X-Files to be Rebooted?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Following the success of Fox’s 24 limited series, the network is looking to bring back another iconic drama series, The X-Files. Fox TV Group chairman Gary Newman today confirmed chatter that the network is in talks for a new installment of Chris Carter’s cult supernatural drama, which starred David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. Newman went on to say he was “hopeful” about the outcome.

I can't believe no one posted this...Not sure if this is what I want, but hey, at least it's better than getting another season of defecation
http://deadline.com/2015/01/x-files-reboot-talks-fox-1201352465/

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
No, it isn't. Reboots of TV shows that were already good already start with having to fill oversized shoes and have nowhere to go but down.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Let's try rebooting something different....like:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
X-Files to be rebooted? :daniel_new004:

rhino-poop-o.gif

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I'll put this here, instead of inside the other thread where we were talking about this reboot:

http://screenrant.com/x-files-tv-show-revival-david-duchovny
( Duchovny is in, but only if in mini-series mode. )
No word yet from Gillian Anderson, but she must be busy with "Hannibal" and her series "The Fallen". Chris Carter will kybosh the whole thing because he has all those other projects to do. Am I joshing?

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
Not so sure this is a good idea. Remaking this is likely to produce similar results to the failed 2008 reboot of "Knight Rider", and for the same reasons. KR (TOS) was about a loner, who went about his tasks with only a few people assisting him, and that assistance was generally from a distance. The reboot tried to change the character of the show by making it group-centric to fit the changed ideals of the era it was made in.

X-Files was also about loners, in this case, a pair of them. I would be concerned that they would try to remake X-Files into a group-centric show as well.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Not so sure this is a good idea. Remaking this is likely to produce similar results to the failed 2008 reboot of "Knight Rider", and for the same reasons. KR (TOS) was about a loner, who went about his tasks with only a few people assisting him, and that assistance was generally from a distance. The reboot tried to change the character of the show by making it group-centric to fit the changed ideals of the era it was made in.

X-Files was also about loners, in this case, a pair of them. I would be concerned that they would try to remake X-Files into a group-centric show as well.

As long as they include a teenage cyber genius that comes from a disadvantaged background, yet still retains a heart of gold underneath the thug façade and bad attitude, then I'm all for it. :encouragement:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I guess after all my reading, it looks like most are in. Now, do the old writers and producers jump on board? With 202 episodes there are tons of characters who they can reference.

More Lone Gunmen perhaps?

If they need a more active Reyes, I suspect that Rachel Nichols could fill the bill?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I guess after all my reading, it looks like most are in. Now, do the old writers and producers jump on board? With 202 episodes there are tons of characters who they can reference.

More Lone Gunmen perhaps?

If they need a more active Reyes, I suspect that Rachel Nichols could fill the bill?

NO! You just keep your typing little fingers away from my sweet Rachel! :anim_59: Im okay with Duchovny and Anderson, because X-Files does not need to have young actors in it at all. They could both go gray and I would still watch it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually there were two Knight Rider reboots.

The first was Knight Rider 2000:

This actually wasn't too bad, probably because it was a logical progression of the original show. The other show was the 2008 one which stunk.

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
I always considered KR2000 to be associated with the original, not a reboot.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

How about an NCIS: Los Angeles version of the X-Files? :hypnotysed:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Let's seriously break this down for a moment. The original show ran for years and one could even say it ran years longer than it should have. They explored tons of different story lines and the personal lives of the protagonists were examined almost ad nauseum. (In fact Mulder's loss of his sister was a defining feature of his story arc.) Then they did those movies and we got even more crazy story lines including shipping between Scully and Mulder.

Here's how I see it, unless they go back to the original style of episodic boogey man stories this "reboot" won't be successful. Of course they will have the seasonal story arcs but they have got to give us a "creature of the week" also. And no pointless shipping.

As it is I don't see this new show lasting any longer than the pre-ordained 2 season guarantee that the network will no doubt give it. (We all know that's how they do it nowadays.) And God help us if they recreate it with a younger cast. That's all we need, teen angst with an FBI badge. :rolleye0014:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
ALL shows should be "monster/mystery" of the week for AT LEAST the first season.
If the writers are good then you should have a overarching, but background seasonal arc to keep viewer interest and encourage "fandom"
Shipping and relationship heavy stories between mains should be kept to a absolute minimum in the early days because people tend to have not decided on exactly who they like and don't like and expecting people to care about it feels extremely forced and unnatural. By the same token, singe character driven stories with background exposition should also be kept to a minimum.
If people decide they like the characters, then such things should be explored in the tail end of S2 and onwards. If a series gets past S5, you can all but guarantee that people will be watching for the characters by that point, and the monster of the week episodes will tend to be fewer as the balance shifts more towards character exploration and seasonal arcs.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I suppose you could call KR2000 a sequel. What was interesting was that it was specifically designed as a bridge vehicle to launch a new show with a new cast. It got great ratings but fell victim to internal politics at NBC.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I would think they would put their all into this in the hope that they can gauge if another movie would be profitable for the bean counters at fox.

Sorry, my typing fingers won't quit. We need added characters in the hope that another movie will be made. How young are young? I take it that the average age of an F.B.I. agent would be in their early 30s.

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
I would think they would put their all into this in the hope that they can gauge if another movie would be profitable for the bean counters at fox.

Sorry, my typing fingers won't quit. We need added characters in the hope that another movie will be made. How young are young? I take it that the average age of an F.B.I. agent would be in their early 30s.
Too bad the average age leading characters these days seems to be about 20.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Actually there were two Knight Rider reboots.

The first was Knight Rider 2000:

This actually wasn't too bad, probably because it was a logical progression of the original show. The other show was the 2008 one which stunk.

I never understood the "cryonic suspension of criminals" angle. Wouldn't that effectively give the criminal a free pass to the future as time stands still for them, both physically and psychologically, until their release? Where's the punishment in that? People would be committing crimes just to get on that ride.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I never understood the "cryonic suspension of criminals" angle. Wouldn't that effectively give the criminal a free pass to the future as time stands still for them, both physically and psychologically, until their release? Where's the punishment in that? People would be committing crimes just to get on that ride.

Exactly. And Michael, Shawna and Braddock all called out that exact problem and questioned the wisdom of the cryo prison system.