Here comes the Nexus Tablet!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
A 7 incher made by ASUS with a Hi Definition display and NVidia's Quad Core Tegra 3 on board. Runs the newly released Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). Only $199 and shipping in 2-3 weeks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A 7 incher made by ASUS with a Hi Definition display and NVidia's Quad Core Tegra 3 on board. Runs the newly released Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean). Only $199 and shipping in 2-3 weeks.

Just WOW! A while back, I mentioned to somebody here that I had that Samsung Epic which was considered one of the best phones on the market at the time as far as Android. Somebody else mentioned they had a Nexus phone (was that you?). I was unaware at the time that the Nexus phone was Google's development phone and was actually the ONLY Android phone with ALL the bells and whistles turned on. It was meant to show developers and manufacturers alike what a Google phone is supposed to be able to do. Now, I know. I am considering purchasing one for development (I am learning how to create Android apps right now). Now, a Nexus tablet? WOW!

I hope they have added this tablet as a virtual device in the Android SDK. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, it has been added to the 4.1 SDK.

My original concern was that all it could be used for was consumption (like the Kindle Fire). Turns out not to be the case - it is a real, full tablet.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, it has been added to the 4.1 SDK.

My original concern was that all it could be used for was consumption (like the Kindle Fire). Turns out not to be the case - it is a real, full tablet.

Nexus is Google's special brand. It would not have the Nexus name if it wasnt. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It would seem that ASUS is the reference hardware for Jelly Bean like Samsung was for Ice Cream Sandwich.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Found out a little more about this tablet - contrary to some initial impressions published online it is not a Google version of the Kindle Fire (which is a pretty fine device in its own right) but is actually a full tablet. The Google Play screens seen in the video are widgets you can easily remove - you do it the same way you remove widgets in an Android phone. Also this is the first Android device to benefit from Project Butter:

http://pocketnow.com/2012/06/27/what-is-googles-project-butter-and-why-its-so-awesome/

Project Butter is basically an initiative by Google to address the problems of lagginess and choppy transitions that have plagued Android ever since the beginning.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Isn't this the one that Apple just got an injunction on for sales in the US? They've managed to do this against two products in the past week, claiming they infringe on "their" patents.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually no. This is the Nexus 7 tablet which is completely different than the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is a smartphone which is the reference hardware phone for Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The "Nexus" in the name denotes that it is the reference phone; as such it always runs a totally unaltered (skinned or otherwise by OEMs) version of Android with no apps added by the carriers.

Tropicana

Council Member
I was tempted by the Nexus 7 tablet, but I dunno... A bit small for my liking, rather have 9"+.

I love the Honeycomb/ICS Android base UI that u get on certain Android phone/tablets, raw and cool looking. Cos companies like Samsung add their take like TouchWiz, some UI looks weird and it makes the phone less cool.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Just clicked that thread. Great writeup about that Nexus tablet, and now a few of my friends have it and love it. :) Gotta ask a question about that Chrome browser though. The screencaps you show are of the new forums. The new forums have an animated GIF logo, and these forums are using Flash. How do these forums on vBulletin look on that browser? My mobile ICS browser on the phone does not suppport Flash. A quick check on the net shows it will NEVER support Flash, and is ready for HTML5. Thoughts?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Here it is:

Screenshot_2012-09-11-22-26-53.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Hmmm...they are right. All I need to do to fix that is replace the Flash in our header here like I did for the new forums. Perhaps the pages will stop occasional glitching when the Flash plugin is called from the browser? Thanks for posting that!