'OBLIVION' Despite having Tom Cruise, will this flick be any good?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I'm planning to see it. I don't care about actors and their fits of insanity outside the studio as long as they make movies worth watching.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
"Despite having Tom Cruise"...:anim_59: Is that supposed to be a plus for this thing? :happy0007:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm planning to see it. I don't care about actors and their fits of insanity outside the studio as long as they make movies worth watching.
same! and i dont mind good <cg and this one seems to have a tonne of purdy stuff to look at.

I'll just leave this right here. :ronnon_whistling:

Sheeple-Government-Handouts-35-Percent-Of-U.S.-Wages-But-For-Michael-Moore-That-Is-Not-Nearly-Enough.png

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I saw this today at an IMAX. It wasn't terrible but it wouldn't call it great either - it sort of dragged a bit IMO. The CGI was fine but the story was a little clumsy. They delayed introducing an actor long enough that I figured out the first plot twist on my own. :P

My friends liked it but they didn't notice the plot holes until I pointed them out when we were leaving. LOL.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I saw this today at an IMAX. It wasn't terrible but it wouldn't call it great either - it sort of dragged a bit IMO. The CGI was fine but the story was a little clumsy. They delayed introducing an actor long enough that I figured out the first plot twist on my own. :P

My friends liked it but they didn't notice the plot holes until I pointed them out when we were leaving. LOL.

Couple questions:

#1. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan and would never pay top dollar to see anything he stars in, but would you say that for people who don't hate Tom Cruise that this movie is worth seeing at the theater?

#2. Now when you mention you were with your friends and say "...when we were leaving" do you mean you were voluntarily leaving the theater or had management asked you to leave...again?

#3. Is the actor that was introduced later on the same one who was in Driving Miss Daisy?

#4. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Couple questions:

#1. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan and would never pay top dollar to see anything he stars in, but would you say that for people who don't hate Tom Cruise that this movie is worth seeing at the theater?

#2. Now when you mention you were with your friends and say "...when we were leaving" do you mean you were voluntarily leaving the theater or had management asked you to leave...again?

#3. Is the actor that was introduced later on the same one who was in Driving Miss Daisy?

:smiley-laughing024:

I still not getting this Tom Cruise as a "draw" thing. :) Really? I just hope that the movie does well, EVEN THOUGH it has Tom Cruise in it. Oh, how I long for some real science fiction...:moody:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Couple questions:

:icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
:smiley-laughing024:

I still not getting this Tom Cruise as a "draw" thing. :) Really? I just hope that the movie does well, EVEN THOUGH it has Tom Cruise in it. Oh, how I long for some real science fiction...:moody:

i have said this before and IMO, cruise is no draw for anyone save maybe some forty something ladies who still drool over him from the '80s.

i really believe that cruise is in this "hyper work" theme-one movie after the other, not because he is so wanted (who is his agent anyhow? wonder if it is another "church" member?) but because he is trying to embody the logos,ethos and mythos of L.Ron Hubbard's "gospel"--trying to give physical proof that a faithful adherent to the ways of spaghetti strainer proselytizing and its power giving effects to the user---"if i (cruise) can do all of this (control a wife (?),and act in so many movies back to back) then you, simple everday man, could surely excel at your life if you take up the way of Ron"

nope, can't prove it, can't cite anything just from what I have read on the "group (cult?)" and their actions it seems to me that cruise is an excellent recruiter for the cause.

however, i did see an extended trailer/footage on HBO's 'first look'-from that it looks like it is an OK movie. given that it was on 'first look' i'll wait the 6 or so months until it is on HBO to see it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i have said this before and IMO, cruise is no draw for anyone save maybe some forty something ladies who still drool over him from the '80s.

i really believe that cruise is in this "hyper work" theme-one movie after the other, not because he is so wanted (who is his agent anyhow? wonder if it is another "church" member?) but because he is trying to embody the logos,ethos and mythos of L.Ron Hubbard's "gospel"--trying to give physical proof that a faithful adherent to the ways of spaghetti strainer proselytizing and its power giving effects to the user---"if i (cruise) can do all of this (control a wife (?),and act in so many movies back to back) then you, simple everday man, could surely excel at your life if you take up the way of Ron"

nope, can't prove it, can't cite anything just from what I have read on the "group (cult?)" and their actions it seems to me that cruise is an excellent recruiter for the cause.

however, i did see an extended trailer/footage on HBO's 'first look'-from that it looks like it is an OK movie. given that it was on 'first look' i'll wait the 6 or so months until it is on HBO to see it.

