General Discussion & Recap/Review Thread: SGU Episode 09 - "Visitation"

Blurb

GateFans Noob
Not only would I actually cheer if she became a fish alien and gained a personality, or became one and then died, but I don't believe it. At all. She'll end up a hybrid or a fish alien with all her knowledge, or--most likely--she will just get a miracle cure at the last second and Scott will be like "Yay! ILU" an Greer will be like "Yay! I like you!" and Eli will be like "Yay! Hug me? Please?" and Young will be like "Yay! I feel unexplained parental feelings toward you because I'm supposed to be Poppa Bear and everyone loves you, Chloe, so I do, too."

She's supposed to be the eye candy and what humanizes Scott and Greer and...oh, right. The whole crew. Everyone is supposed to love her, so if they kill her it will be for shock value, not with an actual story arc leading up to it.

But they aren't going to kill her. You as viewer thouroughly invested in those amazing characters are going to be SO RELIEVED FOR CHLOE (she's not gonna need killing cause all will turn out fine... maybe the transformation is just another misunderstanding with an inept alien race after all... they'll return her to normal if they can and apologize and leave her with all her new abilities to reinforce their sincerity) AND GREER (who is not going to have to kill Chloe) AND SCOTT (who is such a steadfast young man keeping his faith in Chloe, not dumping her due to mutating into god knows what) AND ELI (who's not gonna loose another person chlose to him) AND YOUNG (who doesn't have to order another of his crew killed or kill them himself) AND RUSH (who can relax and just have Chloe work for him as his personal math slavegirl) AND EVERYONE, REALLY. Until they get to the next planet, where a bee stings her and she drops dead from that (some kind of totally senseless, unanticipated death) because we can't forget the depressing ending. And then the faith aliens are going to resurrect her, for real this time (while we are of course left in doubt if she'll regress to dead from bee sting at any moment, just to keep the suspense)! Watch it play out...

Yusagi

GateFans Noob
But they aren't going to kill her. You as viewer thouroughly invested in those amazing characters are going to be SO RELIEVED FOR CHLOE (she's not gonna need killing cause all will turn out fine... maybe the transformation is just another misunderstanding with an inept alien race after all... they'll return her to normal if they can and apologize and leave her with all her new abilities to reinforce their sincerity) AND GREER (who is not going to have to kill Chloe) AND SCOTT (who is such a steadfast young man keeping his faith in Chloe, not dumping her due to mutating into god knows what) AND ELI (who's not gonna loose another person chlose to him) AND YOUNG (who doesn't have to order another of his crew killed or kill them himself) AND RUSH (who can relax and just have Chloe work for him as his personal math slavegirl) AND EVERYONE, REALLY. Until they get to the next planet, where a bee stings her and she drops dead from that (some kind of totally senseless, unanticipated death) because we can't forget the depressing ending. And then the faith aliens are going to resurrect her, for real this time (while we are of course left in doubt if she'll regress to dead from bee sting at any moment, just to keep the suspense)! Watch it play out..

Tch. Even if I cared about Chloe and the affect her deathfishing would have on the others, it still would fail to keep me interested, and still falls in the 'pointless buildup' category, because they're clearly not going to deathfish her. And if I did care, yanking my chain with a build up only to kill her later pointlessly would only succeed in irritating me. Which means the arc is just...failing on multiple levels.

Blurb

GateFans Noob
Which means the arc is just...failing on multiple levels.

Hehe, while I seem to fail on making the sarcastic nature of my last post understood without pointing it out clearly, the point still comes across. That's something ;).

Yusagi

GateFans Noob
Hehe, while I seem to fail on making the sarcastic nature of my last post understood without pointing it out clearly, the point still comes across. That's something ;).

Well, it was sarcasm, but true sarcasm. They (somehow) expect the viewer to be that invested in Chloe's fate...and yet even if they were it wouldn't work.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
This episode was horrible to me. More magic, more silly drama, more emo angst and sappy morality mirrors, and religion. Those were the very things that killed BSG seasons 3 and 4, and thats where it seems these writers decided to steal bits and pieces. At least in BSG we didnt see any magic or witness such GLARING illogic. There is too much to say and its all negative.

