Lt. Gen. Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson - Stargate SG-1)
"WACKO!"

Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall - Dexter)
"I'm not the monster he wants me to be. So I'm neither man nor beast. I'm something new entirely. With my own set of rules. I'm Dexter. Boo."

Donna Noble (Catherine Tate - Doctor Who)
"Oh! My! God!"

Lieutenant/Captain Kara "Starbuck" Thrace (Katee Sackhoff - Battlestar Galactica)
"I'm a friendly, okay? We're all friendlies! So, let's just...be friendly!"

Detective Bunk Moreland (Wendell Pierce - The Wire)
"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick."

Colonel Saul Tigh
"I am an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."

Commander/Admiral William Adama (Edward James Olmos - Battlestar Galactica)
"I'm getting my men."

Ray Prager (Louis Ferreira - Durham County)
"Mike, do me a favor; eithter lighten up or punch me."

Detective Lester Freamon (Clarke Peters - The Wire)
"Don't tease, bitch."

Stringer Bell (Idris Elba - The Wire)
"That's good. That's like a forty degree day. Ain't nobody got nuttin to say about a forty degree day. Fifty? Bring a smile to your face. Sixty? Shit, niggas are damn near barbecuing that mothafucka. Go down to twenty? Niggas get they bitch on. Get they blood complainin... but forty? Nobody give a FUCK about forty. Nobody remember forty, and ya'll niggas is giving me way too many forty degree days. What the fuck?!"

So there's my list. Now I'll await all the people coming to tell me how very wrong I am. :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
weeeeeell you obviouslyLUUUUUURVE neoBSG. Was suprised you didn't have sgpoo's Rush there. ;) I find it quite amusing they are all characters of a fairly recent vintage as well. :D

You missed one of the BEST characters on tv currently

Leroy Jethro Gibbs of NCIS. Many many layers to that man and the unresolved pain over the loss of his wife and daughter- Mark Harmon plays it to perfection.

Most of the characters I prefer are of an older vintage-a few examples-

Jonathan Q Higgins III of Magnum PI-- was "higgy baby" really Robin Masters? or simply a tiresome brit? His character was an interesting enigma.

Dr. Richard Kimble of the original The Fugitive- portrayed marvellously by David Jassen- did he or didn't he? you really had no doubt of his innocence but the character didn't wallow in his own misery and loss of spouse - he actually found a way to help others and not turn criminal himself.

Lenny Brisco of the orginal Law and Order- the wise cracking and very vunerable cop who was an alcoholic who lost a daughter to a drug dealer's revenge was my favorite of the L & A cops. No one has ever been able to deliver a line with pathos AND humor (at the same time no less) than the late Jerry Orbach.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
weeeeeell you obviouslyLUUUUUURVE neoBSG. Was suprised you didn't have sgpoo's Rush there. ;) I find it quite amusing they are all characters of a fairly recent vintage as well. :D

You missed one of the BEST characters on tv currently

Leroy Jethro Gibbs of NCIS. Many many layers to that man and the unresolved pain over the loss of his wife and daughter- Mark Harmon plays it to perfection.

Most of the characters I prefer are of an older vintage-a few examples-

Jonathan Q Higgins III of Magnum PI-- was "higgy baby" really Robin Masters? or simply a tiresome brit? His character was an interesting enigma.

Dr. Richard Kimble of the original The Fugitive- portrayed marvellously by David Jassen- did he or didn't he? you really had no doubt of his innocence but the character didn't wallow in his own misery and loss of spouse - he actually found a way to help others and not turn criminal himself.

Lenny Brisco of the orginal Law and Order- the wise cracking and very vunerable cop who was an alcoholic who lost a daughter to a drug dealer's revenge was my favorite of the L & A cops. No one has ever been able to deliver a line with pathos AND humor (at the same time no less) than the late Jerry Orbach.

