Windows 8, 8.1 have failed. Microsoft to dump them for Windows 9

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, now it's official. Windows 8 has failed, and so has Windows 8.1. The new OS had miserable numbers from the start, and Microsoft was hoping that after some time with the Beta, then with heavily discounted upgrades, that Windows 8 would find a home. But it has failed. Windows 7 is experiencing growth as Windows 8's original market share spike (sales of new computers with it installed already) actually fell below that from people downgrading. It cannot be saved now, and has a dismal global market share of less than 10%, whilst Windows 7 has 51% and XP has the rest.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

http://www.news.com.au/technology/g...elease-windows-9/story-fnjwukfu-1226801625812

Code name for the new OS is "threshold", but will be called Windows 9 when released. It will restore the actual complete Start menu to Windows (without needing Classic Shell or Start8), and it will allow you to run Metro apps alongside desktop apps on the desktop. Users will also be able to boot directly to the desktop. But the foundation will still be Windows 8.

Microsoft can track software installed on their computers, and they know people are installing Classic Shell and Start 8.

Threshold is more important than any specific updates. Windows 8 is tanking harder than Microsoft is comfortable discussing in public, and the latest release, Windows 8.1, which is a substantial and free upgrade with major improvements over the original release, is in use on less than 25 million PCs at the moment. That's a disaster, and Threshold needs to strike a better balance between meeting the needs of over a billion traditional PC users while enticing users to adopt this new Windows on new types of personal computing devices. In short, it needs to be everything that Windows 8 is not.

Here's what I've learned about Threshold.

Windows 9. To distance itself from the Windows 8 debacle, Microsoft is currently planning to drop the Windows 8 name and brand this next release as Windows 9. That could change, but that's the current thinking.

Windows 8/8.1 users will likely get this as an update for free, and technically this is more like a Service Pack than a new operating system. I think they need to name it Windows 8 SP1.

I dont hate Windows 8 because I have Start8 installed and it does not act or feel like Windows 8 out of the box. But I am a geek and know what to do to make it tolerable. But 90% of the users of Windows 8 are in a productivity nightmare with this twitchy, schizophrenic OS. But it is very fast...much faster than Windows 7.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
They shouldn't have catered to hipster fad. Can't install start8 on large volume settings like schools and whatnot cause they purge data when you log off restoring back to a certain point. Just a hassle to even request it be installed. I hate it so much.

I have to learn Linux now though for a project, and cause a lot of programs are free on Linux OS. Argh, I don't even plan on getting into an applied field.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Screw that stupid tablet-on-a-PC interface. I hope they learned their lesson.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Screw that stupid tablet-on-a-PC interface. I hope they learned their lesson.

Yes, it has been VERY costly for Microsoft. They had a whole plan built on the assumption that Windows 8 would be a runaway hit. They assumed that aiming for the mobile/tablet/phone market and dissing the bread and butter (the enterprise) was going to feed the profit gods and they were dead wrong. Ballmer's head is not the only one that is rolling away from Microsoft...Im hearing some of his "yes men" are being booted as well. Ballmer is not being fired, per se...he is being "encouraged" to leave by shareholders. This is the official story line:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/15/in...mer-wasnt-fired-but-his-exit-was-accelerated/

Not surprisingly, Ballmer was also responsible for Vista which lost a bundle as well. But Windows 7 has made lots of progress but it by no means offsets the losses. Windows XP belongs to pre-Ballmer Microsoft and they are not making money on that.

Last edited: