X-Men: Days of Future Past

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I gather the official trailer goes up soon, and the movie itself is a summer release I think.

I'm kind of looking forward to this one. Days of Future Past is one of the most well received comic superhero stories out there. Plus, I liked most of the X-Men films - X-Men and X-Men 2 were groundbreakers in movies based on comics and to this day I would call them together the best comic movies out there. X-Men 3 was a misfire because they made a BAD choice of director, but Bryan Singer is back for this one. I never saw X-Men First Class.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Holy fucking shit, this movie was so good. Best movie of 2014 for me so far.

This movie had two things that I really care about in movies, good story AND good characterizations. Sure, it was a time travel story, but it was a really compelling story. They really brought in the gravity of the situation into it really well.

Mutants and humans that are supporting them head towards extinction in an apocalyptic-like world in the future. One mutant power evolution allows Kitty to send a mind back. Logan is chosen due to his healing ability. Logan has to convince a younger Xavier and Magneto to work together to prevent their bleak future for both mutants and mankind as a whole. This revolves around a certain program and a certain character being the catalyst for that program manifesting. Regardless of how shoddy that story may be, it was really the presentation of it and the way they interlaced human/mutant drama that made it really good. They also really did the superhero aspect as well. Most superhero movies (looking at you Disney MCU) lack in actual 'superhero' level powers, using them well, and the lack of gravitas of impending doom/fighting for just survival. X-Men: DoFP was able to capture and utilize unique mutant powers as well as have the gravitas of their situation really well. I was completely engrossed.

Another thing, movie didn't really depend on Wolverine so much as previous movies. They really balanced all the characters, and he played more of a good supporting role which is sort of more along the lines of the team mentality of X-Men from the comics. Quicksilver, as ridiculous as he looked when his suit was revealed which I even mocked, was the best part of the movie. He stole the show with his scene. Only reason I'd recommend 3D is for his scene which I think you just have to see in 3D. His power and that entire scene involving him just requires that extra 3D aspect to it. But you can skip going 3D if you don't wanna for that scene; the rest of the movie didn't require 3D.

This movie was really well acted by pretty much everyone. The future sentinels were great. It was just a compelling, dramatic story with occasional well-timed humour that doesn't undercut dramatic situations and had cool utilization of 'superhero' powers. It had more of an adult tone than most other movies within the genre, appropriate for X-Men. The mutants of the future used their powers in very clever ways. Fassbender is fantastic as Magneto. Jackman always good as Wolverine, but I thought he was better in this one due to how well he supports the other characters instead of being the forefront. The star power in this movie is well utilized as opposed to gravitating towards any one character. Anyways, if anyone else watched it, we can discuss spoilers and some of the cool ways they used powers. End credit scene was alright, teased a major foe of X-Men.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not surprising it is good. It reunites the original X-Men cast and the source material is considered one of the all time classic comic stories.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Only reason I'd recommend 3D ...

uFFuSCy.gif

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I never saw X-Men First Class.

It's definitely worth seeing. It explains the origins of the X-men and it's done quite well. Make sure to put it on your list as I suspect you'd like it.

I actually liked it better than most of the previous movies believe it or not. But that might have been because that horrible Halle Berry wasn't in it. ;)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
@Bluce, you didn't like the movie? lol, did warn you about the 3d about that being the only scene relevant for 3d. So no one watched this movie?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
@Bluce, you didn't like the movie? lol, did warn you about the 3d about that being the only scene relevant for 3d. So no one watched this movie?

Im going to see it tonight with a friend. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I haven't seen it yet but I am looking forward to it. I'm just not a fan of 3D movies. Currentl technology in theaters sucks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I haven't seen it yet but I am looking forward to it. I'm just not a fan of 3D movies. Currentl technology in theaters sucks.

I completely agree. 3D is just a way for theaters to get more money. Now IMAX is different though...quite a different experience from 3D, and I like it but am still not willing to pay a premium to see anything being made lately in that format.

I want to see this X-Men.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmmm...okay I saw this. It was okay, not a bad movie. But it was not really all I expected it to be. I saw it in regular 2D (thankfully, since the 3D ticket was almost $20!). I thought Fassbender did a great job as Magneto. But the rest of the movie...it wasn't bad, but it wasn't really all that IMO.

I will reserve further comment until more here have seen it. :)