Completely agree. :) Tom Cruise being in a movie makes it suspect IMO. Same with Colin Farrell and Nicholas Cage. Its like if they ARE in a movie, it makes that movie suspicious. Is the movie going to completely suck because they have to pay too much to these actors to be in them? The last War of the Worlds movie with him in it did absolutely nothing for me. I haven't bothered with the Mission Impossible movies because he is in them.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Couple questions:

1. I don't hate Tom Cruise, but I wouldn't pay top dollar again to see this at an IMAX. Some people sitting behind me actually applauded when the movie ended. I'm not sure if that meant they were thrilled with the ending or just happy to be finally done with it. I kept trying to figure out if I was watching Planet of the Apes, Mad Max, or Independence Day.
  2. No beer bottles rolled this trip and we attend movies in disguise just in case our photos are still on file.
  3. :)
  4. Three.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Completely agree. :) Tom Cruise being in a movie makes it suspect IMO. Same with Colin Farrell and Nicholas Cage. Its like if they ARE in a movie, it makes that movie suspicious. Is the movie going to completely suck because they have to pay too much to these actors to be in them? The last War of the Worlds movie with him in it did absolutely nothing for me. I haven't bothered with the Mission Impossible movies because he is in them.

The "draw" factor really hurts some (and i stress "some") other projects without "the name"

for example-imo, there is a great movie (it does have a few production faults, maybe a little over zealous acting) on NETFLIX. it has no big names but is still a good sci fi low budget--not low quality for ideas,plot etc

LUNOPOLIS--watch it if you get the time and tell me if the script or other plot issues would be different if a "big name" were in it? i doubt that it would--that means-in the end-a movie isn't great just because of who is in it--of we know that--and smaller movies that can be entertaining are overlooked only because of the cast

i could totally vision LUNOPOLIS as a "buddy movie" with say Cruise and Matt Damon with the script unchanged--it would probably make millions

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The "draw" factor really hurts some (and i stress "some") other projects without "the name"

for example-imo, there is a great movie (it does have a few production faults, maybe a little over zealous acting) on NETFLIX. it has no big names but is still a good sci fi low budget--not low quality for ideas,plot etc

LUNOPOLIS--watch it if you get the time and tell me if the script or other plot issues would be different if a "big name" were in it? i doubt that it would--that means-in the end-a movie isn't great just because of who is in it--of we know that--and smaller movies that can be entertaining are overlooked only because of the cast

GREAT movie! Many movies would still be great without their "headliner actor" in it. Some terrible movies are not made better by having a name in them. SGU tried to use Robert Carlyle as a draw for the show, but the show was so lame that even having Tom Cruise in it would not have helped.

i could totally vision LUNOPOLIS as a "buddy movie" with say Cruise and Matt Damon with the script unchanged--it would probably make millions

No doubt!

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
  1. I don't hate Tom Cruise, but I wouldn't pay top dollar again to see this at an IMAX. Some people sitting behind me actually applauded when the movie ended. I'm not sure if that meant they were thrilled with the ending or just happy to be finally done with it. I kept trying to figure out if I was watching Planet of the Apes, Mad Max, or Independence Day.
  2. No beer bottles rolled this trip and we attend movies in disguise just in case our photos are still on file.
  3. :)
  4. Three.
aplauding a Movie? wow... fuk'n retards....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
GREAT movie! Many movies would still be great without their "headliner actor" in it. Some terrible movies are not made better by having a name in them. SGU tried to use Robert Carlyle as a draw for the show, but the show was so lame that even having Tom Cruise in it would not have helped.

No doubt!

have you seen LUNOPOLIS? Out of all of the "b" movies i have watched on netflix only this one and THE PENITENT MAN (both scifi) are what I would call "entertaining".

it was too bad Carlyle was in SGU--well 'good' for those who watched it as-IMO-he was just about the only character that made the show even a little bit watchable--I hardly ever ff'd through his scenes :beguiled:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I heard on the news yesterday that Oblivion earned 38.2 million for its opener. :icon_e_surprised::stung::disillusionment:

I just don't get it, I really don't.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
have you seen LUNOPOLIS? Out of all of the "b" movies i have watched on netflix only this one and THE PENITENT MAN (both scifi) are what I would call "entertaining".

it was too bad Carlyle was in SGU--well 'good' for those who watched it as-IMO-he was just about the only character that made the show even a little bit watchable--I hardly ever ff'd through his scenes :beguiled:

Chloe and Scott ruined it for me. Carlyle wasn't bad, they just gave him a shitty role in a shitty show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I watched this movie last night and you know what? It is pretty good. :) The premise is good, bvut I think the casting might have been a lot better if they had chosen a different female love interest for Tom's character Jack in the movie. Playing Julia, Olga Kurylenko would not have been my choice because her acting in this was too wooden. The other female interest was Victoria, played by Andrea Riseborough. Morgan Freeman had a role in this too. Somehow, the execution of the film did not do the premise justice, especially when the big reveal was made in the last 1/4 of the movie (and it was a good reveal).

I would have to recommend watching this movie at least once, and you wont be disappointed.