Twitter, Facebook and Instagram are being purged.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yup.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
my FB group hasn't been harassed by FB any more that usual; maybe because when we changed the name, because of an inside joke we included 'safe zone' in the title?

threw off the sniffer dogs :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
seriously though.. one thing that is --has been- frustrating is that FB does not and will not tell you just what exactly their alg considers fake,false, offensive or dangerous

even a an admin and group founder, FB will not show me-in the accessible only to me, admin area, just what was in the offensive posts. so how can i know what to mod for and tell members to refrain from if FB is sharing their thoughts? It only states "we cannot share the removed material with you because it is offensive,false or dangerous"

its like -sort of "i got stopped for speeding, but the DOT has never told anyone what the speed limit is, because the cop said speeding is dangerous and me knowing the limit is not allowed"

and the options under "take action" are all negative.. who eliminates a member for one mistake particularly when neither me or the member knows FB thinks its naughty?

And, the kicker.. there is seemingly no way to contact FB for clarity, info or complaint

upload_2021-1-10_1-21-50.png

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
seriously though.. one thing that is --has been- frustrating is that FB does not and will not tell you just what exactly their alg considers fake,false, offensive or dangerous

even a an admin and group founder, FB will not show me-in the accessible only to me, admin area, just what was in the offensive posts. so how can i know what to mod for and tell members to refrain from if FB is sharing their thoughts? It only states "we cannot share the removed material with you because it is offensive,false or dangerous"

its like -sort of "i got stopped for speeding, but the DOT has never told anyone what the speed limit is, because the cop said speeding is dangerous and me knowing the limit is not allowed"

and the options under "take action" are all negative.. who eliminates a member for one mistake particularly when neither me or the member knows FB thinks its naughty?

And, the kicker.. there is seemingly no way to contact FB for clarity, info or complaint

View attachment 35581

Leaving Facebook was the clearest decision to make for me. I left it years ago. Twitter was promising, until they banned the sitting President. Now, Apple, Google and Amazon have killed the only competition Parler. When it has rebuilt, it will be like a huge magnet. LOTS of people are pissed off.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Leaving Facebook was the clearest decision to make for me. I left it years ago. Twitter was promising, until they banned the sitting President. Now, Apple, Google and Amazon have killed the only competition Parler. When it has rebuilt, it will be like a huge magnet. LOTS of people are pissed off.

take this comment out of " brotherly love" digital as it may be.. from one sci fi fan to another... you are starting to sound like DEEP STATE and Q conspiracists

PARLER advertised itself as a haven for conservative voice.. therefore it was doomed to be unbalanced from the start. and then it was not just all conservative, it became nearly all fringe -far right. leftists or even moderate dems were never going to sign up there in any number knowing this

twitter, imo, has always been a cesspool for shouting matches done in little tiny blurbs of attention getting text.. no need for any level of thought above the visceral and reptilian function of the brain

there is minds.com.. it is kind of set up on a xenforo type platform--that is its appearance and function are quite similar to here but, it is full of spammers, ppl selling sex and con artists... the "no censorship ever" policy allows that to happen

and i have never heard anything good about mewe

FB, for all of its faults, is still basically fair. so long as you don't post some blatantly crazy or dangerous shit like 'covid19 is a govt made control mechanism.. no one is dying' or that mike pence should be shot.. tha tkind of crazy.. you're good

there is a local fb group-- elk county 2a. i dont run it, just a member and it actually has members from all over the world.. they have been going from 2A issues and posts about guns and ammo to the election and theories on the "Steal"... sure they get fact checked, but as of 5 minutes ago, they are still up and running

i have seen some pretty crazy stuff posted on that group, so i can only imagine just how extreme the banned groups must be

as for what i posted above, i take that more of a glitch type of thing.. something fb needs to address by publishing an equivalent to hollywoods old list of the "banned words" that the ratings board put out to them in the 60's or 70's

i have noticed quite a few glitches between the old FB and the new FB since it went into effect in sept.

either way, my FB group is safe, its moderated by me and one other, we have found a way--which has been working for several months-- to work around the algorithm. it seems to only check attachments- memes, videos, not your original text and seems to check nothing in replies to a original post

so, anything we think might get the alg's attn we post the link to in the first reply not in the OP

if you want a place to interact and express your socio-political opinions-- those we cant do here-- of course i have a home for you.... :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/742181803195434

