Red Dawn 2012 - Not the film to watch when you're sick

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, I was up all night a couple of nights ago fighting a VERY acute bout of bronchitis and saw the new version of Red Dawn on Netflix. In my misery (hacking, sneezing and feeling like my lungs and head were tar paper) I thought "what the heck, at least it will have action"....

So how was it? After watching about half of it I tried to OD myself to end the horror but alas discovered I had just swallowed 50 Mentho Lyptus cough drops. Sadly even the effects of Menthol overdose were not enough to mask the sheer, overpowering stupidity of this dreck.

To try to describe this "movie" in brief, it is a loose remake of the John Milnius movie from the 80s that launched the careers of a fair number of actors/actresses including Patrick Swayze and Lea Thompson. The original depicted a Soviet bloc invasion of the US and the formation and actions of a partisan group of high school students calling themselves the Wolverines. The original is actually a pretty good movie once you get past the somewhat silly premise. It had solid action, good acting and the atmosphere was well created as the strain on the kids turns them into pretty rough fighters and they are slowly whittled away by attrition. The final scene of a fictional landmark after the end of the war was actually sort of touching.

Sadly the remake was a cinematic disaster. The new premise was totally ridiculous (North Korea invades the US? Sure....). To make it worse they managed to lose the very elements that gave the original its appeal. For example:

1) In the original the local commandant for the invaders was actually a somewhat sympathetic character who at the end lets the last Wolverines go. In the remake he is a stereotypical brute who is killed near the end.

2) The new movie has our guerillas get to steal a magic piece of technology that is supposed to "turn the tide". The original did a good thing by resisting the temptation to make our heroes into literal world savers as it makes everything cartoonish. They never got to do some wonderful single thing to turn the tide - it was just them making life miserable for the occupying forces.

3) The acting in the remake is supbar to be polite. And some of these cast members we KNOW are capable of better work (like Chris Helmsworth). But in this film they were more wooden than a telephone pole. In the original a lot of the acting was good, especially Swayze, Lea Thompson and Jennifer Grey. You really felt these were kids in over their heads at first who hardened into fighters but nonetheless there was a despair as they were slowly whittled away.

The original Red Dawn was for a particular era. It fit that era and was a solid film in its own right. This piece of dreck should never have been made. And I need to learn to just shut stuff off when it is apparent it is trash rather than hanging on in the vain hope it will get better.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, I was up all night a couple of nights ago fighting a VERY acute bout of bronchitis and saw the new version of Red Dawn on Netflix. In my misery (hacking, sneezing and feeling like my lungs and head were tar paper) I thought "what the heck, at least it will have action"....

So how was it? After watching about half of it I tried to OD myself to end the horror but alas discovered I had just swallowed 50 Mentho Lyptus cough drops. Sadly even the effects of Menthol overdose were not enough to mask the sheer, overpowering stupidity of this dreck.

To try to describe this "movie" in brief, it is a loose remake of the John Milnius movie from the 80s that launched the careers of a fair number of actors/actresses including Patrick Swayze and Lea Thompson. The original depicted a Soviet bloc invasion of the US and the formation and actions of a partisan group of high school students calling themselves the Wolverines. The original is actually a pretty good movie once you get past the somewhat silly premise. It had solid action, good acting and the atmosphere was well created as the strain on the kids turns them into pretty rough fighters and they are slowly whittled away by attrition. The final scene of a fictional landmark after the end of the war was actually sort of touching.

Sadly the remake was a cinematic disaster. The new premise was totally ridiculous (North Korea invades the US? Sure....). To make it worse they managed to lose the very elements that gave the original its appeal. For example:

1) In the original the local commandant for the invaders was actually a somewhat sympathetic character who at the end lets the last Wolverines go. In the remake he is a stereotypical brute who is killed near the end.

2) The new movie has our guerillas get to steal a magic piece of technology that is supposed to "turn the tide". The original did a good thing by resisting the temptation to make our heroes into literal world savers as it makes everything cartoonish. They never got to do some wonderful single thing to turn the tide - it was just them making life miserable for the occupying forces.

