SGU had potential or did it? [Moved posts from another thread]

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Strangely eough dude, I'm not buying that you truly found the idea of two people shagging in a broom closet "graphic and distasteful" :P
I will buy that it just wasn't "stargate" to do it/show it however. If the point of the scene was to show the fact security is lax, then yes, it was a silly way to go about it for a stargate show.

That sex scene turned out to be an epic fail on a couple different levels. It immediately alienated many fans who want their Stargate to be family friendly. It put the U.S. Air Force in a bad light - something SG1 and SGA rarely did. Plus, in the later episodes all of James' pining for Scott really weakened her character. :rolleyes:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
That sex scene turned out to be an epic fail on a couple different levels. It immediately alienated many fans who want their Stargate to be family friendly. It put the U.S. Air Force in a bad light - something SG1 and SGA rarely did. Plus, in the later episodes all of James' pining for Scott really weakened her character. :rolleyes:

that is my second biggest gripe about sgu...ALL of the females were seen through the prisms of their relationships (or in the lesbian's case lack there of) with men. James was heartbroken, Chloe was looking to replace her protective daddy, park was sleeping around, Camille was a lesbian, TJ was the long-suffering mistress...Where's the independent Sam? The "that's why I left him" Janet? where's the Vala who used men for her own ends instead of being used by them. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds a lot like a post I did in the old SGUS days about how utterly degrading SGUs treatment of women was.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Sounds a lot like a post I did in the old SGUS days about how utterly degrading SGUs treatment of women was.

I remember your essay very well. It was nicely written and went right along with my thinking. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The treatment of women in toto is yet another one of SGU's conceptual flaws. SGU was not good in concept and this is just another example of that.