Oh wow...Malificent coming May 30. Evil woman protagonist!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Its about time. :) I have wanted to see a woman Baddie for a while. The last half hearted attempt at it was Elysium with Jodie Foster. Before that was perhaps Anna on ABC's V. But this big screen Bad Girl is being played by Angelina Jolie. Looks very interesting!

Im not sure what audience this is being marketed to...looks like it could be something on the level of a Harry Potter?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sleeping Beauty reimagined.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is it like Wicked in that it's told from the perspective of the evil antagonist?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I understand that the viewer will be getting more backstory on why she is the way she is. In the original Disney animated flick, she was rather one-dimensional, after all:

Show up. Make pithy comments. Curse the kid. Leave.

I like knowing WHY a character does the things s/he does. We didn't get that in the cartoon version.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I understand that the viewer will be getting more backstory on why she is the way she is. In the original Disney animated flick, she was rather one-dimensional, after all:

Show up. Make pithy comments. Curse the kid. Leave.

I like knowing WHY a character does the things s/he does. We didn't get that in the cartoon version.

Precisely. I love knowing WHY too. :) Why is the witch evil? Why is any witch evil as opposed to a "good" witch like say...Glenda from Oz or Samantha from Bewitched or the good witch in The Witches (one of my favorite kid films, British made with Angelica Huston). This one looks good because as you say, it looks like we are going to find out some of the WHY. :)