Maybe I do. But I luuurve The Wire even more. :D Just like you appear to LUUUURVE NCIS. ;)

I've watched a few episodes here and there of NCIS but I haven't been a regular viewer. I have been planning on giving it a watch from the beginning, but I've been busy lately. And it's only logical that my favorite characters would be from fairly recent shows since I was born in the early 90s, and I've mostly watched recent shows. I've watched a few episodes of the shows you mention when I have trouble sleeping since Channel 5 airs reruns of pretty much all of them in the middle of the night, but otherwise I haven't made an effort to watch them.

As for Rush, well I do find him interesting, but not enough to make it to the list of the honorable mentions. Also, Begbie is much more interesting.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Maybe I do. But I luuurve The Wire even more. :D Just like you appear to LUUUURVE NCIS. ;)

I've watched a few episodes here and there of NCIS but I haven't been a regular viewer. I have been planning on giving it a watch from the beginning, but I've been busy lately. And it's only logical that my favorite characters would be from fairly recent shows since I was born in the early 90s, and I've mostly watched recent shows. I've watched a few episodes of the shows you mention when I have trouble sleeping since Channel 5 airs reruns of pretty much all of them in the middle of the night, but otherwise I haven't made an effort to watch them.

As for Rush, well I do find him interesting, but not enough to make it to the list of the honorable mentions. Also, Begbie is much more interesting.

Well only ONE of my tops picks was from NCIS....you picked 2 out of 5 from NBSG. NCIS is one of the few commercial tv shows I watch. my tv is tuned to the news and documentaries 80 to 90% of the time that it is on. :) Otherwise I dig out my dvds. I can't be bothered with the shit that passes for entertainment today.
On a side note- Hubby and I went to see "the king's speech" on saturday- EXCELLENT movie- but the previews --:eek: omg what shit they are passing off as entertainment these days! we were offended by each of them. :(

Another great character-
Tony Scali from The commish- father, husband, and police commissioner. Played by a young Michael Chiklis. GREAT character- had his dark moments, fear when his family was threatened by a mobster, his wife having a premature baby who may have had Down's syndrome, his son kidnapped by a child molester. A very real character.

That is what cracks me up about you- not enough life experieince to say a character or show is THE BEST EVAH as you seem to like to. The next twenty years will be very eyes-opening for you! ;)

S

Stonelesscutter

I can't make a top 5, so I'll just go with 1.
Richard Castle.
He really is ruggedly handsome isn't he.
That said Kate Beckett should also be mentioned so I guess they're both my number 1's.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
On a side note- Hubby and I went to see "the king's speech" on saturday- EXCELLENT movie- but the previews --:eek: omg what shit they are passing off as entertainment these days! we were offended by each of them. :(

What kind of previews were they and in what way were they offensive?

That is what cracks me up about you- not enough life experieince to say a character or show is THE BEST EVAH as you seem to like to. The next twenty years will be very eyes-opening for you! ;)

Calling The Wire the best ever was just poor choice of wording, but I couldn't think of anything else at the time since English is my second language.

Also, upon further consideration I've changed the character who holds the fourth place in my list.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
What kind of previews were they and in what way were they offensive?

Calling The Wire the best ever was just poor choice of wording, but I couldn't think of anything else at the time since English is my second language.

Also, upon further consideration I've changed the character who holds the fourth place in my list.

Oh interesting. I dont think i can narrow it down to 5. As my choices probably change on a miniute by miniute basis.

My current fave character (dont panic Raco i still love Rodney) is....

Bobbi Goren from Criminal Intent. I love Eames to. I just find Bobbie fascinating. Abused by his mother obviousley conflicted and able to get in the mindset of murderers, abusers etc.

Vincent D'Onifrio plays Bobbie to perfection. with the hand movemnets the twisted emotions etc. I totaly buy into the character.

others, obviousley Mckay! Detective Barnaby (Midsummer Murders) Aeryn Sun (Farscape) David Tennant (Dr Who)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to add some from V

In the SciFi genre, I would have to add Anna from V, and FORMALLY add Dr. McKay (loved his character, very unique), Seven of Nine from Voyager, and also River from Firefly. Carson Beckett should also be in there, unique character... Nicholas Tesla from Sanctuary, so many to choose from just in Science Fiction!

