Netflix to release 700 original shows/movies in 2018

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Crazy

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I need a new hobby or an AI that i can vet out all these shitty movies/tv stuff on Netflix. The way things are going, things are going to get really ridiculous and uncreative.

Like I said in the other thread, they are just throwing good money after bad and this idea is working for them. They are happy and the idiotic public are happy and the directors are happy. Some of us who are a little more self aware and want a creative storyline, this is extremely sad.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
They are fully intent on dominating the market. I think their strategy is not bad. Many of these shows will likely be horrible to us, but not to the huge generation of youngsters who are currently out there or busy growing up.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
They are fully intent on dominating the market. I think their strategy is not bad. Many of these shows will likely be horrible to us, but not to the huge generation of youngsters who are currently out there or busy growing up.
I think it is a bad idea. It will create a saturated market.

It's no secret that I believe Netflix is way over-extended financially and will have trouble in the long run. That said, I admit that Netflix is changing how the world watches TV. They definitely have an impact on viewing habits and are leading the way in terms of the new streaming paradigm.

But...

Their bloated spending smacks of desperation to retain their spot as the #1 streaming service. It's out of control. Anyone with half-a-brain can see that. It makes for great investing in the short run. But the financial chickens will come home to roost. That is guaranteed. It's a basic law of economics that can't be broken. The higher-ups at Netflix are banking on future returns on their (reckless) investments that are absolutely not guaranteed. And they are digging the hole deeper every day. That is, quite frankly, crazy.

As for 700 new original shows and movies in 2018, well, that's laughably ridiculous. Obviously this is a publicity lie. There's no way they could do that much original programming for this year. Just not possible. (Netflix has begun lying about "original" programming recently by tagging certain things as original when clearly they aren't.) And much of their programming is crap. Utter crap.

Keep in mind that Netflix is in a growth phase and is spending money not just on new properties but on advertising too. They have insinuated their brand into the common vernacular. I've lost count of the TV shows (usually sitcoms) that make reference to "staying home and watching Netflix". This is clearly by design. It's an attempt to spam our subconscious; a way to make us think we're missing out if we don't have a Netflix subscription. In short, it's advertising plain and simple.

I will grant you that people do watch Netflix. I've heard of people who turn it on in the morning and leave it on all day just cycling through the crap. Personally I don't have that much of my life to waste. It does say something about our society though. Still, I don't think a streaming service based upon mountains of crappy programming is a safe bet in the long run. The company is already over-extended financially. And major competition is on the horizon with Disney starting up their own streaming service.

So, yeah, this "700 original shows and movies" claim by Netflix is a lot of nonsense. The cake is a lie my friend, the cake is a lie. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I need a new hobby or an AI that i can vet out all these shitty movies/tv stuff on Netflix.

you could hire some kid, give him a list of your preferences and have him build your "My Shows" list on NF.

get him to go into the stuff you already watched and either give it a 'thumbs up' or down. that helps refine what you are suggested as well

hey! who says you can't fudge and call a hired kind your "AI"?! I told my FB friends I got a new log splitter and put up a pic of our son.... works! he splits logs :)

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I find a lot of shows over here on the UK Netflix calling themselves Netflix originals but they come from places like The Hallmark Channel or some other obscure channel not as widely known. I think they do the same thing on the USA Netflix ( I have a dedicated IP and can still watch that from there with it ) with shows that come from BBC and Channel 4 in UK. Then again, who knows who owns what part of any channel these days. I do think that they are stretching the truth a bit, and bet they are outsourcing half their shows by other studios.

Yes, Netflix USA promotes shows as "original" despite the fact that some of them are clearly not original at all. The fact that they are so blatant about it proves that there is something seriously wrong with the ethics of that company. I don't know why they don't just label those old shows as "exclusive" instead of original. That would make more sense and wouldn't be disingenuous and insulting to the intelligence of the subscribers.

There's a similar problem in the way Netflix arranges its shows and movies by genre and new arrival and basically any category. When you scroll thru the list on Netflix there are repeats of titles regardless of the genre. It's obvious they are trying to make it look like they have more titles than they do by simply shoehorning titles into every category possible. Personally I would much prefer to have less garbage to scroll thru when searching for something than to keep seeing the same movies pop up over and over and over.

In short, Netflix comes across as shady and disingenuous when there really is no reason for it. Right now they're the leader in the streaming game so they should be setting a standard for unrivaled quality. Instead we get falsely labeled content as original when it clearly isn't. Again, it's like they are going out of their way to insult their subscribers by assuming we're dumb. That's not a good business plan in my estimation.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I find a lot of shows over here on the UK Netflix calling themselves Netflix originals but they come from places like The Hallmark Channel or some other obscure channel not as widely known. I think they do the same thing on the USA Netflix ( I have a dedicated IP and can still watch that from there with it ) with shows that come from BBC and Channel 4 in UK. Then again, who knows who owns what part of any channel these days. I do think that they are stretching the truth a bit, and bet they are outsourcing half their shows by other studios.