NO WAY will this breach more than say...1.1 million (Im hoping for less). It was boring to watch, and I cant imagine the casual viewer lingering longer than say...2 minutes, before feeling an uncontrollable compulsion to change the channel. Just :facepalm:
Exactly. This was the most boring and awful episode of second season. I wish Chloe would die during thiose kino scenes and it all didn't make sense...I mean first that Christ wannabe feels he is about to die, then they reveal that he was rescued by aliens or god or whatever it was. Fuck...

It was all so terribly cliched, I am sure there were star trek or other sci fi episodes like that, oly done better, or with a clone twist or something. Only it turned out to be far worse than that in second half, my god...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
EXCELLENT review man!

Not having watched any episodes after the initial 2 episodes of Season 2 (first half), I was really not prepared for this episode. It took me 2 tries to go through the episode just once. I am really trying to be objective, and not let my sense of utter bewilderment for the inane ramblings and meanderings of the writers cloud my review. Well, Here goes nothing :D

Stargate: Universe
Season: 2
Episode: Visitation

Recap/Review By US06154

Recap

The storyline spells more doom and gloom to the crew of the Destiny. The contingent that stayed behind on the planet with the beacon, suddenly appears in their shuttle by the side of Destiny as it drops out of FTL. As the Shuttle is incapable of travelling between galaxies, let alone FTL, Col. Young is not quite ready to accept that these were the same people left behind on the planet.

The Shuttle, in which the crew members arrived, looks no longer the old battered Shuttle that was left behind on the planet. This was either a fully restored vessel or a Brand new Vehicle “created” for the journey.

Meanwhile, Chloe is progressing into the Alien transformation. The scene looks like she’s recording her goodbyes into a Kino.

The returned crew is shunned by the rest of the crew, and re-integration looks like a problem. TJ takes Caine on a tour to the hydroponics bay, and tell him about her dream, visiting the Alien planet with her baby. The scene about TJ’s daughter was safe, and would be taken care of, seems now to be nothing but a dream.

There’s a minor altercation between Mst. Sgt Greer and Lt Scott about Chloe’s condition. Greer observes that Chloe is “turning into the Enemy”

Eli is talking to Val (a new comer) on the Observation deck. Val seems to have lost most of her memory with regards to the Stay at Eden (Planet). Her memory is fragmented at best, and seems to be having issues, as her nose starts to bleed. Val collapses on the ground bleeding and in pain.
Rush challenges Caine on his belief, and argues that “god must be losing his touch”, as he could restore the Shuttle, but not minor ailments like astigmatism, loss of hair, and lapses of memory.
Val had died, and TJ pronounces it was Blunt force trauma, evidence of skull fracture, hemorrhage, and brain swelling. Wray volunteers to put Cain and the others from the shuttle under hypnosis – to see if she can stimulate memories from their subconscious.

Greer has a conversation with Chloe in her room, where he explains that when the time comes when Chloe has gone through her metamorphosis, The task would fall upon him to take out Chloe as a threat, and he would ask her forgiveness for the gruesome deed. A moment of true drama ensues as emotions get the better of both Chloe and Greer. Chloe records her “Departing Message” into a Kino.
Wray is going through a hypnosis session with Peter. It seems that Peter and Val had a thing for each other. It also seems like Caine was very anxious about the onset of the winter. While chopping down trees for Firewood, a tree falls on Val and kills her. After that revelation, Peter falls on the floor and starts flailing. Wray calls in for a medical emergency. Peter is dead by the time TJ makes an appearance and showed symptoms of dehydration and Hypothermia.

After brief confab with Young and Wray, TJ theorizes that these people might be dying in order they dies prior. Young calls Scott to collect all the visitors and get them back to the infirmary. Rachel was covered with red sores, and she was quickly taken over to the infirmary, where TJ sternly asks Scott to go through decontamination. Caine comes in through the doorway of the infirmary, and Rachel takes one look at him, rolls her eyes, and dies. Young orders Caine to go through hypnosis next with Wray, to find out what’s going on.

Wray has Caine under Hypnosis. He recalls that on the Eden planet, the life support had failed on the shuttle, where the crew was taking refuge, huddled under a few blankets shivering in the cold. It was the night before the Shuttle joined up with Destiny, and all the Eden crew was dead, Frozen. Caine snaps out of his hypnosis as he realizes that even he was dead, before the shuttle docked in with Destiny.

