Favorite Miscellaneous Scifi Movies

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Hubby and I try to watch scifi on friday nights, and since syfylys screwed up scifi fridays by cancelling sga, we watch a movie.
Tonight we enjoyed Galaxy Quest-- what a riot that movie is. Half the fun is seeing what other tv shows/movies they spoof. Tim Allen does a killer William Shatner rip-off and Alan Rickman as the alien Dr. Lazarus seems to channel Leonard Nimoy! :D:D

So what are your fave scifi movies & when do you watch them? :D

Deity59

GateFans Noob

Vanb

GateFans Noob
I love Galaxy Quest. The performances overall were great. I especially loved Sam Rockwell and Tony Shalhoub.

Hmmm...what are some others? I love science fiction, but I also love fantasy, and some of my favorites tend to blur the lines between the two a lot. Here's a list of some of my favorites of science fiction and sci fi/fantasy: (in no particular order)

* Terminator 1 & 2
* Dune (The 80's movie. Not the tv mini-series. It's not so much that I love the movie on it's own as much as I loved the book and
found the movie to be an interesting visual representation of the book.)
* The Matrix (I pretty much pretend the the next two movies after the original don't exist.)
* eXistenZ (Such a weird little movie, but I can't seem to stop myself from watching it on occasion.)
* Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
* Star Trek VIII: First Contact
* Star Trek 2009
* The Fifth Element
* The X-Files: Fight The Future (I really can't defend this as a great movie, but as a fan of the X-Files, my X-Files marathons would not
be complete without it. I'm not sure what kind of crapola "I Want to Believe" was. I love the X-Files, and even I can't watch that
one again.)
* Cube
* Dark City
* Men in Black (The first one, not the second one. Just good fun + Vincent D'Onofrio)
* Serenity (How could I forget Serenity? I love Firefly more, but I thought that Serenity was an admirable attempt at wrapping up a
show that we never truly got to have.)
* Aliens
* Star Wars (IV, V & VI)

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. I tend to watch stuff like this whenever the mood hits. I don't have a particular time of week or anything. Although, Friday and/or Saturday popcorn nights do tend to be fun.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I agree with you guys on Matrix. Just the ONE!

stclare said:
Blade Runner
Starship troopers
Pitch Black
Serenity
Star wars (original 3)
Fith Element
Cube
Matrix (1)
Pitch Black but no Riddick?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
Smith said:
I agree with you guys on Matrix. Just the ONE!

stclare said:
Blade Runner
Starship troopers
Pitch Black
Serenity
Star wars (original 3)
Fith Element
Cube
Matrix (1)
Pitch Black but no Riddick?

TCoRiddick is OK but not something I rewatch. Pitchblack was just so different and the ending :shock:

Vanb

GateFans Noob
stclare wrote:
Blade Runner
Starship troopers
Pitch Black
Serenity
Star wars (original 3)
Fith Element
Cube
Matrix (1)
Ooh! I forgot about Starship Troopers. I love that movie too.

AdamTM said:
Galaxy Quest > Star Trek 2009
And yes, AdamTM, I agree that Galaxy Quest trumps Star Trek 2009, but I still enjoy the latter.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Yup, most of them. My notes + $0.02:

I guess I'm a lowbrow because I hate Blade Runner the Director's cut. Ford's narration made the movie for me.

Starship Troopers - makes a lot more sense when you watch the DVD extras on the background of the novel.

Finally saw ST 2009. Well done. Best scifi movie in ten years? That money tree will bear fruit for years to come.

Fifth Element - Oh Ruby! Again watch the extras esp. the J.P. Gautier piece.

Dune - Where's that flying fat man? Actually made me read the book.

2001 - Actually made me read the book.

Not the best but I still can't write off Demolition Man and Sleeper as sci-fi comedy.

Just watched Alien Apocalypse. What a stinker. Funny as hell though. Watched it twice because I ignored the first half.

