Creature At Bay- Syfy

B

Backstep

Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim made Kaiju (giant creatures inspired by the Japanese monster movie genre of the same name) all the rage this summer, and now X-Men director Bryan Singer is getting in on the craze. According to Deadline, Singer and his Bad Hat Harry production house are producing a "modern monster drama" for the SyFy network called Creature At Bay. It'll start with a 90-minute pilot episode written by John Cabrera, who created the digital series H+ (also produced by Singer). The pilot sounds like it'll kick off in a similar fashion to Pacific Rim (one of whose Kaiju is pictured above). Creature At Bay will take place in the aftermath of a Kaiju attack on northern California, after the US military successfully takes the giant monster down. Rather than focus on more huge battles, however, it sounds like Creature At Bay will take a closer look at how the attack and its aftermath bring the world's attention on a small town, presumably where the incident took place. There's no word on when we might see Creature At Bay — it sounds like the show is still in the early phases.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/22/4756164/x-men-director-bryan-singer-new-series-kaiju-monster-drama

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So the cynic in me has to ask, will this be another one of those shows where they have action in the first episode and then the rest of the episodes will devolve into hand wringing interpersonal melodrama?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So the cynic in me has to ask, will this be another one of those shows where they have action in the first episode and then the rest of the episodes will devolve into hand wringing interpersonal melodrama?

Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Oh, hell yes! Of course it will. That's the new Syfylys MO. They wrongly attributed the phenomenal ratings of the new BSG miniseries to quality rather than nostalgic curiosity and have been trying to recreate that turd ever since it died late in the 2nd season when people realized the melodrama was intentional and not a glitch in the system.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Short answer? Yes.

Long answer? Oh, hell yes! Of course it will. That's the new Syfylys MO. They wrongly attributed the phenomenal ratings of the new BSG miniseries to quality rather than nostalgic curiosity and have been trying to recreate that turd ever since it died late in the 2nd season when people realized the melodrama was intentional and not a glitch in the system.

Well I can forgive this in the new series if they promise to have a baby Kaiju that bonds with some humans (preferably precocious children) that are raising it. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A baby Kaiju? Like Minya? :confused:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

B

Backstep

A baby Kaiju like Mothra With all the singing and chanting for 5 mins every 20 mins.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim made Kaiju (giant creatures inspired by the Japanese monster movie genre of the same name) all the rage this summer, and now X-Men director Bryan Singer is getting in on the craze. According to Deadline, Singer and his Bad Hat Harry production house are producing a "modern monster drama" for the SyFy network called Creature At Bay. It'll start with a 90-minute pilot episode written by John Cabrera, who created the digital series H+ (also produced by Singer). The pilot sounds like it'll kick off in a similar fashion to Pacific Rim (one of whose Kaiju is pictured above). Creature At Bay will take place in the aftermath of a Kaiju attack on northern California, after the US military successfully takes the giant monster down. Rather than focus on more huge battles, however, it sounds like Creature At Bay will take a closer look at how the attack and its aftermath bring the world's attention on a small town, presumably where the incident took place. There's no word on when we might see Creature At Bay — it sounds like the show is still in the early phases.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/22/4756164/x-men-director-bryan-singer-new-series-kaiju-monster-drama

So we have been hearing alot of what SYFY is working on. Just how do they intend on finding air time for all of these new shows?

If they are going to run many of them, they will certainly have to kill off their bread and butter "reality shows".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
A baby Kaiju? Like Minya? :confused:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

You know how these shows always go -- some cute kids (always white) find an injured baby monster that they nurse back to health and then raise, all the while keeping it hidden from their single mom who is too busy just trying to keep a roof over her family's head to notice the giant monster growing in the tool shed out back.

(I am of course being sarcastic. The appearance of children in such shows is usually the kiss of death.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You know how these shows always go -- some cute kids (always white) find an injured baby monster that they nurse back to health and then raise, all the while keeping it hidden from their single mom who is too busy just trying to keep a roof over her family's head to notice the giant monster growing in the tool shed out back.

(I am of course being sarcastic. The appearance of children in such shows is usually the kiss of death.

Actually, its usually a small Japanese boy about the age of 7, wearing a baseball cap and sometimes shorts with suspenders on them. :) This was taken to new heights with Gamera and Mothra. But the American version is similar, except the kids are pre-teens, but yes, always white. :)

B

Backstep

I remember that tv show, Surface. :replicatoranime01:

B

Backstep

So we have been hearing alot of what SYFY is working on. Just how do they intend on finding air time for all of these new shows?

If they are going to run many of them, they will certainly have to kill off their bread and butter "reality shows".

Axing any 'Reality show' is a good thing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Axing any 'Reality show' is a good thing.

absolutely

I am just kind of in doubt about all of these new syfy productions-all sound reasonably promising and all sci fi

they even had a pretty decent pilot on- REWIND (when is that going to series if ever?)

Kind of reminds me of history. All of these syfy promises of new shows to keep viewers and ratings is like the nazis promising all of their "wonder weapons" to win the war-and they never delivered.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I remember that tv show, Surface. :replicatoranime01:

OMG, I absolutely loved that show. :( They left it hanging with half the South flooded, and creatures swimming the world's oceans, and a kid with special powers given to him by his domesticated baby monster. Just got cancelled at that cliffhanger.