Mark Savela's Post-Apocalyptic Sci Fi Series

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
its the ator who plays him Alexander Skarsgård i cant stand him.

So it's not TB, just the actor? Let you in on a secret, I don't like RDA that much as an "actor" either. In fact knowing McGuyver was supposed to be the new "o'neill" almost turned me off the series as well, but I thought the concept of Stargate deserved a chance besides that fact, and I am glad I did give it that chance.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
So it's not TB, just the actor? Let you in on a secret, I don't like RDA that much as an "actor" either. In fact knowing McGuyver was supposed to be the new "o'neill" almost turned me off the series as well, but I thought the concept of Stargate deserved a chance besides that fact, and I am glad I did give it that chance.

i liked mcguyver as the new oneill myself but i was also a huge mcguyver fan as a kid so its likly related.
and it is TB aswell i just dont like vampire storys cept for "confessions of a vampire" that was a good movie.
frm what ive seen TB isnt my cuppa.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
i liked mcguyver as the new oneill myself but i was also a huge mcguyver fan as a kid so its likly related.
and it is TB aswell i just dont like vampire storys cept for "confessions of a vampire" that was a good movie.
frm what ive seen TB isnt my cuppa.

TB is one show I'll admit that I'm pretty "Squeeish" for, and say that thier are actually "multiple levels" to. Personally, I could not care about the vamp aspect (they could have chosen anything for all I care, vamps just happen to work well), but on the whole, the actual story is good to me.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
agreed the less i hear of true blood the better :P
and yes how hard is it to do one Epic scifi show?
and yeah ive checked out an episode here and there im not hooked tho.

hows Sonsofanarchy coming along for you?

Indeed!
Ah, okay.

I've watched a few episodes and I can't say that I'm really hooked, but it's a good show so I'll continue watching.

Whats wrong with True blood?

Neither the story nor the characters interests me, and I apologise to any members from dixie, but I find the accents to be very grating.

Though I can't say that I agree with Omni about Alexander Skarsgård, 'cause I kinda like him. I thought he was great in Generation Kill.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Son's Of Anarchy

A good friend of mine loaned me the entire series of Sons Of Anarchy . Being a Motorcyclist my self I thought the show was pretty boring . I found it trying to be a comedy sometimes and I just wasn't getting it . Though I did enjoy seeing Katy Sagal as a biker whore . It seemed to suit her . Personally I can't stand biker's like that . They represent a side of society that is just no good for anyone involved . They have no respect for anyone's lives other than there own clique . The women involved with these guy's are nothing more than meat and money to made from . I just can't watch it .

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Savela has posted a picture from the set. It's low qualilty but better than nothing.
http://twitpic.com/4e7xky#

And here's the original article on the show:
http://www.redeyechicago.com/entert...ts-new-sci-fi-project-20110322,0,220274.story

Especially this part caught my eye:
Kabatoff said they plan to make the show dark, gritty and action-packed. They are taking cues on pacing from such non sci-fi productions as "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific."
The Pacific with Aliens? Sweet.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
if they manage to pull it off yes.
"bob" and the pacific were great so we'll see..

Indeed. It's going to be interesting to see the show and if they're up to the task (if it gets picked up) because I don't think Mark Savela has ever written for tv or movies, and I've never even heard of Ken Kabatoff.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Indeed. It's going to be interesting to see the show and if they're up to the task (if it gets picked up) because I don't think Mark Savela has ever written for tv or movies, and I've never even heard of Ken Kabatoff.
indeed.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Short behind the scenes video:
http://yfrog.com/177jiz

Behind the scenes pic:
http://twitpic.com/4jp5ek

Some other pictures with some good shots at Spence, Dopud and the rest of the cast:
echoes1.jpg

echoes2z.jpg

echoes3.jpg

echoes4.jpg

echoes5.jpg

echoes6.jpg

echoes7.jpg

echoes8.jpg

echoes9.jpg

And some more information about the show:
Details are emerging about "Echoes," the pilot presentation piece that "SGU" alums Mark Savela and Ken Kabatoff recently filmed in Vancouver, including the names of the main characters.

