X-Men Apococrap - aka Apocalypse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heisenberg, Dec 14, 2015.

1. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bluce Ree

Bluce Ree Tech Admin / Council Member

I dunno, I like the X-Men. I find it's one of the few Marvel properties that translated very well to the big screen and they've done a pretty good job with it so far. Fantastic Four, on other hand, should have been aborted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

I like the X-Men a whole lot. In many ways, more than the Avengers. I did not like them breaking out or concentrating on Wolverine, and I was not all that excited about Magneto moving that entire stadium in the last movie, but they are solid and entertaining. Why is it they have to make these movies about threatening the entire existence of Man in every movie? :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bluce Ree

Well, considering that these people are godlike with their powers, it would seem fitting that the stories we see would be the epic events in their history. It would hardly seem fitting that the X-Men chase down bank robbers. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. heisenberg

Not hating on x-men as a franchise, but this movie looks awful with the whole bible reference and all that crap.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Overmind One

Agreed. Looks very formulaic and dumb, but shiny and explode-y. The dumb popcorn heads will love it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Joelist

Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

The original X-Men and X-Men 2 were superb, and indeed were the pioneer films in the notion of more "real world" type superhero films. Sadly after that the series kind of flew off the rails. Magneto went from a "gray" character to "mutant Ming" and the payoff on the Dark Phoenix story was laughter inducing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. heisenberg

These movies make billions and hollywood knows this and that's why keep churning out sequels after sequels...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rac80

Rac80 The Belle of the Ball

is wolverine in it? by that I mean hugh jackman? and does he take off his clothing? those are the important questions! :vala-new011:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. heisenberg

*closes* This makes me glad that Bryan singer isn't part of star trek.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. heisenberg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bluce Ree

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Joelist

As did I. The awful new Fab Four film made the Jessica Alba ones seem almost good by comparison.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. yongjin02

yongjin02 Well Known GateFan

interesting "un" trailer.

has Takei voicing over a tv spot for a fake show ""In the Footsteps of..." (a nice twist on Nimoy's "In Search of.." btw) En Sabuh Nur. Guess he is the villain in the new flick?

----------
    btw--in movie land, do the xmen and the avengers share the same "reality"?

15. shavedape

shavedape Well Known GateFan Staff Member

I'm not sure why it is but I can suspend my disbelief and go along for the ride with X-men but can't do the same for Fantastic Four. There's just too much of a cartoonish quality to FF that I don't like. I think it's because there is, to me, a seriousness about X-men that I don't get with FF. In fact, in FF they seem to approach things more tongue-in-cheek. I admit this assessment is wholly subjective on my part, but nonetheless, there it is.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Bluce Ree

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Joelist

I'm not feeling this new film. It has too much of the "SFX orgy" to it and not enough grounded-ness, which is what made the first two X-Men films work.

• Like Like x 1
  18. yongjin02

yongjin02 Well Known GateFan

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Bluce Ree

I suppose when movies start raking in 2+ billion dollars in revenue on average ticket sales.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Overmind One

A lot of the content in these new films is made for Chinese consumption. They LOVE shiny and explodey. Right now, they are in their version of our decadent 1980s. The only people you now see on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills are Chinese tourists. They take entire busloads to the Apple store, and there are special "Collections" malls on the way into both Palm Springs and Las Vegas. They are the ones keeping Gucci, Fendi, Neiman Marcus, Brooks Brothers etc etc...in business. The Chinese markets love this crap.

China banned Deadpool: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Deadpool-Has-Been-Banned-China-106557.html

The latest Star Wars film The Force Awakens did well in the United States, but not in China. https://www.inverse.com/article/10589-why-chinese-audiences-skipped-the-force-awakens

So, I think we will see lots of "compromised" entertainment coming out. I am done with theaters until they give me a good reason to spend almost $20.00 to see a movie and munch on $6.00 popcorn.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1