SGU Ratings on imdb

SGU ratings on Imdb higher, lower or just about right?

• Higher

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Just about right

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Lower

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its currently sitting at 5/10 on imdb Do you think it deserves to be higher or lower or its just about right?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1286039/

Compared to SG-1 and SGA

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374455/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118480/

MUCH MUCH lower. I saw those same reviews when they were rated poor, and all that has happened is that the desperate squeedrones for that show have gone and skewed all the votes and comment ratings. They have done this to "save" the already dead show. If people were still paying attention to those reviews, the votes would go back to what they were originally. The easy way to prove this is to change the pull-down filter to "Hated It", and you will see 247 matches. But change the filter to "Loved It" and you will find 160. The order of the reviews has changed by means of ratings and vote manipulation, plain and simple.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
MUCH MUCH lower. I saw those same reviews when they were rated poor, and all that has happened is that the desperate squeedrones for that show have gone and skewed all the votes and comment ratings. They have done this to "save" the already dead show. If people were still paying attention to those reviews, the votes would go back to what they were originally. The easy way to prove this is to change the pull-down filter to "Hated It", and you will see 247 matches. But change the filter to "Loved It" and you will find 160. The order of the reviews has changed by means of ratings and vote manipulation, plain and simple.

Last year when I had a look at the ratings for SGU it was rating around 7.5/10 and and one day it rated as high as 8 :lol: I agree with you totally mate.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's odd

You really think so? I sorta expected it. I imagine that when SGU was nearing its final episode, fans of the show searched far and wide for signs of hope that the show could have a movie or be revived magically somehow. When they did that, they saw all the negative press, the negative reviews on IMdB, etc. A Facebook page opened up and magically spawned 7,000 members in three days. The Twitter was spammed by the thousands. I suspect that these were not single individuals, but a few individuals creating multiple accounts in order to have more votes. The only places where votes can be skewed is where there is no security to verify that they are not sockpuppets. Look to Amazon buyer reviews and sites like this one to get the real scoop. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
SGU is about right at 7.9 imo. Atlantis should be lower (than 8.2) and SG1 should be higher (than 8.5).

It's not like the sites are reliable though, you get people trying to drag the score up and down all the time.

Red Mage

Boney
It should be much lower than 7.9 Season 1 was so awful and the beginning of Season 2 was only slightly better therefore, the somewhat decent backend to Season 2 doesn't redeem the series as a whole.

Season 1.0 - D
Season 1.5 - F
Season 2.0 - C-
Season 2.5 - C
--------------------
6.75/10

Tropicana

Council Member
It should be much lower than 7.9 Season 1 was so awful and the beginning of Season 2 was only slightly better therefore, the somewhat decent backend to Season 2 doesn't redeem the series as a whole.

Season 1.0 - D
Season 1.5 - F
Season 2.0 - C-
Season 2.5 - C
--------------------
6.75/10
Agreed. 7.9 is way too high for the likes of SGU. If it was a true representation of the overall true opinion of this series, it would be around 6/6.5 max. 7.9 is due to deliberate manipulation of a few who can't handle that SGU was a bad series and it was reflected correctly, til some decided to lie about SGU and its quality overall. However, in the end it proved that SGU was out of squees' control. It was ironically - Destiny.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Amazon is running a special on SGU DVD's 36% off. Hurry up, before there are none left. Release date is 5/31/2011 reserve your copy today.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Hmmm... interesting.

Season 1.0 - D
Season 1.5 - F
Season 2.0 - C-
Season 2.5 - C
--------------------
6.75/10
I like your overview, but I disagree somewhat with you:

Season 1.0 - F+
Season 1.5 - D+
Season 2.0 - C
Season 2.5 - B-

The episodes "Earth" and "Life" in season 1.0 would almost neutralize any other redeeming qualities that season had - except for "Time", one of the series' best. The rest is similar, except that season 2.5 was really better than 2.0.

----------
Now, for the final grade:

F = 0
D = 2.5
C = 5.0
B = 7.5
A = 10.0

So for SGU, Total: 1 + 3.0 + 5 + 7.0 = 16 / 4 = 4.0

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Gonna give me view on it then.

1.0 - B-
1.5 - B
2.0 - B+
2.5 - A

There were some great episodes in every half season, I just think they better utilized the cast and found a smoother pace later on.

EDIT: Overall show rating B - in my mind just below an 8/10.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Gonna give me view on it then.

1.0 - B-
1.5 - B
2.0 - B+
2.5 - A

There were some great episodes in every half season, I just think they better utilized the cast and found a smoother pace later on.

EDIT: Overall show rating B - in my mind just below an 8/10.
At least we agree on the relative scores and the overall trend for each season, if not on the absolute scores. :lol:

Red Mage

Boney
The episodes "Earth" and "Life" in season 1.0 would almost neutralize any other redeeming qualities that season had - except for "Time", one of the series' best. The rest is similar, except that season 2.5 was really better than 2.0.

With season 1.0, I hated the episodes Earth, Life and Justice but liked Time and parts of Air. With Season 1.5, I hated Human, Pain, Faith and the Trio of Boredom (Subversion, Incursion 1 and Incursion 2) about as much as anything from Season 1.0 while there was no episode like Time that I actually liked which is why I gave the latter half of season 1 a lower score.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Time was THE best episode that SGU ever put out.I loved the camera work and the setting was great too. Still, 7.9/10 is way...too high for a show like that. To think it's rated HIGHER than voyager just makes me...nevermind!

Red Mage

Boney
Having too much time on my hands today, I went back and graded every single episode of SGU instead of just giving each half a season a grade based on overall impression like I did before. Ironically, the grades for each half season came out exactly the same.