yeah, i was wondering too

when you look up the show, many of them-though not all, are foreign productions made with some money from netflix. most of them air on the home station first and release on NF later.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
When you scroll thru the list on Netflix there are repeats of titles regardless of the genre. It's obvious they are trying to make it look like they have more titles than they do by simply shoehorning titles into every category possible.

very frustrating it is

the 'over abundance of selection, but not really' thing is way over the top

then, on the other end of the selection problem is amazon. they let you see so little on your home screen, sometimes you just do not want to look for other things.

they either have an issue with how it was designed or it is intentional to look higher quality (PRIME is full of a lot of junk and 'b' movies when you do start digging) by having less on offer up front

the more and more streamers there are, the thinner the good stuff gets on any one provider

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It's no secret that I believe Netflix is way over-extended financially and will have trouble in the long run. That said, I admit that Netflix is changing how the world watches TV. They definitely have an impact on viewing habits and are leading the way in terms of the new streaming paradigm.

But...

Their bloated spending smacks of desperation to retain their spot as the #1 streaming service. It's out of control. Anyone with half-a-brain can see that. It makes for great investing in the short run. But the financial chickens will come home to roost. That is guaranteed. It's a basic law of economics that can't be broken. The higher-ups at Netflix are banking on future returns on their (reckless) investments that are absolutely not guaranteed. And they are digging the hole deeper every day. That is, quite frankly, crazy.

As for 700 new original shows and movies in 2018, well, that's laughably ridiculous. Obviously this is a publicity lie. There's no way they could do that much original programming for this year. Just not possible. (Netflix has begun lying about "original" programming recently by tagging certain things as original when clearly they aren't.) And much of their programming is crap. Utter crap.

Keep in mind that Netflix is in a growth phase and is spending money not just on new properties but on advertising too. They have insinuated their brand into the common vernacular. I've lost count of the TV shows (usually sitcoms) that make reference to "staying home and watching Netflix". This is clearly by design. It's an attempt to spam our subconscious; a way to make us think we're missing out if we don't have a Netflix subscription. In short, it's advertising plain and simple.

I will grant you that people do watch Netflix. I've heard of people who turn it on in the morning and leave it on all day just cycling through the crap. Personally I don't have that much of my life to waste. It does say something about our society though. Still, I don't think a streaming service based upon mountains of crappy programming is a safe bet in the long run. The company is already over-extended financially. And major competition is on the horizon with Disney starting up their own streaming service.

So, yeah, this "700 original shows and movies" claim by Netflix is a lot of nonsense. The cake is a lie my friend, the cake is a lie. ;)
This is not really about market dominance. It's about staying relevant. Since the merger of Faux and Disney, which they did not see coming, they are in damage control. Well, you could say that it's about staying dominate, but netflix lost a lot of titles because of the merger. Because of that, they are investing heavily hoping that this will mean people will keep coming back for more. Disney/Faux both have Hulu which is their competitor in the streaming platform space along with amazon and Apple TV. Youtube is also getting into the act too so it's one big race to the top.

This is not really about market dominance. It's about staying relevant. Since the merger of Faux and Disney, which they did not see coming, they are in damage control. Well, you could say that it's about staying dominate, but netflix lost a lot of titles because of the merger. Because of that, they are investing heavily hoping that this will mean people will keep coming back for more. Disney/Faux both have Hulu which is their competitor in the streaming platform space along with amazon and Apple TV. Youtube is also getting into the act too so it's one big race to the top.

Yeah, and with business practices like this Netflix ain't gonna make it in the long run. I definitely see some type of merger in their future to help keep them afloat (most likely Hulu, but that's just a guess).

I'm not a Disney fan myself but I am interested in seeing how well they do a streaming service. They could easily become the front-runner in the industry if they do it right.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, and with business practices like this Netflix ain't gonna make it in the long run. I definitely see some type of merger in their future to help keep them afloat (most likely Hulu, but that's just a guess).

I'm not a Disney fan myself but I am interested in seeing how well they do a streaming service. They could easily become the front-runner in the industry if they do it right.

Netflix Original Production #246:

heisenberg

Earl Grey

I don't see their share price movement being sustainable at all. This also includes amazon. Yes amazon does provide great diverse assets,but the Share price movement is pure FOMO in my opinion.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Netflix Original Production #246:

This is what they are doing. Aka running out of ideas.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I wonder how much CBS paid them for that plug?

The way I see it is that right now Netflix wants to make as much money as possible on the internet streaming because it can, but it has much bigger plans such as competing with hollywood in the big screen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-up-tv-netflix-is-gunning-for-movie-theaters/

my guess is that Netflix will bring up new cinemas very soon and Netflix subscribers will simply tap on their mobile phones and walk into a movie or a tv series. Their monthly subscription will mean that the consumer can watch it on tv, mobile, tablet, with friends at the cinema even. Meaning that the consumer will have the annoyance of buying tickets removed all together. They will also have a tier like system meaning that if you are not a movie guy/girl, you can choose to not pick that package and just pick the standard package.

I wish I would have thought of that idea soon though - could have made billions :(.