Picard continuity questions and issues

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The running tally to date that I know of (3/22):

1) Guinan does not know Picard despite Time's Arrow (and no Guinan could not be a time traveler).

2) Ten Forward was named such in TNG because of its physical location on the Enterprise D.

3) Picard says Starfleet did not use human psychologists in the past (TNG says otherwise).

4) Picard's Mom insane despite MULTIPLE TOS and TNG episodes showing and saying they had cured mental illness.

5) Picard's Dad completely different character than the one we saw in TNG (Tapestry).

6) Picard's explanation of who Gary Seven is and his purpose differs from TOS Assignment Earth.

I decided to start with these - there are others.

The issue here is not an expectation that the writers have total knowledge of Trek. But basic due diligence should have told them to (for example) research the specific characters and plot elements they were referring to and reusing from older shows. A simple web search on Guinan for example would have had Time's Arrow front and center. Having plot discrepancies on minor items is one thing but stuff like Guinan and Picard's relationship, Ten Forward and Picard's family backstory aren't minor - they point to lazy writers.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
it could be argued that everything seen in Picard's dream state-- altered in anyway by his now having a positronic brain?-- is not reliable

10 fwd- yup, with ya

Gary 7? what is the difference in descriptions between TOS and Picard's? It would be entirely possible that even a PICARD with his positronic brain- since it is 'loaded' with his memory engrams taken from his advanced aged organic brain, are "fuzzy" and he is just wrong

BUT, we already know 'they' are not going to explain any of this, don't we? :(

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gary Seven was not there to preserve history - he was there to preserve humanity until it matured (per Assignment Earth). He also was not from the future but from the same time as the episode - and stayed there.

If you want to see another Roddenberry presentation of the Assignment Earth pilot (which again did not get its series - this time because the networks wanted too many changes for Roddenberry), watch the movie The Questor Tapes.

As to all the continuity issues, if they actually had Picard start noticing them and speaking up and they became clues that our "heroes" are in some alternate reality or something that would actually be kinda clever. Remember TNG did that in an episode where Riker started noticing such disconnects and realized he was in a manipulated reality.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
watch the movie The Questor Tapes
i probably watched this when i was a kid,,,but

The Questor Tapes featuring Robert Foxworth and Mike Farrell is not currently available to stream, rent, or buy but
why NOT have this film available in some way? some estate or company holding out for more money.. something else? interesting how so many old movies are just not available now online but were so, even just a few years ago

now, here's an interesting bit, of course i am a connecting it to my assumptions of PICARDs failing memory (given it is copied from his advance aged, elderly organic brain)

Picard as Questor:

""But Vaslovik seems to have installed a secret program in Questor's brain: He flees and starts to search for Vaslovik. Since half of his knowledge is missing, he needs the help of Jerry Robinson, who's now under suspect of having stolen the android.""

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's called bingeing late night because I've been on late nights recently.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have to ask, does this means others besides hubby and me and actually watching all the eps?
I am.. but your question raises another question; those of us responding to each other now constitute the majority of those participating in GF's :(

so, by THAT rubric- PICARD is a hit!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And....we have a new one!

7) Vulcans did NOT mind meld until after the Kir Shara Enterprise episodes. And the first time Vulcans landed on Earth was 1957 (ENT episode Carbon Creek).

Again this is not a tiny thing and would not be hard to discover - just search the web for "Vulcans" and it is there.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And the first time Vulcans landed on Earth was 1957
why would this episode counter that? this was not before 1957

and, i remember in enterprise it being said something like "radical elements/vulcans" mind melded, we dont know that this vulcan wasn't one

stretching, yes, but would still fit canon based on that one, seemingly throwaway line in ENTERPRISE

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Those Vulcans were hiding from the rest not conducting survey missions. So yes this is yet another continuity issue.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Those Vulcans were hiding from the rest not conducting survey missions. So yes this is yet another continuity issue.
watch the scene

there was no one else there to see him try to meld except one other vulcan, and the meld was not successful anyhow

its just IMPOSSIBLE for you or anyone to say that NO VULCAN ever before the one episode of ENTERPISE ever did a MM

its THEIR story, the company who owns it, not ours; not yours they can tell the story how they like. preferably its remains a way that is tolerable and enjoyable and NOT like DISCOVERY

if you or anyone tries to say that PICARD is as DISC is, sorry, that is just disingenuous

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi YJ!

I am just holding Picard to a reasonable standard, namely that if it is going to utilize characters and other elements from past Trek it needs to be accurate in its representation in those cases. Also the viewer should not be expected to perform mental gymnastics to make what they are seeing fit. I am not asking for nitpicking detailed accuracy visually or otherwise, but do expect the writers to have done basic research on what they are using and to follow that research.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And a new one....

Jurati says the Borg always lose in EVERY universe and reality - TNG Parallels says otherwise.

Just reinforcing what I said earlier - even a cursory web search would have told them where they have conflicts they could resolve.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And our newest contestant.....Seven says she tried to join Starfleet but was rejected because they don't allow individuals with Borg elements in - Icheb would be fascinated to hear that.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And so the list ends at 9 I noticed - I suspect there are more.

There is a good reason even places like IGN who usually like NuTrek disliked Picard - the writing is lazy, sloppy and short on logic in key places. I would also note I didn't even list Lesbian Seven although it is possibly contestant #1 - this is because it goes to the other issue of NONE of the characters brought in from TNG and VOY being even remotely true to their established selves.

Picard is a show that namedrops Trek but the writers haven't a clue about Trek.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I absolutely LOATHE this show. It has had a retroactive effect on TNG, which is now difficult for me to watch because of how Sir Patrick Stewart butchered the Jean Luc Picard character. Do people realize that he did not write the character in TNG or the movies? The character named Picard in the show is a completely different character in a different universe that isn't even remotely parallel or in the same dimension as Star Trek post TNG-era. In my opinion, of course. There is so much to say about that! @Joelist I love your list. I will have to think of more!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I absolutely LOATHE this show. It has had a retroactive effect on TNG, which is now difficult for me to watch because of how Sir Patrick Stewart butchered the Jean Luc Picard character. Do people realize that he did not write the character in TNG or the movies? The character named Picard in the show is a completely different character in a different universe that isn't even remotely parallel or in the same dimension as Star Trek post TNG-era. In my opinion, of course. There is so much to say about that! @Joelist I love your list. I will have to think of more!
when does you original ST series come out? Just asking, as you have had all this time to absorb ,criticize and learn from the mistakes of others, so, just wondering when? :)