Doctor who the movie?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yesterday we heard that David Yates, the master of the final four Harry Potter
films,
had been tapped
to direct a big-screen version of
Doctor Who
that would feature entirely new stars and continuity. Whether you love or hate it, there's no denying it's big news, but a few people at the BBC didn't even seem to think it was actually happening.According to Yates, there's no script for the project yet and it won't happen for another two or three years, but with his name attached to it the film—no matter what stage of development it's in—it was bound to be major news. Still, some at the BBC treated the Yates story as though it were just the same old Doctor Who movie rumors they've been swatting down for years.Here's what BBC executive Edward Russell had to say via Twitter:
Off Twitter for a few hours and the Doctor Who world explodes. There's always talk of a movie. Perhaps? Maybe one day. But not right now!

Much rather keep it as a television show...

http://blastr.com/2011/11/doctor-who-movie-the-bbc.php

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Much rather keep it as a television show...

[/I]http://blastr.com/2011/11/doctor-who-movie-the-bbc.php[/INDENT]

The last time they gave us a DW movie we were served a helping of Eric Roberts as The Master. Maybe they'll cast Ashton Kutcher as the Doctor this time around and Keanu Reeves as The Master so we can watch yet another Hollywood-massacred British show destined for the shelves of banality at Best Buy.

Why do they need to diverge from the current cast and continuity?

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
am i the only one in the workd who doesnt get "dr who"??? i seriously dont see any attraction in it... and tbh it is worse then the SYFY MOTW's implausible,stupid,childish and incredibly british (in the bad way).... someone please explain to me WHY you watch this crap?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
am i the only one in the workd who doesnt get "dr who"??? i seriously dont see any attraction in it... and tbh it is worse then the SYFY MOTW's implausible,stupid,childish and incredibly british (in the bad way).... someone please explain to me WHY you watch this crap?

It's just plain fun and entertaining. :D Simple as that. And as for it being childish sometimes, it's a family show, what do you expect?

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
It's just plain fun and entertaining. :D Simple as that. And as for it being childish sometimes, it's a family show, what do you expect?
i just dont get it man.... id rather sit through 30 syfy MOTW's then a single DW ep..

ill explain it in a way a fellow swede can easily grasp :)

to me Dr Who is the equiv of Kenny Starfighter..

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
i just dont get it man.... id rather sit through 30 syfy MOTW's then a single DW ep..

ill explain it in a way a fellow swede can easily grasp :)

to me Dr Who is the equiv of Kenny Starfighter..

Well that's taking it a bit too far. While Doctor Who is very lighhearted in its tone most of the times, it can pull of dramatic and suspenseful as well. Episodes like 'Blink' are great examples of that. Kenny Starfighter on the other hand is merely a comedy/kids movie in a sci fi setting.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's about the money, honey. They'll cast some Hollywood A-lister which will cause a lot of controversy thereby giving the movie a ton of free publicity. It will be about as important as The Simpsons movie was, which is to say not at all.

Bluce Ree

It's one of those shows that many of us find plain entertaining. It's total escapism, the fantasy of being able to travel time & space without limits. I find it's an acquired taste, though, and most of us Dr. Who fans have been fans since we were kids. :)

Every Thursday evening I'd go "YAY! :joy:" as I tuned in to watch Tom Baker's portrayal of Dr Who.

Bluce Ree

It's about the money, honey. They'll cast some Hollywood A-lister which will cause a lot of controversy thereby giving the movie a ton of free publicity. It will be about as important as The Simpsons movie was, which is to say not at all.

Great. Here comes Kelso (Ashton Kutcher) as Dr Who.

kelso-dr-who.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The key to making any Who movie work will be attaching a scriptwriter who is:

a) British

b) Knows Doctor Who

Otherwise they'll lose the "britishness" of the show which is an essential component of it. Also they need someone who knows Who so that we don't get another abomination like the Eric Roberts film. To that end they should also be looking British to cast The Doctor as well.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Great. Here comes Kelso as Dr Who.

View attachment 6306

I think he'd be much better at playing an evil alien supervillain. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJDwH96zqgo

The key to making any Who movie work will be attaching a scriptwriter who is:

a) British

b) Knows Doctor Who

Otherwise they'll lose the "britishness" of the show which is an essential component of it. Also they need someone who knows Who so that we don't get another abomination like the Eric Roberts film. To that end they should also be looking British to cast The Doctor as well.

I like some these suggestions:
http://blastr.com/2011/11/11-actors-who-could-be-th.php

James McAvoy would be an excellent pick. Same with Michael Fassbender, and I like Radcliffe but he's still a bit too young. In ten years time, maybe, but not now. I also have to admit that I think Johnny Depp would do fantastic work with the part, and if I had to pick one non-British actor to play the Doctor, he'd definitely be it.

Bluce Ree

I think he'd be much better at playing an evil alien supervillain. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJDwH96zqgo
[...]

I was talking about Kelso from That 70s Show. :icon_lol:

But Dr Kelso would make a perfect villain! Kelso vs Kelso. :icon_lol:

I gotta green you for that.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I was talking about Kelso from That 70s Show. :icon_lol:

But Dr Kelso would make a perfect villain! Kelso vs Kelso. :icon_lol:

I gotta green you for that.

I realized that, I was just making a funny. :P

Dr. Kelso would kick Kelso's ass and then have some poor inexperienced intern give him a colonoscopy which he has to pay for. :icon_lol:

Much appreciated man.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Doctor who is probably one of the last science fiction/fantasy shows that's lighthearted and entertaining to watch. I liked it being it's entertaining,amusing,funny and has a GREAT story arc The first few episodes of doctor who were a little slow but, if you watch episodes like "blink"(which was serious but totally awesome episode) you'll understand that there is quality behind the each episode.