New Zealand Police Arrest MegaUpload Founder

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204301404577172010520529848.html

Wow, they did a SERIOUS raid on the MegaUpload folks! MUST READ!

Excerpt:

Along with the 37-year old Mr. Dotcom, who also used the Kim Schmitz and Kim Tim Jim Vestor name, police arrested chief marketing officer Finn Batato, 38 years old; chief technical officer, director and co-founder Mathias Ortmann, 40 years old, both from Germany; and Dutch national Bram van der Kolk, 29 years old. The search warrants this morning netted millions of dollars worth of assets including 21 luxury vehicles such as the handmade Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe and a number of pieces of artwork. New Zealand police estimate the values of the cars alone totaled around 6 million New Zealand dollars (US$4.8 million).

The New Zealand police have also seized from New Zealand financial institutions over NZ$10 million. Mr. Wormald said police had issued red notices or international warrants against the three other men being sought by the U.S. Justice Department.

:cool:

So, the United States can now issue warrants for arrest GLOBALLY? :icon_neutral:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually this is all the result (per other articles) of a cooperative investigation and the charges go beyond the whole copyright business into racketeering and money laundering (at least according to the indictment). I think we have the links in another thread. I'm not saying it was right action (we don't know all the facts yet) just adding some details. It sounds like what is being alleged is that Megaupload charged users money for some types of access (which is their business model) and that a lot of the content was pirated and that they knew it was pirated. They are also alleging that Megaupload was using in part servers in Virginia as part of this activity.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually this is all the result (per other articles) of a cooperative investigation and the charges go beyond the whole copyright business into racketeering and money laundering (at least according to the indictment). I think we have the links in another thread. I'm not saying it was right action (we don't know all the facts yet) just adding some details. It sounds like what is being alleged is that Megaupload charged users money for some types of access (which is their business model) and that a lot of the content was pirated and that they knew it was pirated. They are also alleging that Megaupload was using in part servers in Virginia as part of this activity.

And of course, EVERYBODY knows that they indeed profited from sales of this material via their "pay for access" model. That Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe has a BASE price of $453,000 http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-...sting-2012-rolls-royce-phantom-drophead-coupe, and people do not buy them for daily drivers. That was one of a collection? There will be more like this one. I predict Rapidshare is next.

Tropicana

Council Member
I would love to see Commonwealth countries issue international warrants on U.S citizens they suspect committed crimes against the Crown.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I would love to see Commonwealth countries issue international warrants on U.S citizens they suspect committed crimes against the Crown.
hahahah! havnt this been tried before? i remember reading about SEVERAL such incidents and the us has just said "GO F YOURSELF"...