S

Stonelesscutter

I like Nicolai Tesla as well. But don't care much for dr. Beckett. I didn't like it when they killed him off in Atlantis but his accent was so dreadful and at times just excruciatingly annoying.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Oh interesting. I dont think i can narrow it down to 5. As my choices probably change on a miniute by miniute basis.

My current fave character (dont panic Raco i still love Rodney) is....

Bobbi Goren from Criminal Intent. I love Eames to. I just find Bobbie fascinating. Abused by his mother obviousley conflicted and able to get in the mindset of murderers, abusers etc.

Vincent D'Onifrio plays Bobbie to perfection. with the hand movemnets the twisted emotions etc. I totaly buy into the character.

others, obviousley Mckay! Detective Barnaby (Midsummer Murders) Aeryn Sun (Farscape) David Tennant (Dr Who)

I too love Bobby- probably the psychology standpoint is what I enjoy the most. i LOVED his nemisis- Nicole Wallace (played by Olivia D'Abo)- loved how she said "bobby" in that accent of hers. you know his BIG secret don't you?

the serial killer, Mark Ford Brady- played delicously by Roy Schieder, is bobby's biological father- he had the ME run a paternity test. Will that open the door to a "nature vs nurture" story line for bobby?

I agree with you :eek: -there are too many interesting and intriguing characters to narrow it down to five.

stclare

I too love Bobby- probably the psychology standpoint is what I enjoy the most. i LOVED his nemisis- Nicole Wallace (played by Olivia D'Abo)- loved how she said "bobby" in that accent of hers. you know his BIG secret don't you?

the serial killer, Mark Ford Brady- played delicously by Roy Schieder, is bobby's biological father- he had the ME run a paternity test. Will that open the door to a "nature vs nurture" story line for bobby?

I agree with you :eek: -there are too many interesting and intriguing characters to narrow it down to five.

Oh i hope there is a storyline follow up to that for bobby. but over in blighty i only get to catch it when its on chanel 5. which is flakey at best.

though when i put it on last week there was different detectives on it. i thought criminal intent with my faves has been cancelled, so?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Oh i hope there is a storyline follow up to that for bobby. but over in blighty i only get to catch it when its on chanel 5. which is flakey at best.

though when i put it on last week there was different detectives on it. i thought criminal intent with my faves has been cancelled, so?

they have been rotating between two sets of dectectives for the show for the past few years (VO wanted less camera time) and they have announced that season 10 will be the final season and Bobby will be back! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_%26_Order:_Criminal_Intent#Cast_and_characters >>>>you will find more info at that linky. :) So far there has not been any follow-up to bobby's secret.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Hahahah Bubbles. That ain't Bubbles — this is Bubbles:

Attachments

• bubbles256.jpg
    bubbles256.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 6,093
S

Stonelesscutter

Red Mage

Boney
they have been rotating between two sets of dectectives for the show for the past few years (VO wanted less camera time) and they have announced that season 10 will be the final season and Bobby will be back! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_&_Order:_Criminal_Intent#Cast_and_characters >>>>you will find more info at that linky. :) So far there has not been any follow-up to bobby's secret.

Nice. Season 9 wasn't the same without him. Jeff Goldblum's character was ok but it's good that Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathyrn Erbe are coming back so the series can be closed out properly.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Nice. Season 9 wasn't the same without him. Jeff Goldblum's character was ok but it's good that Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathyrn Erbe are coming back so the series can be closed out properly.

Loved D'Onofrio didn't think Erbe was a good actress. Kindva bland. The red head with the pixie cut was ugly as sin but she was at least interesting and the best out of the actress. Oh, sorry, IMO.

stclare

Not long now till the new season of Criminal intent. May 1st according to the wikki link by Rac above. Is anyone here watching and prepared to give me the heads up on what happens? Im gathering the UK will be behind by months as usual for these types of series.