Thor: Love and Thunder

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Hmm... I'm surprised to find we didn't have a thread for this yet. I just left a comment on a YouTube video because someone said they hated the scene at the end where Thor gives his power to a group of children, because if he had that power he could have used that in previous movies for other important battles. I felt the need to reply to that. After I was done writing it, I figured it might make a good post here, so I'm just copying it below.

I can see an arc for Thor where he, despite having the appearance of a grown man, in the scale of Asgardian life is really more of an adolescent playboy than an adult. He's been kind of spoiled, being the son of the ruler of Asgard. He's been able to do what he likes when he likes. And what he enjoyed doing appears to be going to other planets and asserting his dominance. His father Odin clearly felt his son needed to be taught a lesson, thus banned Thor to earth without the comfort of his trusty hammer. During that first movie, Thor has to overcome a certain part of himself in order to grow up. But that doesn't immediately make him a wise man like Odin, rather it is the first step on a path he must travel. In subsequent movies, we see him growing as an adult and team player, but he is still far from completely serious. Take a look for example at the rivalry between him and Starlord. (I personally find that hilarious by the way.) Eventually, he ends up giving up being the ruler of Asgard to Valkyrie. He then leaves on some sort of semi-solitary path, which could perhaps be construed as a time in his life where he needs to go "find himself", like going on walkabout. Then, the Asgardian people are faced with a sudden threat. But, it's not just the people of Asgard, it's specifically the children of Asgard who are at risk. This leads to another moment of growth for Thor, perhaps it is even the final step on his way to true adulthood. You don't mess with someone's children. Even though these are not actually Thor's own children, he feels very much responsible for their wellbeing. The emotional magnitude of the situation is easily a moment of significant personal growth. Thor now grasps what it means to be the ruler and protector he was always supposed to become, despite rebelling against it earlier in life. Like his father Odin was able to bestow upon or take away power from the hammer, Thor now has the emotional maturity to be able to understand how such things work, and thus temporarily lend his power to the group of children. Thor has come of age.

That and of course the children are Asgardian, and perhaps bestowing the powers doesn't quite work the same with humans.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I actually thought we did have a thread somewhere. Love and Thunder was to a large extent a pretty awful misfire. Then again pretty much all of MCU Phase 4 has been the same. While Thor Ragnarok took a chance that worked in making Thor movie a lot more comedic Love and Thunder took it too far, making it so jokey that nothing had any gravity. This wasted Christian Bale's performance as well as that of Chris Helmsworth. Mikey Rourke as Zeus was just dumb, and indeed the whole pantheon plot was rubbish.

As to Thor transferring his powers it didn't matter much either way. The movie was awful, flopped and Waititi won't back in the Thor films .