"Echoes," which was created by the duo, tells the story of what of Earth's survivors after two alien races brought their war to the planet. Jennifer Spence (Dr. Lisa Park on "SGU") plays Sonya, a woman who is leading a band of survivors across the U.S. to learn how Earth became an alien battleground.

"It's basically her journey from a shy, unassuming kind of wall flower into a kind of Sarah Connor-type character," Savela said in a previous interview. "We kick off right in the middle of the [bleep], basically."

Other character names include Nolan (Mike Dopud), Richard (Lochlyn Munro), Karen (Victoria Pratt) and Tracy (Jarod Joseph).

After filming the 12-minute presentation piece in late March, Savela and Kabatoff are busy in post-production, they said. The duo has assembled quite a team of pros from the Vancouver TV and film community. Check out their press release below, and please click on the photo gallery to see exclusive photos from "Echoes." It is under RELATED at left.

It was only mid-January when former "Stargate Universe" VFX supervisor Mark Savela joined forces with independent filmmaker Ken Kabatoff to write a post-apocalyptic pilot script. With "SGU’s" cancellation just a few months prior, the two felt this would be a great time to get “the band” back together for another shoot.

The potential series, titled "Echoes," is about a small group of survivors who are trying to uncover the reason why Earth was ravaged by an Alien war two years ago. It is dark, gritty, and takes cues from such non-science-fiction series as "Band of Brothers" and "The Walking Dead."

“Alien invasion stories have been around for ages. Almost every time it’s us versus them. This time, two races are at war on our planet and we’re just collateral. The story isn’t about how we are going to fight back, it’s about how we are going to survive," Kabatoff said.

Partnering with Emmy award-winning VFX producers Andrew Karr ("Battlestar Galactica") and Craig VanDenBiggelaar ("Stargate Universe"), the team plans to combine top-notch visual effects with gripping character drama.

The cast for the presentation piece is made up of Jennifer Spence ("Stargate Universe"), Mike Dopud ("Battlestar Galactica"), Victoria Pratt ("Mutant X"), Lochlyn Munro ("A Night At The Roxbury"), and newcomer Jarod Joseph ("The Killing").

To showcase the concept and visual style of the potential series, the team rounded up many crew members from "Stargate Universe," "Smallville," "Battlestar Galactica" and "Sanctuary." However, the support did not end there: Some of Vancouver’s major film industry vendors lent a helping hand by providing cameras, lights and other film gear for the shoot.

“When we came up with this project, people said ‘Oh, we all get to work together again? That’s really cool.’ Everyone jumped on board," Savela said.

Currently they are in postproduction on the 12-minute presentation piece with hopes of finding potential networks. It is a long road ahead, but with the talented group they have assembled audiences will surely be in for a treat.
http://www.redeyechicago.com/entert...ut-echoes-production-20110412,0,6403833.story

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Here's another article about Echoes.

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/tv-news/echoes-new-pilot/54394?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4da75d4c3bc02884,0
Two weeks ago, I had the privilege of visiting the set of the filming of the pilot presentation for Echoes (a working title). This pilot presentation is comprised of several momentous, and strongly contrasting, scenes from a full pilot script written by Ken Kabatoff and Mark Savela. Today, the picture on the presentation was locked, which means the editing is finished and the rest of the post production process – VFX, sound mixing, color correct – will begin.

You may still be wondering what exactly Echoes is, exactly, so let me try and explain. Following the cancellation of Stargate: Universe, a show on which they both worked, Mark and Ken began the process of penning a new pilot script and sketching out the backgrounds of the characters and world they were creating in a document referred to as their “Bible”. One thing I’d like to make clear right now: while many of the crew, and a two of the cast members, did work on SGU, Echoes is most assuredly its own entity.

[...]

Article continues at the link posted above.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Look likes there's finally some developments with this project.

