Wow...7 years...

Discussion in 'Announcements & Introductions' started by heisenberg, Feb 8, 2017.

1. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

I can't believe it's been 7 years since we had SGUsucks forums and then in 2011? had this forum.

Time flies doesn't it?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Joelist

Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

Yep! Been a fun journey.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

It's AMAZING and good that we have been in the same cyberspace for such a long time, and it hurts when people leave (hint hint) :) Although, the political threads here seem to be an issue. I am SERIOUSLY thinking of breaking all of them, including Flame Hell, into a new political website. Polarizing issues on a political site are the order of the day, and things change very quickly. I know, I ran one for longer than 7 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joelist

That would be a good idea. Really all the RSP stuff does here is lead to Gatefans losing its focus :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. heisenberg

Yeah, that was heat in the moment and I got angry at my boss and fellow associates for their hypocrisy that day. I vented out my frustration out on the wrong person. I am going to be around, don't worry. I think it's best to move the Politics/FH stuff offsite where we can discuss it with a different alias too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Overmind One

I agree. A completely different website. The net result will mean no politics (outside of that portrayed in shows like The Expanse, Stargate, Star Trek, etc etc (whatever is out). RL politics is too much of a hot button topic here.

BTW, you can vent all you want, we are all friends here. :) Like you said, 7 years. That is longer than I have had my cats, long enough for somebody to get a college degree plus graduate school and a year internship!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Joelist

I would go so far as to ask anyone here who also goes there not to use the same username. Make it totally separate.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Overmind One

Agree. Look what it did to Scifi-Nexus, starting with making all of us the adversary. I do not want to have a karmic debt by making this place political. I think that after 10 years of running a 100% political website before getting involved with SGUS, I just got used to being able to express myself (and listen to others) politically. It did, however, have LOTS more members and more traffic. But it also gained a rather unsavory reputation in far left liberal circles. It was head to head with Little Green Footballs, Democratic Underground and Free Republic. I don't miss it. Things could get hot.

9. Overmind One

Yes, and no crosstalk between sites.

10. heisenberg

I'll post more about it in FH section about the politics I have to deal with at work.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

Not that my opinion should matter much in this regard, but I think it's a really good idea to no longer post political (or religious for that matter) stuff here. I was actually thinking about that yesterday when I read part of the first page of the illigal immigrants thread. I simply couldn't read any further. I'm quite sure that that sort of stuff is extremely offputting to visitors who might have otherwise perhaps been interested in the topics here. Or perhaps they can't see them because they're in a section they don't have access to. In any case, the topics seem very out of place for a forum for science fiction fans.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Joelist

Yes, let's dump the RSP stuff. All it does is polarize and make it difficult to build and keep a sense of community.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gate_Boarder

Gate_Boarder Well Known GateFan

Even though there is no reason for me to contribute, let's go with the tradition of using different monikers on different sites.

After reading stuff on a competing place I would hope that the only restriction you have is the ability to not share with us posts that end up being 10,000 characters in length. Especially if they continually espouse how great their intellectual and moral properties are.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Overmind One

It will be on the same Xenforo software, but will look and be run differently from here. It will not be competing, it will be a political website with it's own domain, and people interested in going there will have to register (or log in with Google, Facebook or Twitter.

Once the new site is established, I will seed it with the political posts from here, and those posts will disappear from GateFans. Flame Hell will also go away, and a new NSFW section will open here but will ONLY be entertainment industry related.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Joelist

I like the plan. It makes it easier to keep GateFans focused.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Overmind One

Yes, but it is not going to be easy to do. :( I have to find a way to export just the posts selected, put them in a new database and then import them into a fresh install of Xenforo, whilst dumping the users and tags. Then, this place will have to be re-indexed, and sections renamed/moved/closed.

17. Joelist

What about copying the posts? It's a lot of manual work but may ultimately be easier.

18. Overmind One

Not really. Not if comments are to be preserved.

19. Overmind One

I am starting work on this now. It will take some time, but the first steps have been taken.