James finds a Kino onboard the shuttle, and gets Eli to view the device. After reviewing it once, He calls in Wray, Young and Rush. The footage shows Caine sitting on the floor calling for help. Caine brushes aside the blanket covering his head and turns to look out of the window. The glow becomes brighter and envelops the entire ship, and the screen fills with white light. The footage ends. Eli switches off the screen and turns to look at the others. Nobody speaks, all of them lost in their own thoughts

Review

In this episode, we find the writers dabbling with religion again. Even the name Caine is reference to Caine and able form the Christian Bible. While the other two franchises battled “false Gods” like the Goa’uld and the Ori, Stargate Universe seems to embrace the more “Mainline” religions to tell a Story. Instead of writing Science Fiction, the writers seem revel in the debate of Science Vs Religion.

It is bit unnerving that aliens so powerful and beyond us could have so little understanding of what we humans need to survive and be happy; that their attempts to aid us could result in simply making things worse. Dying of exposure and being resurrected, only to have to die in the same way all over again, makes for a pretty horrible fate. Maybe the plot line for this episode will be revealed in a future episode whay the Zombies were sent to Destiny, perhaps in the form of Fedex Delivering a Shuttle with a Zombie Fedex Delivery Crew.

This episode reverts to emo-drama that this series seems to do well, giving a whole bunch of theories and hints about at least one god-like alien race that’s working behind-the-scenes.
It also feels like most things were temporarily pushed aside, and other things weren’t quite as clear as they could be (Caine seems to have been alive when the aliens decide to act, so why would he die again?). This episode is another product of writers who are completely out of touch writing a Science Fiction Show, and still meandering from the main plotline started in the first season, basically as they say, “all dressed up and nowhere to go”

I hate it when science fiction writers attempt to marry science with religion. In many ways, I consider science itself to be a religion. The less tangible/explainable in science is not going to be explained by (as you said) "mainline" religions like Christianity, Islam and Judaism and Hinduism, et al. WHY do they keep trying to introduce it into this show and into canon? BSG failed at doing it, and SGU failed at even trying to do it.

I sure would like to see the storyboard for this alleged "5 year arc". It probably looks a lot like a pretzel. Whats with River pulling a River Tam at the last minute with superhuman strength and being able to pull panels off the walls and cross wire controls to open doors? If the blue aliens DNA allows them to do that shit, then why was Rush able to strangle one with his bare hands in Space??? The blue aliens had the capability of not only defeating Destiny's shields, but also cutting through its hull like butter. The blue aliens had a ship attached to Destiny before these losers even got on the ship. We saw one of their ships detach from Destiny in Air Pt3. It makes NO FUCKING SENSE.

I hate this show. :facepalm:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They are stretching it out and making it totally unbelivable.

Exactly. This was the most boring and awful episode of second season. I wish Chloe would die during thiose kino scenes and it all didn't make sense...I mean first that Christ wannabe feels he is about to die, then they reveal that he was rescued by aliens or god or whatever it was. Fuck...

It was all so terribly cliched, I am sure there were star trek or other sci fi episodes like that, oly done better, or with a clone twist or something. Only it turned out to be far worse than that in second half, my god...

Its a dumb ripoff of so many shows! Chloe is being morphed into a clone of River Tam from Firefly. Look at this clip from Serenity (the Firefly movie)...it could easily be the inside of Destiny, with the same post processed bluish lighting and dark scenes, even with River's clothes.

[video=youtube;XuKpvyO3-qE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKpvyO3-qE

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I would swear I am looking at Chloe, until the camera revealed it wasn't her, but yeah..I never watched firefly after all.

Yusagi

GateFans Noob
At least River was cool about it. Chloe is just annoying. And has been blatantly a Summer Glau (Not so much River as maybe Cameron) rip off from the start.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You OWE yourself Firefly!

I would swear I am looking at Chloe, until the camera revealed it wasn't her, but yeah..I never watched firefly after all.

You gotta catch Firefly. As soon as you watch at least two episodes, you will be hooked. The Serenity movie has to come last. :)