Virtual Reality is worth investing in.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I mentioned this earlier, but my Guided Meditation VR app is my most regularly used VR app. I have come to integrate it into my morning sleep routine (because my clock is flipped so I can work graveyard). I come home, feed Siete, empty his box and drink a pint of water, then put on the headset and either allow the meditation app to guide me through a 5 or 10 minute meditation, or just set it in "motion" which floats you through the environment just above the ground, changing your location within each environment randomly. You can turn on music or leave it only to the natural sounds in the environment. In VR content, all sound is directional like it is in the real world. If you hear a waterfall, you can follow the sound to it, and as you turn your ears, the sound changes accordingly. It is all seamless and extremely realistic as though you were really there. Here is the video from the maker:

Apps like this are extremely cathartic. If you could actually walk through a forest or sit by the beach or atop a bluff overlooking the desert every morning, you would have a much lower stress level than if you didn't. VR allows you to do it easily. Sitting on your couch. :)

A second app called Nature Treks VR is much different in approach. There is no meditation, but the immersion is much much more integrated into the experience. You can freely move through the environments as though you were hiking and exploring the environment without any particular goal other than to relax and enjoy the surroundings. The trigger activated movement means you do not have to stand and walk, you just sort of glide, turning your head in the direction you want to go. Very smooth and relaxing to glide along the beach or down a forest path or climb rocks and hills. Beautiful graphics.

I love this one, because you can just walk around, and in most of them there is wildlife like deer, or tigers, or wild boars, or fish, and also birds in the sky which fly in flocks, or perhaps a random one or two will land in trees close by.

2D representations just do not convey the experience of VR. If you can, try a VR headset if you see one set up in Best Buy or anywhere else. It does not matter which brand/model you try, it's the virtual reality experience you should try in whatever way you can get it. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any phone based "virtual reality". Without controllers and precise tracking, the illusion is broken.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Another GREAT aspect of virtual reality gaming/experiences is the physical aspect of it. Playing a round of Superhot VR, Drunkn Bar Fight VR or a wide variety of other VR games will give you a physical workout vigorous enough to make you sweat! Games like Beat Saber and the other clones of it where you are wielding some sort of weapon while orbs, saucers, blocks or other stuff comes at you with the beat of the music, will have you burning massive calories playing it. You will be swinging your arms, ducking, jumping, etc.

I am currently loving this game, Drunkn Bar Fight VR it is so much fun to play! Hilarious:

You can pick up bottles and smash them over people's heads, plus other bars where you can use pipes, pool sticks, bricks, lots of silly dressed characters you beat up. It is freakin HILARIOUS and you will sweat playing it.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It feels like everyone will be jacked up to virtual reality like the matrix. Screw that
That seems a bit nonsensical to be honest. In the movies, like Ready Player One, a picture is painted of people addicted to VR living their entire lives within it. In reality, people have different drives, like eating and drinking and engaging with family and friends, and a whole lot of other things. Sitting in a chair or lying on a bed for a prolonged period of time really hurts, no matter how comfortable the bed or chair. Doing so with a mask/helmet on your head only heightens the inconvenience. Lose yourself in VR for a couple of hours, sure. It's no different from losing yourself in a regular video game, or a movie, or a concert. After a while, normal life resumes.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am forced to admit I don't understand the appeal of VR. The computer games I do play are complex strategy games where they are averaging the computational power of the computer to make the game more manageable for the players. I tried some first person shooters and really they evoked nothing from me.

I would think the only way VR would work would be for it to be so realistic your brain is tricked and thinks it IS reality. Just a thought.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I am forced to admit I don't understand the appeal of VR. The computer games I do play are complex strategy games where they are averaging the computational power of the computer to make the game more manageable for the players. I tried some first person shooters and really they evoked nothing from me.

I would think the only way VR would work would be for it to be so realistic your brain is tricked and thinks it IS reality. Just a thought.
Just because a headset puts you in a virtual environment that's so realistic that it's indistinguishable from actual reality, that doesn't mean you suddenly forget about your entire life and everything in it and no longer realize that you're in a virtual environment.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh I understand that Lord Ba'al. I was referring more to willing suspension of disbelief. If the VR isa not good enough to "trick my Brain" in perception terms then I have a difficult time suspending disbelief. I've been on some of the big, expensive rides in theme parks that use VR technology plus things like strategically placed speakers, shifting floors and so on to "put you there". It never worked for me. In a way I wish it did because other so obviously enjoyed it but my brain just kept telling me it was all fake.