WTH? I just got duped by "All-natural Almond Milk"? This should be illegal.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Conninlingus????
Only a gay man would-
A: Misspell that word
B: Make it sound like you would do to a submarine tower

:D :D :D

:anim_59:

Hey, I tried to look up the spelling on Google and went with what I found. I didn't exactly want to dwell on it if you know what I mean. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Homemade almond milk is the way to go if you drink it a lot. :) I have now made more than a gallon of it in quart sized batches. I have made Almond chocolate milk too. :) A note on that, dont make it as a batch. Make normal almond milk then add the cocoa powder and sweetener to it after pouring it into your glass. Also, each time you decide to serve it, shake it well. I have it in the glass carafe I showed you in this thread which I got from Amazon, so I can see the settling. I never noticed it in the carton, so I did not always shake it. The cocoa will settle out.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Homemade almond milk is the way to go if you drink it a lot. :) I have now made more than a gallon of it in quart sized batches. I have made Almond chocolate milk too. :) A note on that, dont make it as a batch. Make normal almond milk then add the cocoa powder and sweetener to it after pouring it into your glass. Also, each time you decide to serve it, shake it well. I have it in the glass carafe I showed you in this thread which I got from Amazon, so I can see the settling. I never noticed it in the carton, so I did not always shake it. The cocoa will settle out.

I wish I had the time and patience. I drink about 1/2 gallon of the stuff a day.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wish I had the time and patience. I drink about 1/2 gallon of the stuff a day.

Not even 10 minutes of work. :). Put 1 cup of raw almonds in water and soak them. I use a ziplock container like this:

Ziploc-Plastic-Containers_86766F83.jpg

You can get a whole package of 6 of these for about $5.00. Dump them in, run tap water until full. Close the lid and soak overnight (or at least 12 hours). After soaking, rinse them (1 minute). Dump them in your blender (10 seconds), add 1quart of filtered water, or a liter bottle of water, or a quart of Brita filtered water. (30 seconds). Blend for a minute. Pour mixture into nut milk bag held over a quart sized bowl or larger (I use a clean quart sized saucepan because it has a pour spout). Squeeze bag until all milk is out. You will have almond meal left in the bag which you can use if you know how to use it. I throw mine out. There you have it. A quart of pure almond milk. I have found that the nutty taste of the almond is neutralized by adding a 1/4tsp of pure vanilla extract and two packets of Splenda (or agave nectar which I have also tried). The result is a fresher tasting version of the store bought stuff, and a bit creamier.

almond milk.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You should invest in a hermetically sealed glass bottle like the one I got at Amazon:

51+PmneSg6L._SY450_.jpg

Real almond milk only lasts in its truly "fresh" state for about 7 days after making it. I never knew this before because when I started first buying it it was found on the store shelves and not in the refrigerated section. You needed to refrigerate it only after opening. And I would use it before 7 days, so that was not a problem. But after 7 days it will begin to have a funky smell, even though it technically does not "spoil" like milk does. Think of it as getting "stale" like any nuts will after a certain time.

The twist top of this glass carafe has a hermetic seal. It will extend the freshness longer and provide a spill proof bottle for the milk. This one in the picture (and the one I got) is 39oz and holds my quart nicely. Get it here: http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocc...id=1361173134&sr=8-7&keywords=hermetic+bottle There is a larger 68oz version, but then you would have twice as much milk and would have to double the recipe I have given. Plus you would ideally consume all of it within a week.

Bluce Ree

You should invest in a hermetically sealed glass bottle like the one I got at Amazon:

View attachment 27807

Real almond milk only lasts in its truly "fresh" state for about 7 days after making it. I never knew this before because when I started first buying it it was found on the store shelves and not in the refrigerated section. You needed to refrigerate it only after opening. And I would use it before 7 days, so that was not a problem. But after 7 days it will begin to have a funky smell, even though it technically does not "spoil" like milk does. Think of it as getting "stale" like any nuts will after a certain time.

