VR during Lockdown and Beyond. Quest 2 and HP Reverb G2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's been a while since I posted here! So, lockdown for me started in March of 2020 and is still in effect until about the end of June 2021. In all that time, I have spent a lot of time and money in virtual reality. I have upgraded my Oculus Rift-S headset to an HP Reverb G2, and also upgraded my computer graphics from an Nvidia 1060 to a 1080ti (11gb) to run it. The games have improved a lot and there are lots more of them! I am still able to play my Oculus games on the Reverb G2 using ReVive in Steam. But enough about that. You can get in way easier and cheaper than this.

Buy a Quest 2, and you do not need a gaming computer or a computer at all, and you will be wireless! It is not on the level of a PC-connected headset, but you can come very close with the Oculus Link cable or wireless 6G router. In terms of bang for the buck, you can't beat it. Not yet. Be warned, all Oculus VR headsets are tied to a Facebook account and you do not have the option to opt-out. This was a dealbreaker for me which is why I no longer have my Rift-S and now have the HP Reverb G2. But if forced Facebook login is fine with you, this is a great deal. The graphics are good, gameplay is nice and smooth, and minimal screen-door effect.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What are you playing on your VR?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What are you playing on your VR?
I spend most of my time in VR playing Skyrim VR, No Man's Sky, Half-Life Alyx also where there are tons of DLC addons and an obscure but hilariously satisfying game called Drunkn Bar Fight. I also spend LOTS of time in VR environments for relaxation having nothing to do with shooting or winning. Nature Treks, Guided Meditation VR, Talos Principle, and the classic Quake which has been ported to VR.