Workaholics

heisenberg

Earl Grey

These people are putting themselves on the brink of mental chaos. This level of insanity as I like to call it, will wear them out quicker and well they'll hurt others along the way. I have seen plenty of millennial idiots who have become addicted to work and a routine that they can't break out of. They are no different than crack addicts who can't go out and enjoy life once in a while.
I used to follow a so called routine, and it wore me out that I had to breakout of. I am sorry I know that work requires us to follow a routine, but we are animals but we are not robots. Sleep deprivation is taxing on the body.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You don't have to be. ;)
Extremely difficult and extremely risky but you are right.
All this work I see just brings me sadness and doesn't bring anyone happiness, including their customers or who they are serving. I mean, you stare at a computer screen all day away from the people that care about you the most...I don't know but it seems that these people hide behind a fake smile. How is that being human? You know by doing that you start to become anti social yourself.

Extremely difficult and extremely risky but you are right.
All this work I see just brings me sadness and doesn't bring anyone happiness, including their customers or who they are serving. I mean, you stare at a computer screen all day away from the people that care about you the most...I don't know but it seems that these people hide behind a fake smile. How is that being human? You know by doing that you start to become anti social yourself.

Look, unless you're wealthy you're gonna have to work. You can either play the "upward mobility" game and be a millennial drone or you can focus on learning a trade/skill that you can do at will, like plumbing, electrician, etc. Yes, the trades are physical but they are also understaffed and are in demand. I'm sure OZ needs tradesmen who know what they're doing. So basically you can either be a millennial wonk or you can learn a trade where you provide services to all those millennial wonks.

Autonomy has its perks, most importantly the ability to choose not to interact with the game players out in the "real world". Something to think about.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Look, unless you're wealthy you're gonna have to work. You can either play the "upward mobility" game and be a millennial drone or you can focus on learning a trade/skill that you can do at will, like plumbing, electrician, etc. Yes, the trades are physical but they are also understaffed and are in demand. I'm sure OZ needs tradesmen who know what they're doing. So basically you can either be a millennial wonk or you can learn a trade where you provide services to all those millennial wonks.

Autonomy has its perks, most importantly the ability to choose not to interact with the game players out in the "real world". Something to think about.

I have been living by a credo since about 2014 that I call JEP (Justify Every Purchase). It requires without exception that I mentally "approve" of every purchase I make, based upon my need or desire for it. More than 50% of the time, I am able to see that I really do not need to buy whatever it was I was going to buy. Things I do need to buy, I tell Google to put it on my shopping list (including tasks I need to finish). Things not on that list require JEP.

Having said that, if you do decide to "wing it", then you will have to change lots of stuff you currently do not think about. Invisible costs that you have been spending without thinking, subscriptions to stuff, medications you take (but don't really need), services, etc etc etc. Then again, everyone is different and I can only speak for myself. I have rolled back to a minimalist behavior, but I still manage to have every luxury I want. Sorta like having a single glass of the best wine instead of a gallon of the worst. :)

I have been living by a credo since about 2014 that I call JEP (Justify Every Purchase). It requires without exception that I mentally "approve" of every purchase I make, based upon my need or desire for it. More than 50% of the time, I am able to see that I really do not need to buy whatever it was I was going to buy. Things I do need to buy, I tell Google to put it on my shopping list (including tasks I need to finish). Things not on that list require JEP.

Having said that, if you do decide to "wing it", then you will have to change lots of stuff you currently do not think about. Invisible costs that you have been spending without thinking, subscriptions to stuff, medications you take (but don't really need), services, etc etc etc. Then again, everyone is different and I can only speak for myself. I have rolled back to a minimalist behavior, but I still manage to have every luxury I want. Sorta like having a single glass of the best wine instead of a gallon of the worst. :)

Yeah, I do the exact same thing including having a minimalist approach to material possessions. It has made life so much easier and it leaves more money in my pocket at the end of the day. And like you I don't have to skimp on the luxuries of life either.

