William Shatner's CHAOS ON THE BRIDGE- the near un-making of ST:TNG

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Great Documentary!

great insights from showrunners on the creation of TNG and how it almost didn't get mad due to Roddenberry's heavy handedness and people like his lawyer meddling in things without his knowledge.

and Yaphet Kotto nearly won the role of Jean Luc Picard

Patrick Stewart walking off set when he saw that Good Morning America was using the set of the bridge for their morning live telecast. the weatherman was in the Picard costume. Stewart stormed away while giving a big "F YOU" :)

Roddenberry's suggestion for the script that introduced Risa as the pleasure planet; he suggested he wanted to see women making out with women and men with men. Picard would have been with a guy if this would have went into action.

he had some strange ideas in his later days.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-documentary-shows-how-gene-roddenberry-almost-kil-1721153875

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and who is this guy? a near Spiner look alike doing a screen test with Frakes?

tng-hideanq8.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
and who is this guy? a near Spiner look alike doing a screen test with Frakes?

tng-hideanq8.jpg

That looks like a very old pic of Frakes and I believe the man is John DeLancie.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That looks like a very old pic of Frakes and I believe the man is John DeLancie.
Q?

is this a scene from the farpoint ep or was he testing for the data role?

idk, everytime i try to watch the farpoint ep, i just can't

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It is a scene from Hide and Q, TNG Season 1.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Q?

is this a scene from the farpoint ep or was he testing for the data role?

idk, everytime i try to watch the farpoint ep, i just can't

I think Joelist nailed it. What's wrong with the Farpoint episode? Yeah, parts of it were cringey (particulary with Deanna Troi), but it was a decent episode.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think Joelist nailed it. What's wrong with the Farpoint episode? Yeah, parts of it were cringey (particulary with Deanna Troi), but it was a decent episode.

seemed to have a lot going on. all i got from it was the crew was assembled and Q put Picard on trial for the crimes of humanity

but i say this in no more criticism then many of us do of many shows in their first season

this docu does shed a lot of light on what we saw what we did in TNG though.

like how roddenberry's force of will-often carried out by his lawyer- who was caught amending scripts in roddenberry's name- was so controlling in the first 2 seasons- the plot driven eps vs the character driven a story and b story plus overall plot of the later seasons after roddenberry surrendered control then later died

another interest comment made in it- seems roddenberry and l ron hubbard were buddies

not surprising really- they both had a penchant for sci fi and 'visions of the future'-- one turned this into entertainment the other into a dictatorial "religion"

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I sense ,,,joy and gratitude,,,,,,,,,,,joy and gratitude ,,,,now float away

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Q. What was the difference between L. Ron Hubbard and Gene Roddenberry?

A. One formed a world wide religious cult, and the other wrote the book Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health.