The twist top of this glass carafe has a hermetic seal. It will extend the freshness longer and provide a spill proof bottle for the milk. This one in the picture (and the one I got) is 39oz and holds my quart nicely. Get it here: http://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Frigoverre-Hermetic-2-Liters/dp/B0000DE9B5/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1361173134&sr=8-7&keywords=hermetic bottle There is a larger 68oz version, but then you would have twice as much milk and would have to double the recipe I have given. Plus you would ideally consume all of it within a week.

I've got those. My problem is that I drink the stuff faster than I can make it. I'd have to be soaking jugs of the stuff. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've got those. My problem is that I drink the stuff faster than I can make it. I'd have to be soaking jugs of the stuff. :(

Start soaking the second batch after you make the first. Soak more than one batch and make a half gallon at a time. Lots of ways to do this!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Take another good look at the ingredients label on that store bought almond milk, and that might make you try it sooner than later. :) Once you have made it, you wont want to buy it again.

Bluce Ree

Take another good look at the ingredients label on that store bought almond milk, and that might make you try it sooner than later. :) Once you have made it, you wont want to buy it again.

That's a very good point I agree with but if, I tried to avoid all that stuff completely, I'd be growing my own food. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That's a very good point I agree with but if, I tried to avoid all that stuff completely, I'd be growing my own food. :(

#1. You're "Romney rich". Have the maid soak that shit for you. ;) :P

#2. The store bought shit has sugar and "flavoring" added to it in some form or other. That's nasty. Don't drink nasty bro.

Bluce Ree

#1. You're "Romney rich". Have the maid soak that shit for you. ;) :P

#2. The store bought shit has sugar and "flavoring" added to it in some form or other. That's nasty. Don't drink nasty bro.

#1 - I wish! :icon_lol:

#2 - Sugar is my kryptonite! I buy strictly unsweetened. The only issue with the store bought kind are the additives. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im now a year into making my own almond milk exclusively, and there are no regrets. :) There are so many tweaks you can do to get the perfect almond milk texture and taste, and you can ALMOST sub it out for all dairy milk. It does not make good lattes or shakes unless you add lots more things to it which defeats the reason for using it IMO. In a smoothie, however, bananas and mangoes help thicken up the texture. Adding creamier nuts along with the almonds makes for a nuttier, creamier texture...like cashews or macadamia nuts.

Its fun!

BTW, this makes an absolutely AWESOME chocolate almond milk if you use unsweetened cocoa and Splenda or stevia (Splenda is better :)).

EXPERIENCE NOTES:

Most instructions for making almond milk insist that you soak the almonds at least 12 hours to 24 hours before blending. I have found that putting 1 cup of almonds (enough to make a quart) in a bowl and then pouring boiling water over them (enough to cover them double the level of the nuts) and leaving them soaking for about 40 minutes prepares them perfectly for blending. This takes at least 12 hours off of the recipe!

The almond pulp makes EXCELLENT flour. After squeezing, take the almond meal and spread it over a cookie sheet. Bake at lowest setting (about 170F) until dry. After drying, run it through the blender to make it a bit finer and then you can use it in baking or "breading". :)

almonds.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not trying to start anything.

"Milk" comes from Mammals, shouldn't this be called Almond Juice?

Milk is used in the figurative description of coconut juice, almond juice and other white creamy liquids made with artificial ingredients containing no dairy. :) Nut juices are typically called "milk".

Bluce Ree

Milk is used in the figurative description of coconut juice, almond juice and other white creamy liquids made with artificial ingredients containing no dairy. :) Nut juices are typically called "milk".

Nut, milk, white creamy liquids. What's with all the innuendo in this thread?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

^ THIS. See? If you are making your own meals instead of eating crap thrown together to feed masses of people, you are NEVER going to "accidentally" mix your orange juice into your milk, you will not run a risk of contaminating your foods during a mechanical canning process or packaging process, and you know exactly what is in it. I dont even go to In N Out anymore because in December when I went last, I was in the line and you can see the entire kitchen because there is a full length glass window. One of the fry cooks sneezed, and I saw him wipe the back of his gloved hand across his nose and go right back to work. Needless to say, I canceled my order and requested a refund (yep, Im one of those).

Is fast food and pre-packaged food really all that? People say it is so convenient. I say it is RISKY.

Last edited: