Thoughts on HBO Max

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes I have HBO Max. Admittedly I am getting it as part of a Verizon package deal with my unlimited data plan (along with Hulu, ESPN and Disney+) but I do have it.

And so far I have to say it is pretty good! Not just because of the Warner Brothers films all showing up the same day they are released in the theaters but the other films and shows they have are decent also. I found stuff like the old NBC Buck Rogers TV series, Captain Blood, all the DC stuff including the various Batman films and more. When I compare it to Disney+ it had rather a lot more content (Disney+ really for me is Mandalorian and some other films like Journey to the Center of the Earth and such).

I'm not saying everyone should go rush and get it but I AM saying I get why its membership numbers have shot up and it is bucking Disney+ for the biggest streaming service. I do not think I would actually pay money for it (or any of them) but as a freebie it is a nice one.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes I have HBO Max. Admittedly I am getting it as part of a Verizon package deal with my unlimited data plan (along with Hulu, ESPN and Disney+) but I do have it.

And so far I have to say it is pretty good! Not just because of the Warner Brothers films all showing up the same day they are released in the theaters but the other films and shows they have are decent also. I found stuff like the old NBC Buck Rogers TV series, Captain Blood, all the DC stuff including the various Batman films and more. When I compare it to Disney+ it had rather a lot more content (Disney+ really for me is Mandalorian and some other films like Journey to the Center of the Earth and such).

I'm not saying everyone should go rush and get it but I AM saying I get why its membership numbers have shot up and it is bucking Disney+ for the biggest streaming service. I do not think I would actually pay money for it (or any of them) but as a freebie it is a nice one.
disney+ BAD BATCH! :)

------------
i have this as well (my son paid for it and added it for the Zack Snyder film). there are some things i am interested in, but not a lot

the worst thing for me is the player.. kind of klunky.. lots of drag in between screens

--------------------------
for the last few weeks i have been going in on good foreign crime drama on ACORN TV.. mostly stuff from NZ and Denmark. they make shows that have a minimal amount of violence- the kind shown on enough of to service the plot. unlike american tv where the violence is the plot

and of course the latest season of NZ's BROKENWOOD MYSTERIES. a great detective show in the nature of Columbo

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I am using a dedicated streaming box (friends got me an Apple TV box for Christmas) and it is a screamer. VERY stable and I have apps on it for HBO, Apple, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon and a bunch more.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
We have it too, and I also like it.
We were able to watch Onward and WW 1984 on it.
It has all the seasons of Friends and BBT too!

We use it through our Amazon Fire Cubes as a HULU add on.

It is a bit expensive though, so I will keep on eye on usage and remove as an upgrade from our HULU subscription if the content drops.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I like HBO Max a lot! I recently watched Army of the Dead at a friend's home who has it and ran the movie on a 4K tv. It was so exceedingly clear and crisp that I did not need to wear my glasses to watch it! It never glitched or stuttered, and the sound was excellent. I have it at home and I watched the Snyder Cut on it and loved it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Part of why Disney+ stopped growing and in fact started declining is that HBO Max actually has content. And that content is varied to boot and not (a la Disney) restricted to just one studio. They have leveraged their Warner Brothers deal they have this year (first run films release at same time on HBO Max) to draw people in and then when they are in they discover the catalog is pretty good.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I also discovered HBO Max for some reason has a bunch of Toho material on it. Some of it is in Japanese with ENG subtitles but others are ENG dubs. So the only way to tell is to start the film and see.