Do you believe in aliens? (Poll)

Do you believe in aliens?

• Yes- And they have/are visiting Earth.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Yes- But they have never visited Earth.

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No- Earth is the lone planet with life in the universe.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Maybe- I never really thought about it.

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
S

Stonelesscutter

Did I insult somebody again?
I assure you it was completely unintentional.
This time. :ori:

@Gatefan
I know that the whole religious topic was not supposed to be a part of this thread but most of the posts here still incorporate it.
Perhaps a new thread should be made to take care of the whole science vs. religion issue.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I agree with that. I believe in a "higher power" but that higher power is not a humanoid or some emotional being that reacts to what we do on earth. I believe in alien life, but I do not believe in UFOs or that they have been visiting here. I also believe that any alien intelligence which DID go to another planet would be doing so to look for resources, not to pay us a visit. If it ever happens that we are visited by an alien civilization, that they will be here because they want something we have. There is no logical reason why any civilization would explore "just because", no matter how we like to portray it in science fiction. A searching civilization is a poor civilization looking for new resources.

Greenage!

agreeing cept for red.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Given that we can only see so far into the universe and even when we do see into the universe, the temporal difference is vast, I'd say there is a good chance of intelligent life out there. But one thing that bothers me is our concept of alien and life, would we parametrize life according to how we see life on our own planet? Isn't it an arrogant notion to believe that what we parametrize as life is the only acceptable way to determine if life exists in the universe?

And the alien thing that bothers me is mostly in regards to superior aliens. For example, on earth there are various lifeforms with various degrees of intelligence. For example, an ant is a lifeform and displays goal-oriented cooperation. Isn't that indicative of some form of intelligence? However, despite its level of intelligence, ants aren't truly aware of us and our complexity. They'd just regard us as some kind of adversity to their goals. They wouldn't have concepts to define us as superior to them or understand the universe as we do. So what's to say there aren't aliens out there that we aren't aware of because we lack conceptual mindpower and capabilities to comprehend their nature?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
after the kids I saw walking down the street today I am convinced there are aliens --- and they live in my neighborhood! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ears what ears?

thumbnail.aspx

Joe has that healthy, "regular guy" look and is in great shape looking at that pic. I would think that if he wasnt married, girls would be all over him, and they probably are STILL all over him even though he is married. :)

G

Graybrew1

Joe has that healthy, "regular guy" look and is in great shape looking at that pic. I would think that if he wasnt married, girls would be all over him, and they probably are STILL all over him even though he is married. :)

No arguments here.

S

Stonelesscutter

Ears what ears?

thumbnail.aspx

And isn't it amazing how he did such a great job on Atlantis while he only has 3 fingers on his right hand.
Or perhaps he lost those after the show was canned.
He did shoot something that had a hungry dino in it recently didn't he?

G

Graybrew1

And isn't it amazing how he did such a great job on Atlantis while he only has 3 fingers on his right hand.

I must have missed that. LOL

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

He was feeding Eli. :)

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
I don't believe any aliens have visited Earth, so I voted "no"...

I do believe that there is life on other planets, at least somewhere. Microbes, bacteria, plant life, animal life, absolutely.

Intelligent life? Possibly, but I really don't think so.