X-Men Apococrap - aka Apocalypse

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As to Jackman, the main issue comes forward because they basically made most of the X-Men teens and early twenties. Wolverine is starting to look aged, and his mutation should preclude that.

EXACTLY. If they kept the original X-Men, he would still fit in quite nicely. But the changes they have made put him out of place. Of course they still need Wolverine, but Jackman is no longer the right person to play that role IMO.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
EXACTLY. If they kept the original X-Men, he would still fit in quite nicely. But the changes they have made put him out of place. Of course they still need Wolverine, but Jackman is no longer the right person to play that role IMO.

And the fact that they've kept Jackman in the role for so many movies makes it even harder to replace him because, well, fanboys.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And the fact that they've kept Jackman in the role for so many movies makes it even harder to replace him because, well, fanboys.

I wanted them to keep Halle Berry as Storm, but they have replaced her with a much younger (teen) actress. Jean is now a blonde teen, and Cyclops and Beast have been replaced by much younger actors as well. I really don't think Jackman is going to remain Wolverine, and I believe they will have to replace him because of his age relative to the other X-Men. All of them have been replaced except him.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wanted them to keep Halle Berry as Storm, but they have replaced her with a much younger (teen) actress. Jean is now a blonde teen, and Cyclops and Beast have been replaced by much younger actors as well. I really don't think Jackman is going to remain Wolverine, and I believe they will have to replace him because of his age relative to the other X-Men. All of them have been replaced except him.

I agree, they've basically replaced every actor in the series of movies with the exception of Jackman. I get that his character isn't supposed to age so naturally he'd look the same in the earlier timeline. But he's actually looking older in the prequels, which doesn't work to be honest.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't hate Jackman, I'm just tired of him. More importantly, I'm not so stunted in my viewing requirements that I have to have him play the role until he's a wheelchair-bound, diaper-shitting octogenarian.

Replacing him in the role at this point is something of a Catch 22 situation though which is why they should have done it earlier. Any actor taking over the role now will be at a disadvantage. The fanboys will crucify the poor SOB whoever it is.

BTW, how many of these new X-men movies are they going to make? I assumed it was just a trilogy but maybe I'm wrong. If they're ending the series then it's a moot point about Jackman but if they are going to make more movies in the same timeline then they really need to make a change.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And the Apocalypse in the comics does not do that - rather the comic Apocalypse wants to not only wipe out humans (because the don't genetically measure up) but even those mutants he does not think genetically meet the grade.

Also, having him be the first mutant was tried in the comics but disliked because it subverts the overall plot, which is that the mutant "X" gene has only started to assert itself in the last few generations.

Apocalypse "enhanced" the four mutants he allied with, by giving them more power and magnifying their abilities.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree, they've basically replaced every actor in the series of movies with the exception of Jackman. I get that his character isn't supposed to age so naturally he'd look the same in the earlier timeline. But he's actually looking older in the prequels, which doesn't work to be honest.

He looks oldest in this movie. And yeah, I loved Jackman's Wolverine, but it's time to swap him out for a new actor.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't hate Jackman, I'm just tired of him. More importantly, I'm not so stunted in my viewing requirements that I have to have him play the role until he's a wheelchair-bound, diaper-shitting octogenarian.

:shep_lol::icon_rotflmao: You could not have Pam Anderson of 2016 playing a Baywatch babe could you? You can't have the 2016 Sean Connery take up the James Bond mantle again, could you? (He would make a GREAT Master Jedi). It's like that. Jackman is still a great actor, but his Wolverine days are over IMO.

Replacing him in the role at this point is something of a Catch 22 situation though which is why they should have done it earlier. Any actor taking over the role now will be at a disadvantage. The fanboys will crucify the poor SOB whoever it is.

Yes, they will. But if they do it right, it might not be as bad for them. I was hating on Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman before actually seeing her do it in the Batman Bomb. She slayed the role, and I am not at all missing Lynda Carter. Then again, if they pick the wrong actor, it could be a two movie disaster before they could replace him again. Who knows? :indecisiveness:

BTW, how many of these new X-men movies are they going to make? I assumed it was just a trilogy but maybe I'm wrong. If they're ending the series then it's a moot point about Jackman but if they are going to make more movies in the same timeline then they really need to make a change.

UPDATE:

the-wolverine-one-last-time-movie-poster-333681.jpg

Looks like the Jackman Wolverine will come to an end with Wolverine 3 (March 2017). Patrick Stewart's Professor X will be Xavier for this. :joy::joy::joy::joy:. The movie is filming now.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Upcoming-X-Men-Movies-List-Titles-Release-Dates-107507.html

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The only reason Wolverine is in Apocalypse is because he was training for that (Wolverine) movie anyway :)
Hugh himself does not want to do the role anymore past this movie, so if they get a new actor and Jackman makes it clear this is the last time for him, they might not get the backlash from dipshit fans.
Maybe..............

