Black Widow....at least it isn't totally woke

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I got to take in Black Widow a couple of days ago and have mixed feelings.

I'll start with the good - Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh and David Harbour all did good jobs....with the material they were given. And neither Black Widow nor Yelena Belova were Mary Sues. And some of the fights were good.

Then the not so good - the plot needed a SERIOUS piece of stripping down and clarity. I don't care if it was comics faithful (it wasn't) it was poorly constructed and didn't totally hang together.

Also, the movie was tonally all over the place. Instead of modeling the film on the Mission Impossible films (which would have fit perfectly) for example the tone is inconsistent and the pacing is all over the place too.

Finally the big battle scenes were both overdone and felt like none of the characters were in any form of danger ever - which makes it boring as there are no stakes. It makes it hard to care about these characters also as they never feel like they are in peril.

Overall, it could be worse.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Unfortunately the mass use of CGI has indeed resulted in what you describe. Everything has become more explosion-ey and epic and yes the sound is loud. I also miss the more orchestral types of soundtracks as opposed to the current infatuation with techno beats.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Unfortunately the mass use of CGI has indeed resulted in what you describe. Everything has become more explosion-ey and epic and yes the sound is loud. I also miss the more orchestral types of soundtracks as opposed to the current infatuation with techno beats.
The techno bit is fine. I listen to techno but it sounds nothing like it. It just sounds like annoying and very depressing in a bad way. There is no genuine heart in it anymore. It just cookie cutter stuff. Even the way it has been shot looks creepy and dark.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Agreed. The last new release movie I saw where the cinematography and the music matched properly and set the mood right was actually Godzilla - King of the Monsters. And I think part of that was the the director was a big Godzilla fan and the score had lots of more classic al pieces and hints and throwbacks to the Ifukube music the original films used.