3) The acting in the remake is supbar to be polite. And some of these cast members we KNOW are capable of better work (like Chris Helmsworth). But in this film they were more wooden than a telephone pole. In the original a lot of the acting was good, especially Swayze, Lea Thompson and Jennifer Grey. You really felt these were kids in over their heads at first who hardened into fighters but nonetheless there was a despair as they were slowly whittled away.

The original Red Dawn was for a particular era. It fit that era and was a solid film in its own right. This piece of dreck should never have been made. And I need to learn to just shut stuff off when it is apparent it is trash rather than hanging on in the vain hope it will get better.

This is on Netflix, I think. I will watch it, just to see what you are talking about...but I already know it will suck. :( You cant do Red Dawn in a post-Cold War world without Russians from the USSR. It wouldn't work with North Korea. Evidently, from your review...it doesnt. The whole side story about the girl and the guy could never work with a North Korean and an American. I dont even know how they did this one, but I liked the original. Ill post again after watching it. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
we recently watched it- borrowed from a friend...it was an insult to the original! We own and love the original- besides interesting commentary for the time it had a lot of up and comers- from Charlie sheen to C Thomas Howell to Patrick swayze to lea thompson and Jennifer Grey. The acting was very good. this new one has chris helmsworth - yeah that was it - I'd watch him read the phone book aloud! ;) otherwise where do i go to get that time back? :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
we recently watched it- borrowed from a friend...it was an insult to the original! We own and love the original- besides interesting commentary for the time it had a lot of up and comers- from Charlie sheen to C Thomas Howell to Patrick swayze to lea thompson and Jennifer Grey. The acting was very good. this new one has chris helmsworth - yeah that was it - I'd watch him read the phone book aloud! ;) otherwise where do i go to get that time back? :P

Well don't accidentally ingest 50 Mentho Lyptus cough drops.....:) (which was of course a joke as was the OD bit - after this bout I hate cough drops with a passion).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OH MY GOD. I just watched this...just :facepalm:. North Korea??? Really?????

:smiley_talktothehand: :GFbitchplease:

I think Hemsworth did good with what he was working with, but the premise was shit. Paratroopers? From North Korea??? And they actually had time to hang flags and shit? It was an insult to my intelligence. :facepalm:

If I cant suspend belief and accept the idea that North Korea has invaded the US and is occupying the cities, then I cant really believe the rest of the movie. At some point, I tried ignoring that they were North Korean, imagining instead that they were China (as originally intended), but it still didnt work. :( Why the "Wolverines"? Did the Marine guy really say he came to the kids for "help" with stealing the radio? Where the hell was the local National Guard? *sigh* You have tp throw all logic out the window to even watch this flick.

This movie insults the original movie by implying a connection where there is none (not even in the story). There were a few borrowed lines, but thats it. Standing alone, this movie is still marginal at best. :bored:

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The more you think about it the worse it gets. Not only does it not hold up at first glance but the closer you look the more mind numbingly stupid it gets. If anything, watching this dreck increases appreciation of the original.

At least you didn't have an acute bronchial infection while watching it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The more you think about it the worse it gets. Not only does it not hold up at first glance but the closer you look the more mind numbingly stupid it gets. If anything, watching this dreck increases appreciation of the original.

At least you didn't have an acute bronchial infection while watching it.

What the hell was that beginning about? I even get alerts when there are going to be high winds, complete with satellite photos used on every broadcast. But they didnt detect Korean squadrons flying into US airspace? Not even a radio blackout can explain that one. :facepalm:. What happened to the US military? Were they all on vacation??? INSULTING. And to top it off, they were still under NK rule when the movie ended (spoiler be damned). Were they really implying that they wanted to do a sequel??? No thanks.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
None of the actors or their acting in this one can compare to the original. Like you have said, the original was more 'grounded' and had no 'world saving' it was local ppl having local impact.

I found it pathetic that TPTB picked and chose what from the original they copied and did it badly-like the 'pop up from the holes in the ground and shoot the bad guys' bit. Just how did they manage to dig those holes in the middle of an occupied city?

