X-Men Apococrap - aka Apocalypse

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
These movies make billions and hollywood knows this and that's why keep churning out sequels after sequels...

I'm just now getting around to this movie (Im getting it now). I will post my review later. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I want my 2 hours and 11 minutes back. :( The special effects in this were spectacular, but way way way too much destruction and forced "epicness". I just finished watching it 2 minutes ago, and I am not ready to review it. There is just too much to talk about, too many new elements to critique. Generally speaking, I did not like the story of the movie at all, and I came to that conclusion about 30 minutes into the film. The only thing that kept me watching was wanting to see the special effects.

The titles of this film and the first 15 minutes could EASILY have served as the opening titles and story of the new Stargate movies which are coming. Blatant ripoff of ancient history, and a man-god to go with it, which (once again) threatens the very existence of Man. I did think that the massive launch of all the world's nuclear weapons into space was a nice touch. I also like the fact that the new Professor Xavier has been made bald like Stewart's Xavier. I like the new Storm and the new Jean, but I still do not understand what her powers really are.

The main flaws of this film are the Biblical references, the antagonist man-god from ancient Egypt which was hokey, and the complete lack of humor. It's just too dark. The level of destruction in this film is cataclysmic. If they make another one in this series, they are going to have to talk about how they rebuilt. In the end of the film, they rebuilt Xavier House using telekinesis (cause they blew it up in the movie).

This is not a review, but it might be the best I can muster at this point. Not worth a rewatch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
is wolverine in it? by that I mean hugh jackman? and does he take off his clothing? those are the important questions! :vala-new011:

Yes, he is in it and shirtless. But his appearance in it is oddly placed and short.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Apocalypse was a bad choice of mutant for a movie, as he was not THAT well received even in the comics and also because any story with him would inherently involve mass destruction due to his agenda and nature.

Unfortunately, the X-Men films went into the tank starting with the third one (Last Stand). The original X-Men and X-Men 2 were and still are two defining films in the genre and two of the best superhero films ever made. Starting at Last Stand, however, they fell into the trap of too many characters coupled with way overblown destruction and making things too epic and too dark (sound familiar?).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Apocalypse was a bad choice of mutant for a movie, as he was not THAT well received even in the comics and also because any story with him would inherently involve mass destruction due to his agenda and nature.

Unfortunately, the X-Men films went into the tank starting with the third one (Last Stand). The original X-Men and X-Men 2 were and still are two defining films in the genre and two of the best superhero films ever made. Starting at Last Stand, however, they fell into the trap of too many characters coupled with way overblown destruction and making things too epic and too dark (sound familiar?).

The dialogue in this and the scenes and events were so disconnected. It was as though they thought up sequences in the film and then shot them separately, then somebody came after and stitched them together in a loose sort of fashion. Take the Wolverine appearance. He comes out of nowhere, the soldiers announce that "Weapon X" is loose, Wolverine comes out wearing some sort of headgear which is controlling him, then he proceeds to destroy everyone until Jean mind melds with him (for want of a better term). Then, she takes the headgear off him, and he runs into the snow never to be seen in the movie again. So random.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I actually had high hopes for this one as I didn't mind the last two X-men flicks. And the trailer looks interesting. But I gotta say I can't possibly buy them rebuilding Xavier's mansion/school using telekinesis. That's worse than cartoonish. Also, I'm sick and tired of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. They need to just stop with him. I know I know, he's ageless and has done a great job with the character blah blah blah. I don't care. :rolleye0014: He needs to go away.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I actually had high hopes for this one as I didn't mind the last two X-men flicks. And the trailer looks interesting. But I gotta say I can't possibly buy them rebuilding Xavier's mansion/school using telekinesis. That's worse than cartoonish. Also, I'm sick and tired of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. They need to just stop with him. I know I know, he's ageless and has done a great job with the character blah blah blah. I don't care. :rolleye0014: He needs to go away.

Regarding the bolded...not anymore! He looked old compared to ALL the other X-Men who are seemingly all late teens or early 20s. He looks even older than James McAvoy who plays the new Professor X. It's time to replace him as Wolverine, like they replaced Storm, Jean and Xavier. Michael Fassbender works in this because his son Quicksilver (who has not told Magneto that he is his son) is in the movie. Jackman's Wolverine is past it's shelf life.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Regarding the bolded...not anymore! He looked old compared to ALL the other X-Men who are seemingly all late teens or early 20s. He looks even older than James McAvoy who plays the new Professor X.