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
take this comment out of " brotherly love" digital as it may be.. from one sci fi fan to another... you are starting to sound like DEEP STATE and Q conspiracists

PARLER advertised itself as a haven for conservative voice.. therefore it was doomed to be unbalanced from the start. and then it was not just all conservative, it became nearly all fringe -far right. leftists or even moderate dems were never going to sign up there in any number knowing this

twitter, imo, has always been a cesspool for shouting matches done in little tiny blurbs of attention getting text.. no need for any level of thought above the visceral and reptilian function of the brain

there is minds.com.. it is kind of set up on a xenforo type platform--that is its appearance and function are quite similar to here but, it is full of spammers, ppl selling sex and con artists... the "no censorship ever" policy allows that to happen

and i have never heard anything good about mewe

FB, for all of its faults, is still basically fair. so long as you don't post some blatantly crazy or dangerous shit like 'covid19 is a govt made control mechanism.. no one is dying' or that mike pence should be shot.. tha tkind of crazy.. you're good

there is a local fb group-- elk county 2a. i dont run it, just a member and it actually has members from all over the world.. they have been going from 2A issues and posts about guns and ammo to the election and theories on the "Steal"... sure they get fact checked, but as of 5 minutes ago, they are still up and running

i have seen some pretty crazy stuff posted on that group, so i can only imagine just how extreme the banned groups must be

as for what i posted above, i take that more of a glitch type of thing.. something fb needs to address by publishing an equivalent to hollywoods old list of the "banned words" that the ratings board put out to them in the 60's or 70's

i have noticed quite a few glitches between the old FB and the new FB since it went into effect in sept.

either way, my FB group is safe, its moderated by me and one other, we have found a way--which has been working for several months-- to work around the algorithm. it seems to only check attachments- memes, videos, not your original text and seems to check nothing in replies to a original post

so, anything we think might get the alg's attn we post the link to in the first reply not in the OP

if you want a place to interact and express your socio-political opinions-- those we cant do here-- of course i have a home for you.... :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/742181803195434

Nothing on Facebook is "safe". If "safe" means that it is private and cannot be traced to a specific person in a specific location, then nothing is safe on Facebook or Google or Apple. The ability to make it "safe" is beyond your access and control, because you gave that access and control away the moment you created your Facebook account. Again, please understand I am not attacking or putting you down, I am just stating facts that perhaps you do not have. Two words: Cambridge Analytica. We know they got the data, but how is that data used? THAT is the question you need to ask.

Independent websites like this place and the old-style forums may be making a big comeback soon! Twitter is deleting conservative accounts as is Facebook, but even worse, Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the home of thousands of websites and web hosts as well. That means Amazon controls the internet presence of the "safe" private websites. Amazon may not control the content of these sites, and they have no power to censor anything, they can still boot them off AWS servers, leaving them with being forced to find alternatives.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Nothing on Facebook is "safe". If "safe" means that it is private and cannot be traced to a specific person in a specific location, then nothing is safe on Facebook or Google or Apple. The ability to make it "safe" is beyond your access and control, because you gave that access and control away the moment you created your Facebook account. Again, please understand I am not attacking or putting you down, I am just stating facts that perhaps you do not have. Two words: Cambridge Analytica. We know they got the data, but how is that data used? THAT is the question you need to ask.

Independent websites like this place and the old-style forums may be making a big comeback soon! Twitter is deleting conservative accounts as is Facebook, but even worse, Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the home of thousands of websites and web hosts as well. That means Amazon controls the internet presence of the "safe" private websites. Amazon may not control the content of these sites, and they have no power to censor anything, they can still boot them off AWS servers, leaving them with being forced to find alternatives.
:(

just where will you go then? and just what exactly, would ever typ in my little FB group that is SOOOOOOO important that some govt agency or contractor is going to hunt you down for it?

neither me or you are that important... its only about 204 ppl-- i have gotten like 40 new members in the last 4 days--- but in that and with them, i am very clear.. no name calling, no making posts they either dont include 'evidence' for or be willing to continue discussing-so no dropping posts and running away--- no cancel culture like blocking ,etc,etc

all i am saying is that we are safe on it.. FB safe, we do what we can to not attract their attention..

