YouTube Apparently Wants People to Comment Using Their Real Names...

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL!

Apparently he wasn't lying. Try to comment on a video today and a window will pop up with the title "Start using your full name on YouTube," which will sign you in with your Google+ account. A YouTube spokesperson
told BetaBeat
that this option has been offered since June 29 and that users with a Google+ account will see the same thing if they try to upload a video. If you don't want to use your Google+ account, you can refuse -- but then you're taken to a second prompt, which asks "Are you sure?" Then, like some kind of Internet degenerate, you must explain why you don't want to use your full name.

Google+ is still around? :biggrin: It has not exactly been the Facebook killer they thought it would be. I think that YouTube should give the UPLOADER the option whether or not to allow anonymous commentary or demand real names. I will not be corralled into any draconian mining operation fueled by Google. Google+ is being considered a flop for the most part.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL!

Google+ is still around? :biggrin: It has not exactly been the Facebook killer they thought it would be. I think that YouTube should give the UPLOADER the option whether or not to allow anonymous commentary or demand real names. I will not be corralled into any draconian mining operation fueled by Google. Google+ is being considered a flop for the most part.

Did I say that? Yep....but today, 4 years later, I depend on Google for actual management and useability. I have migrated my domain email to Google for Business. I use Google Remote Desktop for my clients, I use the single sign in feature for my Zoho apps and several frequently used websites. In exchange for all of these free services, they get surfing habit data. So what? When I want to hide that, I can do it with Firefox or Chromium or a number of ways. I think it's a fair trade for the ease of use.

But the opening thread is right and I will never give in. I have created several accounts to use for commenting on YouTube. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Did I say that? Yep....but today, 4 years later, I depend on Google for actual management and useability. I have migrated my domain email to Google for Business. I use Google Remote Desktop for my clients, I use the single sign in feature for my Zoho apps and several frequently used websites. In exchange for all of these free services, they get surfing habit data. So what?

Damn! Talk about a complete 180. :icon_lol:

When I want to hide that, I can do it with Firefox or Chromium or a number of ways. I think it's a fair trade for the ease of use.

You'd have to use a VPN, a stealth browser or a non-Google, anon search engine to completely disguise your habits from home if you're using any Google services & search. They'll still tie your account to the IP it last used if you're Googling without any identifiable tokens but still using the same IP.