Dude And 50K Friends: Serious About Saving Stargate Universe

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

SciphonicStranger

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Mallozzi posted this link on his blog yesterday. It's a bit long but interesting.

http://blogs.forbes.com/michaelhump...iends-serious-about-saving-stargate-universe/

Screen shot 2011-06-16 at 21.01.03.png
Yep, SGU has a fanbase of about 50,000 viewers. The other 800,000 were casual viewers and thrill-seekers just there to watch the train crash. So sounds just about right... :laughing:

Screen shot 2011-06-16 at 20.58.59.png

They might have a point here, and maybe we should join in on the suit. Because neither are SGU nor Caprica. :eek: :icon_lol:

I actually have some respect for that Dean dude for standing up against raving family members of the actors and the shills at GW who tried to destroy his campaign. And because he's a fan of StarGate, not just some SGU johnny come lately. :)

SciphonicStranger

I actually have some respect for that Dean dude for standing up against raving family members of the actors and the shills at GW who tried to destroy his campaign. And because he's a fan of StarGate, not just some SGU johnny come lately. :)

In the interview he claims to have received a personal phone call from Craig Engler to discuss the "Open Letter". How come Craig doesn't come here to chit chat? ;)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My issue with Facebook is that as long as you have email addresses and another name to create, you can have as many Facebook accounts as you like. For example, if you have 10 email addresses and a creative enough imagination to come up with what sounds like a "real" name, you can create an account with each and every one of those email addresses.

I'd like to see how many unique IP addresses belong to all those accounts.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
In the interview he claims to have received a personal phone call from Craig Engler to discuss the "Open Letter". How come Craig doesn't come here to chit chat? ;)
Good question! The answer is probably A- We're not 50,000 members (although who knows how many of those actually live in the US and watch Syfy) and B- We're not the ones causing trouble, we're just a site of Stargate and sci-fi fans...
But maybe things will change with our new Twitter account starting up.

I'd like to see how many unique IP addresses belong to all those accounts.
Exactly...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Good question. The answer is probably A- We're not 50,000 members (although who knows how many of those actually live in the US and watch Syfy) and B- We're not the ones causing trouble, we're just a site of Stargate and sci-fi fans...
We have to stop even thinking that we are part of any site we may have formerly visited. We are GateFans and that's it.

We have people here who watched and enjoyed SGU, and that's not only cool, that's exactly what we're about here. I'm fairly sure that if folks who liked SGU were to come here, they would feel comfortable enough to join discussions about it. At least, I would hope so.

We're here to discuss all shows, whether or not we like them, and we encourage intelligent and polite debate between all sides of that equation.

I wish the same were true of some other sites out there.

Tropicana

Council Member
Over on GW it has been reported that the SaveSGU FB page had been hacked in some way:
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?77111-SGU-Awareness-Campaign-*Check-OP*/page91
Last post + the next page as well
Is that the one where some guy dissed Brian's mother? Then all hell broke loose and then some girl/guy-whatever came here and asked us to fight against the the leader, who apparently was using the cause and the people to advance his own goals, or something?

Such HS drama, lol.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Is that the one where some guy dissed Brian's mother? Then all hell broke loose and then some girl/guy-whatever came here and asked us to fight against the the leader, who apparently was using the cause and the people to advance his own goals, or something?

Such HS drama, lol.
Yep, and then the shills with the support of BJS' mom tried to take over the "fans" from this dude's site by campaigning for them to move to their SG-Unite sites. :icon_lol:
HS drama indeed!

SciphonicStranger

Yep, and then the shills with the support of BJS' mom tried to take over the "fans" from this dude's site by campaigning for them to move to their SG-Unite sites. :icon_lol:
HS drama indeed!

This is starting to sound like an episode of Glee. :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I still think those 50k FB people on the page are made out of whole cloth. Not real in the least.

Google doesn't care how many email addresses you create, as long as you're using their service. I would assume that other companies such as Hotmail and Yahoo feel the same way about things.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I still think those 50k FB people on the page are made out of whole cloth. Not real in the least.

Google doesn't care how many email addresses you create, as long as you're using their service. I would assume that other companies such as Hotmail and Yahoo feel the same way about things.

ITA. I run my own mailserver, and if I had the time and a psychotic, delusional bent on making it seem like SGU was a hit, I could sit and create email accounts all day and register them on Facebook and they would all be accepted as different members. Facebook is not going to be looked at by anyone serious as a measure of popularity. Anyone looking even SLIGHTLY at the atmosphere of the average Stargate fan (who is usually not a fan of SGU) will see the obvious shilling from the tiny SGU camp. Go to Gateworld, here, other Stargate fansites, and if you find that most of them dont like SGU then something is wrong. So, check the conventions...are the Stargate fans excited about SGU? Not really...but they still fight for tickets to get photo ops with Flanigan and SG-1/SGA actors, Amazon sales figures for DVD sales of SG-1 and SGA vs SGU should tell the story too. How come that Facebook page only had a few comments on it if there are 50,000 members?

SHILLS

Tropicana

Council Member
Not to bring an old thread back from the dead, oh what the hell, let's do it.

I agree with OM1. A few comments amongst 50K says a lot really, it's easy to like something on FB but are you really being proactive? 50K on FB don't mean much if there's no hard proof/evidence of genuine goals or targets being met to advance one's cause, in fact it pisses me off with lack of targets being met, it screams, "I'm lazy!!". Honestly, what can they do? Nothing. They can't bolster DVD sales, people have seen the show and most dislike it so why would they buy the DVD to the thing you dislike? It's like me buying avocado when I dislike avocado. They can't get the shout out cos there is no new episode to air.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Here's the thing though.
DVD sales are not getting bolstered because the most vocal SGU fans are not buying it on DVD, they want it on BR, so they are instead keeping the HD copies they buy off the net. In fact there seems to be much ire about the lack of BR release for it. Of course, this leads back to the "if you don't support it you won't get anymore" argument. :P