we have vibrant discussions and yeah, a lot of one offs that dont go anywhere.... i have ppl from greece, cuba, australia, canada and all over the US. many veterans including a large number of West Point grads. college professors and a few local politicians

it saddens me, i have trusted you for how long now? trusted with my personal thoughts, opinions, pics, the works and now you imply that what i have created is 'dangerous"?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:(

just where will you go then? and just what exactly, would ever typ in my little FB group that is SOOOOOOO important that some govt agency or contractor is going to hunt you down for it?

neither me or you are that important... its only about 204 ppl-- i have gotten like 40 new members in the last 4 days--- but in that and with them, i am very clear.. no name calling, no making posts they either dont include 'evidence' for or be willing to continue discussing-so no dropping posts and running away--- no cancel culture like blocking ,etc,etc

all i am saying is that we are safe on it.. FB safe, we do what we can to not attract their attention..

we have vibrant discussions and yeah, a lot of one offs that dont go anywhere.... i have ppl from greece, cuba, australia, canada and all over the US. many veterans including a large number of West Point grads. college professors and a few local politicians

it saddens me, i have trusted you for how long now? trusted with my personal thoughts, onions, pics, the works and now you imply that what i have created is 'dangerous"?

I am not going to argue the points of using or not using Facebook. I choose not to, but I have no problem with those who do. But to go further and say that they are safe or unsafe based upon incomplete information is probably not a good idea. I have recorded a ZERO percent yes answer to the question: Have you read Facebook's End User License (Facebook's "Terms of Service") https://www.facebook.com/terms.php . Why would you? I get it. But I have read most of it. Interesting read!

My contention with Facebook was fired up recently when Oculus announced that I would have to merge my account with a Facebook account in order to keep using my Oculus Rift-S VR headset. Because I bought the headset shortly after release, the oculus account can be used until 2023. But Facebook forced login was a dealbreaker, and I bought an HP Reverb G2 and have given the Rift-S to my neighbor. GIVEN it away. That is how much I hate Facebook.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
and just how much diff is it from TWITTER or anyone else's

my post is an observation, not an accusation

A lot. Almost 4500 pages different. Facebook is collecting the sort of datasets the CIA wanted to collect for decades but had no authority to get secretly. Facebook became an entity that eventually coerced its members to GIVE the information freely, or strongly influence them to do it (under threat of losing access to features or their accounts). They are now routinely asking members to upload photos of themselves, birth certificates, passports, ID cards and driver licenses, and the users cluelessly comply. They never even get to the part where they ask "WHY do you need this data and who will see it once I give it?". Cambridge Analytica. We know Facebook gave them the data for more than a billion people already. The real question is: WHAT happened to the data and how was it used?

Last edited:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
It's good when the companies let us know which side they are on because it lets us know where they stand. We can choose whether we want to participate or not. But if they all stand on the same side it will be like living in a George Orwell novel... :tongue:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
hey are now routinely asking members to upload photos of themselves, birth certificates, passports, ID cards and driver licenses
i have never been asked for any of that! and i have a cut out shape of a head and shoulders.. i dont believe there is one picture of me on there.. my daughter and dog, yes

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and as i have always said, twitter is and has been ridiculous.. what is it 200 characters or something limit? how do you have a conversation like that?

the lack of depth and detail due to these limitations seems to lead to a lot of miscommunication of intent and a lack of clarity of message

when i do go on it, it is mainly because i was directed there by a link someone gave me. i see a lot of "what do you mean about xyz?" "oh, no, i meant this, but then i forget to mention abc".. "WAIT" WHO are you talking to?"

its a great place to dump a comment bomb and then run away.. so is facebook, but at least in a group i can moderate that an kick someone out if they do not comply

long form posting forums will always be my first preference

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and places like PARLER brought their grief on themselves.. they advertised as the 'conservative twitter" so what liberal or biden voter is going to join?

doing this made themselves an easy target

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Last year I got rid of twitter and facebook because the dopamine it gave me was ridiculous. Sadly, the damage has been done.

Politics here in Australia is bullshit and boring, nothing more than two sides competing with each other in a verbal bash.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
i was part of the twitter "purge" - no explanation of why, just boom and 20K followers gone.! :P But then when a site is run by Rasputin

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
i was part of the twitter "purge" - no explanation of why, just boom and 20K followers gone.! :P But then when a site is run by Rasputin

Rac! Welcome back! How have you been?