Pacific Rim - Uprising

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wow, our fears have materialized. The Pacific Rim 2 sequel (Pacific Rim: Uprising) has not been well received. "Sloppy seconds"? Ouch.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/03/20/pacific-rim-uprising-is-a-tedious-sloppy-seconds-sequel-ew-review/

If you enjoyed 2013’s Pacific Rim but secretly wished it was more like a vapid Transformers sequel, then you’ll love Pacific Rim Uprising. Everyone else can give this heavy-metal howler a hard pass. Thanks to the freaky vision of Guillermo del Toro, the first installment in the giant robots-vs.-giant sea monsters battle royal at least had a blast of old-school Godzilla-on-Monster Island nostalgia. Now, under the limp reins of director Steven S. DeKnight (TV’s Daredevil), the follow-up feels like a flat cocktail of tedious mayhem, amateur-hour Starship Troopers-level acting (minus the tongue-in-cheek irony), and plot holes so gaping that a 20-story radioactive iguana could rampage right through them.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have not yet seen this. But even though early reviews are not great, I still plan to see it. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So far everything I am hearing is that this one totally lacks Del Toro’s artistic touch that made the first one work, and that it especially treats the characters from the first one poorly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh my...I am watching this right now. Not happy with this one so far. No spoilers. The writing is terrible so far, and the characters are mostly all cutouts. The leadership role which was filled by Pentacost has no counterpart in this movie. His son, Jake Pentacost (John Boyega) does a decent job, but the dialogue they give everyone in the film is wooden. Mako is in it (the original actress), but she does not take any leadership role. She has more than a cameo role in the film and it was good to see her. They have introduced a new main character, Namani, but she is overdone and makes things feel more like Transformers with a female in the role of Sam Witwicky. But not. Hard to describe how she changes it, but she does in a big way. The new team leader is a dickish character, and he and Jake are frenemies. Both the eccentric doctors make it into this film, but one of them has been changed in his personality and is no longer that cool like he was in the first movie (the frantic doc with the tattoos).

The major difference in this movie is well...the Jaegers and the Kaiju. The Jaegers all behave like transformer beings, and when they are hurt they actually clutch themselves as if actually injured. They also show the jaeger pilots in the cockpit in drifting mode, during the battles. Still, you feel a distinct disconnect between the fighting jaegers and the pilots. All the Jaegers have themselves become personalities with their own names (like in the first movie), but now they are like car models, and this new Namani gushes over them. To tell you more about how the Jaegers "interact", I would have to spoil it, so I won't. The kaiju scenes were good, in the classic Kaiju way. The Jaegers though, especially fighting as a team, are irritatingly close to Power Rangers. At one point, they are dropped from helicopters one at a time as if to introduce them, and the last one literally SLIDES into place (like a baseball player sliding into first). There is a pause while all four of them are lined up in a classic power rangers posed stance.

Pacific-Rim-2-Jaegers.jpg

There is CGI overload in this thing. Hologram this, flames that, beams and floating interactive displays, everything is maxed out to the hilt and is at times distracting. There is a lot of harking back to the first movie and it's story elements (reminiscing about daddy Pentacost and his adopted sister, Mako). By the end of the movie, Namani and Jake have a relationship similar to Finn and Rey in Star Wars (groan). There is lots of action, destruction, explosions and battling in this movie. So, it's a great popcorn flick. But it does not carry the same feel as Pacific Rim did, even if most of the elements are still in place.

I'm not sure what else to say at this point until others here have seen it. All in all, it's worth a look, and perhaps a theater ticket if you just want to have a movie night.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I haven't been interested in this since the first time I've heard someone mention it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I haven't been interested in this since the first time I've heard someone mention it.

Its in a "bag" of films now, and Transformers and Power Rangers are in the same bag. This movie and any Transformers or Power Rangers movie would easily be equally as entertaining, if that is what you wanted to see. The first Pacific Rim was in a class by itself, and it did lay the foundation for this film but it (this movie) did not carry that epic feel forward as much as it branched off from it.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I admit I am really disappointed by this film, especially after Del Toro actually made a good, artsy film. I was afraid back when we saw the first teasers that this new director did not "get" what made the first film so good.

What made the original a classic was precisely that it was NOT "Power Rangers" or "Transformers". The Kaiju and Jaegers moved and felt massive, the Jaegers felt like vehicles and not robots and as a result the tone of the film was right.