How are the getting in and out of the city from their 'batcave'? We see a massive NK and then Russian presence and these kids are just strolling in and out at will? I don't think so. Better to have had them based in a basement or sewer somewhere then out in the woods.

Am I mis-remembering but did they copy the hunting scene and drinking the deer blood also? Didn't fit these characters.

At the end of this one -set up for a sequel?-we see them organizing a small army.

If you listened with a tin can to your speaker-you can just make out that the Russians are actually behind the invasion and that they supplied the aircraft and transport of the NK army to Seattle-or wherever.

There were political issues when making the film, it was originally supposed to be the Chinese invading but then no one wanted to offend them so it was switched up. I am sure they were less concerned about Russia-they don't stock our shelves- but they still made small mention of it (I think it was when we see a Spetsnaz soldier on the podium at the town parade-one of the retired guys tell the kids about the scenario.

Where is the national guard you say? If any reported for duty, they wold be at an assembly area at a central location-most states have a central NG base. That is where the ammo is and where all of the major supplies are.

Sadly, your local 'Billy and Bobs' sports store is going to have more 5.56 and 9 mm ammo then any NG unit.

In the area of this action though, there is Joint Base Lewis-McChord (Army and Airforce). That probably would have been a major tgt of their "new weapon" that EMP weapon they said was used. That would have effected the entire region. However, TPTB's got it wrong; all military tactical vehicles are made so as not to be harmed by EMP. Same with all tactical use equipment from laptops to gunnery systems.

When those 'retired military' guys showed up (remember they said they were now members of the 'new free American Army; and were 'til recently retired'?). Maybe. Can the Dod 'recall retirees? Yes. And they did recall a few from 02 till about 07, but those were ppl in very specific low density MOS's. That is, the jobs that are hard to fill, have long trng periods and are 'stretched thin'-back then they recalled Arabic linguists, some very low key electronics ppl and Corrections Officers (no doubt for GITMO).

These guys in the film are all infantry-I seriously doubt that after spending 20yrs s Infantry they would be in any condition to do the stuff we see them doing-but thats Hollywood.

And what about South Korea-conveniently not mentioned after the opening. NK has a large military but it is not big enough to be shipped to the US and to deal with South Korea and the US forces there.

Are we to believe that China would just sit back and allow their largest market to be taken over? Or to lose their money with everything we owe them? Nope. They should have at least made mention of them one way or the other.

Dumb

And where did the NK army get all of those military grade Hummvee's? Yeah ,more Hollywood.

Hemsworth should stick to Asgard and Peck should stay with Nickelodeon. IMO, Cruise's adopted son was not good either. They made a big deal of him before hand.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
OH MY GOD. I just watched this...just :facepalm:. North Korea??? Really?????

:smiley_talktothehand: :GFbitchplease:

I think Hemsworth did good with what he was working with, but the premise was shit. Paratroopers? From North Korea??? And they actually had time to hang flags and shit? It was an insult to my intelligence. :facepalm:

If I cant suspend belief and accept the idea that North Korea has invaded the US and is occupying the cities, then I cant really believe the rest of the movie. At some point, I tried ignoring that they were North Korean, imagining instead that they were China (as originally intended), but it still didnt work. :( Why the "Wolverines"? Did the Marine guy really say he came to the kids for "help" with stealing the radio? Where the hell was the local National Guard? *sigh* You have tp throw all logic out the window to even watch this flick.

This movie insults the original movie by implying a connection where there is none (not even in the story). There were a few borrowed lines, but thats it. Standing alone, this movie is still marginal at best. :bored:

"Wolverines" was a direct lift from the original

Would have been an interesting conundrum for TPTB if in the original the school team had been the "Redskins" or "Chiefs", yes?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Well don't accidentally ingest 50 Mentho Lyptus cough drops.....:) (which was of course a joke as was the OD bit - after this bout I hate cough drops with a passion).
yeah for weeks after a bad cold I can't even smell a cough drop w/o gagging! :P so very sick of those! glad you are doing better. :D