X-Men Apococrap - aka Apocalypse

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wolverine's physical appearance in the comic books is late 40s to early 50s in all series. He can't be replaced with a 20-something or even a 30-something in the movies. Keep in mind he was born in 1886. Although he ages slowly, he still does actually age. He physically matured quickly but the maturing process slowed down to a crawl when he reached adulthood.

I don't know the comic X-Men series that well, but I agree that he cant be TOO much younger. However, they can take a younger actor and age him with makeup and allow him to age into the role naturally.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Um.....not sure he would fit this role! In 1886, slavery would still have been only fairly recently abolished.

Forbes ran this piece on possible replacements, and I only like two of them: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...ace-hugh-jackman-as-wolverine/2/#6c00b35336bf

The people they have listed (10 of them) don't seem to be a good fit except two (IMO):

Tom Hardy
Shia LeBeouf
Penn Badgley
Kit Harington
Scott Eastwood
Scott Caan - :beckett_new049:
Jake Gyllenhaal - :beckett_new049:
Kevin Hart
Taylor Kitsch
Garrett Hedlund

The others either do not look tough enough, or they lack charisma IMO

Oh, for f*ck's sake. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Wolverine is not a "strapping young buck". What's with the f*cking obsession to recast every role with a young duckling?

The only guy who most closely resembles Wolverine's comic book appearance is Scott Caan, in spite of his short stature, as long as they don't take 10 years off his face with cakes of makup. In the comic books, Wolverine isn't as tall as Jackman.

Bluce Ree

I don't know the comic X-Men series that well, but I agree that he cant be TOO much younger. However, they can take a younger actor and age him with makeup and allow him to age into the role naturally.

It wouldn't come off right. Aging an actor with makeup never translates well on-screen.

Bluce Ree

So, looks like Caan is the best choice for replacement, IMO. Caan is 5'5" tall, about the same height, more or less, as Wolverine in the comics (billed between 5'3 to 5'5 at various times). His body type could easily support a bulkier muscle mass to more closely resemble Wolverine in the comics.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, for f*ck's sake. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Wolverine is not a "strapping young buck". What's with the f*cking obsession to recast every role with a young duckling?

The only guy who most closely resembles Wolverine's comic book appearance is Scott Caan, in spite of his short stature, as long as they don't take 10 years off his face with cakes of makup. In the comic books, Wolverine isn't as tall as Jackman.

Totally agree here. The new Storm to me comes off as some high school girl who I expect to be taking out her pink rhinestone covered iPhone to check her Facebook feed every 10 minutes and still uses glitter in some fashion. And the new Cyclops comes off sorta like a high school quarterback. :) Scott Caan does fit, but I also think Jake Gyllenhaal fits.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Storm-X-Men-Apocalypse-645x370.jpg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So, looks like Caan is the best choice for replacement, IMO. Caan is 5'5" tall, about the same height, more or less, as Wolverine in the comics (billed between 5'3 to 5'5 at various times). His body type could easily support a bulkier muscle mass to more closely resemble Wolverine in the comics.

His face looks like a well-pounded vagina. No thanks. :beckett_new050:

Scott+Caan-Getty.jpg

*Admittedly I don't know what a well-pounded vagina looks like (nor do I ever want to) but I suspect it looks a lot like this guy's face.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

View attachment 32939

*Admittedly I don't know what a well-pounded vagina looks like (nor do I ever want to) but I suspect it looks a lot like this guy's face.

Really? I think he's pretty good looking. He has that masculine, rugged tough guy look needed for the role. This guy is also on the list.

Penn-Badgley.jpg

Not seeing a Wolverine there. Wonder Woman? Maybe. With a hairy chest. A transgender Wonder Woman, that's it! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
New Nightcrawler, Jean Gray and Cyclops. It's literally Superhero High.

xmen_apocalyose.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They are missing a basic element of why this franchise used to be so successful - it was exactly because the heroes were NOT all teens and twenties. There was a mix of two or three youngsters and the rest older.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They are missing a basic element of why this franchise used to be so successful - it was exactly because the heroes were NOT all teens and twenties. There was a mix of two or three youngsters and the rest older.

Yep. But now X-Men is a PRODUCT, just like Star Wars, Star Trek, The Avengers, Batman, Godzilla, etc etc. Im sick of the movie franchise formula. So predictable these days. :( Now, I spend time searching out web series, fan made stuff, and obscure productions in the Kodi lists. This X-Men movie was just okay. You barely remember the story at all, 2 hours after watching it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's sad, because the first two films were superb, and also groundbreaking in that they set the model for the current more realistic setting superhero films.

Bluce Ree

Totally agree here. The new Storm to me comes off as some high school girl who I expect to be taking out her pink rhinestone covered iPhone to check her Facebook feed every 10 minutes and still uses glitter in some fashion. And the new Cyclops comes off sorta like a high school quarterback. :) Scott Caan does fit, but I also think Jake Gyllenhaal fits.

Ah, screw it. I'll throw myself in for the role. I :icon_lol:

View attachment 32939

Perhaps but his look is more along the lines of the comic book Wolverine. Logan has lived a long time and is battle-worn. He's seen a lot of death and violence and has become cynical towards life. The dude's face captures all of that. :icon_lol:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Excellent match.
His name is Phil Brooks, Also know as CM Punk.
He's 38, a retired WWE wrestler and UFC fighter who knows Kenpo and Brazilian Jui-jutsu, so he can certainly fight.
Oh, and he is currently writing for Marvel on the Stand-alone Drax comic book and is a lifetime comic book fan :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG, this thread has taken a disturbingly gay turn -- and this is coming from the resident homosexual of the joint. :icon_e_surprised:

As for Phil Brooks, he's a poor man's Randy Orton.

SD_731_Photo_017_crop_north.jpg