Well, Hugh Jackman the actor *is* older than James McAvoy AND Wolverine the character is older than Xavier, even physically at that point in time. I don't get the hate for Hugh Jackman. He owns the Wolverine character.

I think he's still got a few more movies in him but he, himself, has expressed being tired of doing Wolverine, mostly because of the physical demands preparing for the part.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, Hugh Jackman the actor *is* older than James McAvoy AND Wolverine the character is older than Xavier, even physically at that point in time. I don't get the hate for Hugh Jackman. He owns the Wolverine character.

I think he's still got a few more movies in him but he, himself, has expressed being tired of doing Wolverine, mostly because of the physical demands preparing for the part.

roflbot (4).jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alas the issue is not Jackman. It is that the X-Men movies have gotten too unfocused and too dark.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Oh, I am not hating on Jackman, I actually admire him in many ways. And I like the Wolverine character. But in this movie, he is only a bloody cameo (literally bloody). He has less than 10 minutes total, and I can't remember but I don't believe he utters a single word. He comes in, kills a bunch of soldiers, then runs off into the snowy forest, never to be seen again in the movie.

However, it's definitely time to swap him out for a new actor. Have you watched this movie yet?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Alas the issue is not Jackman. It is that the X-Men movies have gotten too unfocused and too dark.

Yep, way way too dark and unfunny. This one was even preachy.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ummm.....................
X-men was made preachy, they are a metaphor after all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ummm.....................
X-men was made preachy, they are a metaphor after all.

Perhaps, but a metaphor for a bullshit premise. Apocalypse was as bad as the Engineers in Prometheus, except at least he could speak. The other X-Men movies do not have this element of preachiness you feel and hear in this one.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Oh, I am not hating on Jackman, I actually admire him in many ways. And I like the Wolverine character. But in this movie, he is only a bloody cameo (literally bloody). He has less than 10 minutes total, and I can't remember but I don't believe he utters a single word. He comes in, kills a bunch of soldiers, then runs off into the snowy forest, never to be seen again in the movie.

However, it's definitely time to swap him out for a new actor. Have you watched this movie yet?

Not yet but the reason for his part being only a cameo is not to take focus away from the X-Men. Wolverine has a tendency to steal the show.

Still don't get why you feel he needs to be swapped out despite the fact he's tired of playing Wolverine.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps, but a metaphor for a bullshit premise. Apocalypse was as bad as the Engineers in Prometheus, except at least he could speak. The other X-Men movies do not have this element of preachiness you feel and hear in this one.
Did you forget where Magneto came from in the very first movie?
I'm not discussing -this- movie, but what the -entire premise- of the X-men is built on. The preaching runs through all the movies, it is a basic element of it. I don't know if Apocalypse makes it more overt, I assume it has seeing as though you are commenting on it, but it's a consistent thread.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not yet but the reason for his part being only a cameo is not to take focus away from the X-Men. Wolverine has a tendency to steal the show.

Still don't get why you feel he needs to be swapped out despite the fact he's tired of playing Wolverine.

He no longer fits the role when you take in the rest of the characters. It's hard to explain. You should see the movie!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Did you forget where Magneto came from in the very first movie?
I'm not discussing -this- movie, but what the -entire premise- of the X-men is built on. The preaching runs through all the movies, it is a basic element of it. I don't know if Apocalypse makes it more overt, I assume it has seeing as though you are commenting on it, but it's a consistent thread.

That is not at all what I am referring to. They are trying to do something else preachy in this one. Like in Prometheus, they have tried to give the origin story of Man to some otherworldly creature. They literally have Apocalypse saying he is known as Ra, Jesus, etc etc. They claim he was the first mutant in the film. The way they do it creates this preachy Apocalypse mutant who refers to the other mutants as "my child" and such. It's the way the movie starts out. It's lame the way they did it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And the Apocalypse in the comics does not do that - rather the comic Apocalypse wants to not only wipe out humans (because the don't genetically measure up) but even those mutants he does not think genetically meet the grade.

Also, having him be the first mutant was tried in the comics but disliked because it subverts the overall plot, which is that the mutant "X" gene has only started to assert itself in the last few generations.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As to Jackman, the main issue comes forward because they basically made most of the X-Men teens and early twenties. Wolverine is starting to look aged, and his mutation should preclude that.