(yes piggypoo, we know)

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
piginpoo said:
Galaxy Quest just so that I can see Sigourney Weaver in a blond wig and low cut top. ;)
She definitely had some 'personal growth' in that department since Alien...

Todd The Wraith

GateFans Noob
28 Days later
Serenity
The Matrix
Pitch Black
Chronicles Of Riddick
Equilibrium
X-Files Fight The Future
Star Wars (first three)
Underworld 1/2
Starship Troopers
Reign Of Fire (Pretty bad movie but dragons are awesome)

P. J.

GateFans Noob
Galaxy Quest is one of my long time favorites.

From the top of the head, some movies I like (some with reservations +, some with sentiment and good laugh *), which weren't mentioned:

Total Recall
Gattaca
Red Planet
Twelve Monkeys
Escape From New York *
Escape From L. A. *
Back To The Future 1, 2, 3
Flash Gordon *
Running Man
Rollerball (1975) +
Soldier
Abyss +
Mad Max 2, 3
Spaceballs

Deity59

GateFans Noob
Ya know what makes me sad? How bad the film and TV powers that be treat sci-fi and fantasy. Think about this- how many good sci-fi movies are there, all time? Lets go high and say 100. How many good TV shows? 10? 20? How many sci-fi Tv shows are even on the air this last season? 5 maybe? There are between 5000 and 6000 books published in the sci-fi/fantasy genre EACH YEAR! And this is the crap we get! SGU :<< In literature sci-fi/fantasy accounts for 7.8% of all books sold.

sci-fi classics

That is a list of the top 193 sci-fi classics of all time. Maybe 20 are movies.

Sad!

A

AdamTM

I'll add to this:

Silent Running
Enemy Mine
Dark Star One
Altered States
Brainstorm

2001: Space Odyssey
2010: The Year we made contact
Contact
The Arrival
The Second Arrival

The day the earth stood still (original)
Forbidden Planet

trelaine

GateFans Noob
Ya know what makes me sad? How bad the film and TV powers that be treat sci-fi and fantasy. Think about this- how many good sci-fi movies are there, all time? Lets go high and say 100. How many good TV shows? 10? 20? How many sci-fi Tv shows are even on the air this last season? 5 maybe? There are between 5000 and 6000 books published in the sci-fi/fantasy genre EACH YEAR! And this is the crap we get! SGU :<< In literature sci-fi/fantasy accounts for 7.8% of all books sold.

Agreed. I've watched so much, read a lot and yet I can't really think of anything not mentioned to recommend - unless you go to older movies like the original "the day the earth stood still" "day of the triffids" that sort of thing.

So many great stories and I do wonder why they aren't made into movies. I know we have come to expect great effects and maybe that's part of the problem? I was watching the comedy bit by Kevin Pollack and it occured to me how a lot of the old "cheesey" stuff sold because we had imaginations then and we filled in the blanks in our minds. Now we want everything shown to us. could this be part of the problem? (just a thought)

I did just think of something - Not the greatest production but very compelling stories:

Fortress
Harrison Bergeron <==== see this if you can find it!!

Deity59

GateFans Noob
Agreed. I've watched so much, read a lot and yet I can't really think of anything not mentioned to recommend - unless you go to older movies like the original "the day the earth stood still" "day of the triffids" that sort of thing.

So many great stories and I do wonder why they aren't made into movies. I know we have come to expect great effects and maybe that's part of the problem? I was watching the comedy bit by Kevin Pollack and it occured to me how a lot of the old "cheesey" stuff sold because we had imaginations then and we filled in the blanks in our minds. Now we want everything shown to us. could this be part of the problem? (just a thought)

I did just think of something - Not the greatest production but very compelling stories:

Fortress
Harrison Bergeron <==== see this if you can find it!!

I think it may be the authors. They have seen some of the butcher jobs hollywood has done and they insist on final script say, which TPTB are loathe to give up.