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The only reason Wolverine is in Apocalypse is because he was training for that (Wolverine) movie anyway :)
Hugh himself does not want to do the role anymore past this movie, so if they get a new actor and Jackman makes it clear this is the last time for him, they might not get the backlash from dipshit fans.
Maybe..............

Yep, and he was the quintessential Wolverine. Even when they get a new one, Jackman's Wolverine will still be the definitive one. To me, Patrick Stewart's Professor X is the "real" one. :) I like the new one too, and I think it is especially cool that they made him bald in this last movie. That says just how much Stewart shaped the movie portrayal.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yep, and he was the quintessential Wolverine. Even when they get a new one, Jackman's Wolverine will still be the definitive one. To me, Patrick Stewart's Professor X is the "real" one. :) I like the new one too, and I think it is especially cool that they made him bald in this last movie. That says just how much Stewart shaped the movie portrayal.

Well, no. Xavier has been bald since they created the X-Men in comic book lore.

Bluce Ree

:shep_lol::icon_rotflmao: You could not have Pam Anderson of 2016 playing a Baywatch babe could you? You can't have the 2016 Sean Connery take up the James Bond mantle again, could you?

This is the comparison you're drawing? Really? :icon_lol:

Wolverine was born in 1886.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Might I suggest this guy take over the role? :biggrin:

01-idris-elba.w529.h529.jpg

Bluce Ree

He no longer fits the role when you take in the rest of the characters. It's hard to explain. You should see the movie!

So, I just watched the whole cameo segment. I don't really see it. Jackman looked younger in the first two X-Men movies but he pretty much looks now as he looked in all the proceeding movies in his Wolverine roles. Being born in 1886, how he looks now is how he should have looked throughout the entire movie timeline we've seen to date and that is pretty (not perfectly) consistent with every appearance following the first two X-Men.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is the comparison you're drawing? Really? :icon_lol:

Wolverine was born in 1886.

See the movie. That is the only way you will understand why he no longer fits the role. Besides, he is not supposed to age, remember? He looks older now than he did in the later flicks (timeline-wise). He has one more Wolverine movie and he is quitting. I loved his Wolverine, but it's over now.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, I just watched the whole cameo segment. I don't really see it. Jackman looked younger in the first two X-Men movies but he pretty much looks now as he looked in all the proceeding movies in his Wolverine roles. Being born in 1886, how he looks now is how he should have looked throughout the entire movie timeline we've seen to date and that is pretty (not perfectly) consistent with every appearance since the first two X-Men.

You need to see the WHOLE movie to understand why he no longer fits, not just the cameo. There is nothing wrong with Jackman or Wolverine. It's just that the part needs a new actor. This is all moot now because he will be leaving the role with Wolverine 3. I don't think he is old looking or is doing any different than he did in the other X-Men or Wolverine movies. It's just that the backdrop has changed around him. Sorta like when you remodel a room and keep the old furniture.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
See above.

Notice, I agreed with your comment. Even so, I still am okay with him leaving the role and being replaced by a younger actor because the mix will be more balanced.

Bluce Ree

Notice, I agreed with your comment. Even so, I still am okay with him leaving the role and being replaced by a younger actor because the mix will be more balanced.

His character would be completely out of touch with the comics if he were replaced by a "younger" actor. Sure, it may add longevity but Wolverine cannot age at the same rate as the others. This isn't Twilight. They would still need to replace him with a 40-ish to 50-ish actor.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Might I suggest this guy take over the role? :biggrin:

01-idris-elba.w529.h529.jpg

Um.....not sure he would fit this role! In 1886, slavery would still have been only fairly recently abolished.

Forbes ran this piece on possible replacements, and I only like two of them: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...ace-hugh-jackman-as-wolverine/2/#6c00b35336bf

The people they have listed (10 of them) don't seem to be a good fit except two (IMO):

Tom Hardy
Shia LeBeouf
Penn Badgley
Kit Harington
Scott Eastwood
Scott Caan - :beckett_new049:
Jake Gyllenhaal - :beckett_new049:
Kevin Hart
Taylor Kitsch
Garrett Hedlund

The others either do not look tough enough, or they lack charisma IMO

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
His character would be completely out of touch with the comics if he were replaced by a "younger" actor. Sure, it may add longevity but Wolverine cannot age at the same rate as the others. This isn't Twilight. They would still need to replace him with a 40-ish to 50-ish actor.

Jackman does not look his age to me anyway! But yeah, they will have to get a non-teen. All the new X-Men besides Professor-X and Magneto are teens or 20-somethings.

Bluce Ree

Jackman does not look his age to me anyway! But yeah, they will have to get a non-teen. All the new X-Men besides Professor-X and Magneto are teens or 20-somethings.

Wolverine's physical appearance in the comic books is late 40s to early 50s in all series. He can't be replaced with a 20-something or even a 30-something in the movies. Keep in mind he was born in 1886. Although he ages slowly, he still does actually age. He physically matured quickly but the maturing process slowed down to a crawl when he reached adulthood.