B5 Third Space

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Hmm, ok, lets not get into religion here, (admittedly a difficult task considering the book in question)
I have no desire to get into a religious debate with anyone, personal faith imho, should stay that way, at least in general conversation :P

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
Hmm, ok, lets not get into religion here, (admittedly a difficult task considering the book in question)
I have no desire to get into a religious debate with anyone, personal faith imho, should stay that way, at least in general conversation :P

Well, you first mentioned the "C" word! :P

But actually I don't think a person must be religious to believe there are some things "out there" that don't yield to reason. That's why 2001: A Space Odyssey is my favorite movie (The Andromeda Strain is my favorite book- like you I'm also a big fan of plagues being pretty damn scary!!!). I like to think there are things we just don't understand, things that are not really "understandable" to a logical way of thinking. Dave evolved into the Star Child but it wasn't a gradual learning process, it was a quantum leap. I don't think logic had anything to do with it.

Interestingly, it's not really clear whether what he turned into was good, bad or indifferent. In B5 they implied that the Vorlons and Shadows were "giants in the sandbox" and didn't care one way or the other about us, basically they were amoral. So were the Ancients, much to Daniel's dismay. That's kind of a post-modern view of the universe, very Nietzschean.

Now I've gone and made myself totally depressed.