It's not about how much money you make, it's about changing your mindset when it comes to spending that money. And when you go minimalist you learn that it has nothing to do with being a cheapskate. It's about detaching from the materialistic western mindset you were stuck in and reclaiming your autonomy.

*I could go off on a tangent about minimalism verses materialism but I will restrain myself. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, I do the exact same thing including having a minimalist approach to material possessions. It has made life so much easier and it leaves more money in my pocket at the end of the day. And like you I don't have to skimp on the luxuries of life either.

It's not about how much money you make, it's about changing your mindset when it comes to spending that money. And when you go minimalist you learn that it has nothing to do with being a cheapskate. It's about detaching from the materialistic western mindset you were stuck in and reclaiming your autonomy.

*I could go off on a tangent about minimalism verses materialism but I will restrain myself. :icon_lol:

Lets do that! I love living minimalist luxury! It's incredible how much money is saved when you realize that more than half of what you spend your money on is pointless and/or useless. I am more proud of myself for having LESS than I had when I was living large on the beach of the Pacific Ocean. It is not necessarily because I am making less money (but that was a factor), it's the conscious choice to pull away from the tendrils that were forcing me to be a consumer of goods and services that I do not need. I have more money in my pocket now than I ever did then. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Yeah, it's because we have accumulated so much junk without really thinking about it. I really think less is more but we get caught up in our quest to want everything because we all are greedy and needy people. It's a flaw we all have. Plus, social media, another nasty piece of work.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, it's because we have accumulated so much junk without really thinking about it. I really think less is more but we get caught up in our quest to want everything because we all are greedy and needy people. It's a flaw we all have. Plus, social media, another nasty piece of work.

Well...no, I do not think we are all greedy and needy at all. Some of us are, but most of us are not. It is unnatural to be greedy. Greedy people I have met seem to have been raised poor and without things as children, and have an obsession to acquire things and amass wealth because they did not grow up with much. The children of the wealthy and well-off seem to be the givers and the compassionate, and perhaps the least appreciative of the wealth which afforded their upbringing. Being needy is similar, but it usually comes from a lack of attention or love as a child. Both the need to amass excessive wealth and the approval or attention seeking behaviors of the super rich come from an emotional and material deficit experienced in early life.

Well...no, I do not think we are all greedy and needy at all. Some of us are, but most of us are not. It is unnatural to be greedy. Greedy people I have met seem to have been raised poor and without things as children, and have an obsession to acquire things and amass wealth because they did not grow up with much. The children of the wealthy and well-off seem to be the givers and the compassionate, and perhaps the least appreciative of the wealth which afforded their upbringing. Being needy is similar, but it usually comes from a lack of attention or love as a child. Both the need to amass excessive wealth and the approval or attention seeking behaviors of the super rich come from an emotional and material deficit experienced in early life.

I've encountered enough hoarders and pack rats in my life that it has given me a whole different perspective on materialism. I don't throw out the term "mental illness" lightly but there is definitely some sort of neurosis going on with people like that. There's a theory that hoarders develop an emotional attachment to junk due to abandonment issues. In their minds their possessions can't ever leave them. It's very sad.

If you've ever had to deal with someone who hoards and/or is a pack rat it's daunting. They refuse to part with the smallest of junk. And the worst thing are the old ones who pass away and leave the mess for their families to deal with. (I helped clean out a storage shed that belonged to someone who hoarded last year. It took 3 days and a full garbage dumpster. A big one, not one of those small grocery store size ones but the long ones you see at construction sites. That's how much crap this guy had jammed into this little shed. And it was all junk, literal junk. We didn't keep any of it. Nothing but rotting old boards and rat turds. Seriously, I had to wear a face mask so I didn't breathe in the rat feces. Disgusting!)

As for materialism in general, I know people who buy shit non-stop but never use it. They will see something on sale and decide they have to have it. Then they bring it home and shove it in a corner and never use it. 3 sets of fine china when you don't cook and never entertain? Why certainly! It's on sale! Buy buy buy!

Don't even get me going about the over-stuffed closets I've seen and the packed drawers I've encountered. It's madness!