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/stargate-writer-heading-canadian-scifi-series-echoes-alien-war-earth.html?fb_action_ids=10151820519648821&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={"10151820519648821":675624799116030}&action_type_map={"10151820519648821":"og.likes"}&action_ref_map=[]
Stargate Writer Heading Canadian Sci-Fi Series Echoes, About An Alien War Come To Earth

Saucer.jpg

We’ve had some good luck of late when it comes to imported Canadian science fiction TV. I’m talking about Continuum, the time-traveling cop show starring Rachel Nichols which has become much better than we were expecting. Now there’s another intriguing science fiction project in the works up north, and we’re going to keep our fingers crossed that it makes its way down to the States before too long. Even better, this one — calledEchoes— is being run by a Stargate veteran, so you ‘gaters biding your time until the franchise rises from the ashes will have something to look forward to in the meantime.

The Hollywood Reporter reveals that writer Carl Binder has been hired to write the pilot for the Canadian sci-fi series Echoes. He will also be the showrunner for the series. Binder worked on all three Stargate TV spinoffs, but he’s actually been in the TV game much longer that, stretching back to early work on theFriday the 13thTV series and even the short-lived 1990 War of the Worlds show. In the aftermath of Stargate Universe’s demise, he served as a writer and consultant on Cinemax’s series adaptation of the Transporter movies.

Set in the year 2021, Echoes “follows the journey of Sonya, a young woman trying to survive after two warring extra-terrestrial species bring their intergalactic battle to Earth.” Talk about lousy luck. We haven’t even managed an interstellar voyage yet and poof, a bunch of alien jerks decide to sort their shit out on our front lawn.

The show was created by Ken Kabatoff, Andrew Karr, Mark Savela and Craig Van Den Biggelaar, and is being developed by Don Carmody Television. That’s the production company founded by the aforementioned Don Carmody, Oscar-winning producer of Chicago.

Carmody Television executive vice president David Cormican says:

With Carl (Binder)’s mastery of the genre and one of the best sci-fi visual effects teams on the planet, we hope to bring the world and aliens of Echoes to life for the millions of fans of the genre the world over.

Echoes definitely sounds like it has potential. We’ve seen lots of stories where aliens invade or try to exterminate us (Independence Day), and we’ve seen lots of stories where aliens are up to sneaky covert activities here on Earth (V,X-Files), but the twist of us being literally caught in the middle of two warring extraterrestrial factions should be fun. Once it finds a Canadian network home, here’s hoping Syfy or somebody arranges to air it down here as well. (Or at least get it up on Netflix at some point.)

I'm unsure about this. I was never a big fan of Carl Binder in his Stargate work so him being brought on to write the pilot really doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Still, the premise has piqued my interest so I'll probably check it out if it comes to full series.

Also, I wonder what will happen to Jennifer Spence with her role in Continuum should there come something of this. Her part is of course pretty small, but still. Although there is the possbility that the part will be recast after the pilot is written.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Set in the year 2021, Echoes “follows the journey of Sonya, a young woman trying to survive after two warring extra-terrestrial species bring their intergalactic battle to Earth.”

TeenAngst.jpg

Especially when there's, like, aliens fighting and stuff! :moody:

JaffaKree!

GateFans Member
I'm going to say something really unpopular, but to hell with it: HBO is so overrated. Seriously. I never understood the appeal to begin with, but by now their schtick has definitely gotten old.
When will producers stop trying to make shows that 'could be on HBO'? It's passé, man. Move on. Do your own thing.

I'm done. You can spank me now.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Well we would spank you, but you'll just enjoy it. Won't learn your lesson silly :P

Anyways, I remember looking at this last year (or before that I forget) it looked interesting back then but with the amount of 'post apocalyptic' shows, seems like they will be late to the bandwagon unless they can apply something unique on it (namely good writing but one can't live in fantasy).

B

Backstep

I'm going to say something really unpopular, but to hell with it: HBO is so overrated. Seriously. I never understood the appeal to begin with, but by now their schtick has definitely gotten old.
When will producers stop trying to make shows that 'could be on HBO'? It's passé, man. Move on. Do your own thing.

I'm done. You can spank me now.

:whip: