Mary Poppins Returns: December 19, 2018

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, they are doing a sequel to Mary Poppins (Emily Blunt). At least it is a sequel and not a remake or reboot. Take a look...

It has some big names in it:

Dick Van Dyke
Meryl Streep
Emily Blunt
Colin Firth

For me, this was one of those magical films I remember as a child. It was when I looked forward to the annual trip to Disneyland with my family too. :) Its too early to say, but this film MIGHT be a hit for them. I sincerely hope they have not given in to the SJW "diversity agenda" or feminism, just to appeal to politics. This movie needs to be true to it's original, and if that means continuing the racially and culturally homogeneous family and setting, so be it.

Coming to theaters December 19, 2018

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I have had an opportunity to watch this and TO ME (a 50yr old + person), it was great. :) I thought it deserved a place on these forums because it is fantasy. But let me get into the review:

This story picks up on the Banks children as adults with their own children now. If you are younger than say...30, you may never have even heard of Mary Poppins. But back in Disney's animated heyday, this was a major blockbuster as was anything starring Julie Andrews singing. The original move spawned music numbers which have been performed countless times on high school stages and redone by orchestras. But that is just backstory.

This movie absolutely NAILED the feeling of the original, and simultaneously this is it's weakness.

It's style and story are from a different era and is playing to a much different, more modern and technologically savvy audience. When I was a kid, Mary Poppins was a magical movie. But for kids my same age today, it might seem corny and silly. This movie has inventive, well produced songs and the dance numbers and animated magic of the original done with the latest technology. It manages to exactly capture the flavor of the original, and Emily Blunt does a FABULOUS job of Mary Poppins. The children were well selected and remind me of the originals. And Emily can sing! She is arguably as good as Julie Andrews at singing! But again, this could be a weakness. Let me explain...

If you are a fan of Fleetwood Mac or Van Halen or Pink Floyd, and you are in a mixed group of teens and young adults and you mention one of their songs? You will get more than one "Who is Fleetwood Mac?". And even after starting one of the songs, how do you think they sound to a generation brought up on Public Enemy and Tupac and Beyonce and Taylor Swift? This is the problem with Mary Poppins Returns. It is an AWESOME and faithful entry into the story, done perfectly and with good songs which would have been perfectly at home in the original. The cinematography is a million times better in this one too. But it is just out of date in style. I see many boomers and older people loving this movie, with teens and some other young folks saying "Mary Poppins? Returns from where?".

Personally, I give it 5 stars. I hope some of you will take time to see it!

download (1).jpg

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm glad to hear they got it right. I was confident Emily Blunt would do well in the role but concerned they would mess up the tone - glad to hear they did not.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm glad to hear they got it right. I was confident Emily Blunt would do well in the role but concerned they would mess up the tone - glad to hear they did not.

Yesterday, I dug out my original and watched that and then the new one. Emily's Mary is actually much better than Julie Andrews' version. But the new one lacks the "epicness" ofo the original. The organic feeling of the home and the Banks family from the original is less well defined in the new one, but the new one is a sequel, so I can forgive that.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Okay, I have had an opportunity to watch this and TO ME (a 50yr old + person), it was great. :) I thought it deserved a place on these forums because it is fantasy. But let me get into the review:

This story picks up on the Banks children as adults with their own children now. If you are younger than say...30, you may never have even heard of Mary Poppins. But back in Disney's animated heyday, this was a major blockbuster as was anything starring Julie Andrews singing. The original move spawned music numbers which have been performed countless times on high school stages and redone by orchestras. But that is just backstory.

This movie absolutely NAILED the feeling of the original, and simultaneously this is it's weakness.

It's style and story are from a different era and is playing to a much different, more modern and technologically savvy audience. When I was a kid, Mary Poppins was a magical movie. But for kids my same age today, it might seem corny and silly. This movie has inventive, well produced songs and the dance numbers and animated magic of the original done with the latest technology. It manages to exactly capture the flavor of the original, and Emily Blunt does a FABULOUS job of Mary Poppins. The children were well selected and remind me of the originals. And Emily can sing! She is arguably as good as Julie Andrews at singing! But again, this could be a weakness. Let me explain...

If you are a fan of Fleetwood Mac or Van Halen or Pink Floyd, and you are in a mixed group of teens and young adults and you mention one of their songs? You will get more than one "Who is Fleetwood Mac?". And even after starting one of the songs, how do you think they sound to a generation brought up on Public Enemy and Tupac and Beyonce and Taylor Swift? This is the problem with Mary Poppins Returns. It is an AWESOME and faithful entry into the story, done perfectly and with good songs which would have been perfectly at home in the original. The cinematography is a million times better in this one too. But it is just out of date in style. I see many boomers and older people loving this movie, with teens and some other young folks saying "Mary Poppins? Returns from where?".

Personally, I give it 5 stars. I hope some of you will take time to see it!

View attachment 35039

Thanks for the recommendation...my family is dying to see it! :D