Air 1: C- (1.7)
Air 2: C (2.0)
Air 3: C- (1.7)
Darkness: D (1.0)
Light: D (1.0)
Water: D (1.0)
Earth: F (0)
Time: A- (3.7)
Life: F (0)
Justice: F (0)
---------------
D (1.21)

Space: C (2.0)
Divided: C- (1.7)
Faith: D (1.0)
Human: F (0)
Lost: C- (1.7)
Sabotage: D (1)
Pain: F (0)
Subversion: F (0)
Incursion 1: F (0)
Incursion 2: F (0)
------------------
F (0.74)

Intervention: C- (1.7)
Aftermath: C- (1.7)
Awakening: B- (2.7)
Pathogen: D (1.0)
Cloverdale: F (0)
Trial and Error: C (2.0)
The Greater Good: C (2.0)
Malice: C- (1.7)
Visitation: D (1.0)
Resurgance: B- (2.7)
--------------------
C- (1.65) rounded up to (1.7)

Deliverance: C- (1.7)
Twin Destinies: B- (2.7)
Alliances: D (1.0)
Hope: D (1.0)
Seizure: D (1.0)
The Hunt: B- (2.7)
Common Descent: B- (2.7)
Epilogue: C+ (2.3)
Blockage: B- (2.7)
Gauntlet: B- (2.7)
----------------------
C (2.05)

Season 1.0: D (1.0)
Season 1.5: F (0)
Season 2.0: C- (1.7)
Season 2.5: C (2.0)
---------------------
D (1.175)

A: (4.0)
A-: (3.7)
B+: (3.3)
B: (3.0)
B-: (2.7)
C+: (2.3)
C: (2.0)
C-: (1.7)
D: (1.0)
F: (0)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Having too much time on my hands today, I went back and graded every single episode of SGU instead of just giving each half a season a grade based on overall impression like I did before. Ironically, the grades for each half season came out exactly the same.

Air 1: C- (1.7)
Air 2: C (2.0)
Air 3: C- (1.7)
Darkness: D (1.0)
Light: D (1.0)
Water: D (1.0)
Earth: F (0)
Time: A- (3.7)
Life: F (0)
Justice: F (0)
---------------
D (1.21)

Space: C (2.0)
Divided: C- (1.7)
Faith: D (1.0)
Human: F (0)
Lost: C- (1.7)
Sabotage: D (1)
Pain: F (0)
Subversion: F (0)
Incursion 1: F (0)
Incursion 2: F (0)
------------------
F (0.74)

Intervention: C- (1.7)
Aftermath: C- (1.7)
Awakening: B- (2.7)
Pathogen: D (1.0)
Cloverdale: F (0)
Trial and Error: C (2.0)
The Greater Good: C (2.0)
Malice: C- (1.7)
Visitation: D (1.0)
Resurgance: B- (2.7)
--------------------
C- (1.65) rounded up to (1.7)

Deliverance: C- (1.7)
Twin Destinies: B- (2.7)
Alliances: D (1.0)
Hope: D (1.0)
Seizure: D (1.0)
The Hunt: B- (2.7)
Common Descent: B- (2.7)
Epilogue: C+ (2.3)
Blockage: B- (2.7)
Gauntlet: B- (2.7)
----------------------
C (2.05)

<snip>
Yep, now I see where you're coming from. You rated the first season finale (3 episodes) very poorly with "F". They weren't good, but for consistency they were nowhere near "Earth" and "Life" territory!

You used college GPA points for grades (0-4), so to convert to an international scale of 0-10 all you have to do is multiply by 2.5.
Using the grades you gave each episode, I come up with an avg of 1.4125, which makes your final grade 3.5//

That's very close to my 4.0 :)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I wanted to try this for SGA for myself to cross check (SG1 is too much trouble going over 10 seasons, but maybe later...):

Season 1: A
Season 2: B-
Season 3: B+
Season 4: A-
Season 5: B

So my rating for SGA would be: (4 + 2.7 + 3.3 + 3.7 + 3)/5 * 2.5 = 8.4 (B+)//

Of course, when grading such shows people use a scale more like:
0-5 = horrible
5-7 = barely watchable
7-8 = so-so
8-9 = good
9-9.5 = very good
9.5-9.9 = awesome
9.9-10 = best show eva

On such a scale SGA would deserve somewhere around 9.5 and SGU a 6.0 imo.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I wanted to try this for SGA for myself to cross check (SG1 is too much trouble going over 10 seasons, but maybe later...):

Season 1: A
Season 2: B-
Season 3: B+
Season 4: A-
Season 5: B

So my rating for SGA would be: (4 + 2.7 + 3.3 + 3.7 + 3)/5 * 2.5 = 8.4 (B+)//

Of course, when grading such shows people use a scale more like:
0-5 = horrible
5-7 = barely watchable
7-8 = so-so
8-9 = good
9-9.5 = very good
9.5-9.9 = awesome
9.9-10 = best show eva

On such a scale SGA would deserve somewhere around 9.5 and SGU a 6.0 imo.

I'll do SGA as well:

Season 1 - A
Season 2 - B
Season 3 - B
Season 4 - C+
Season 5 - C

Overall I think that works out to roughly 7/10. Although its tough since SGA has more seasons and those later ones drag the score down. My scores do indicate decline in quiality for SGA and an increase in quality for SGU. I also rated SGU by half season as opposed to SGA - this could have shifted scores somewhat.

I prefer to use a 10 point scale with 5/10 meaning average.

1 - Unwatchable
2 - Terrible
3 - Bad
4 - Below average
5 - Average
6 - Above average
7 - Good
8 - Very good
9 - Brilliant
10 - Near perfection, best in genre (this varies, personal opinion has to decide between 9 and 10 really)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I know this isn't a public poll but just for the record, I voted Just about right based upon 5/10 and not the current IMDB 7.9/10. :P