Why Z Nation is better than The Walking Dead

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I knew it would be a cliffhanger as soon as they mentioned the nuclear bomb thing. It wasn't a bad cliffhanger but I would have liked to have been given a glimpse of Murphy at the end. And I am not a fan of the bad guy getting away. That's just lame. But they did show the others still being alive.

Over all it was a good run for a SyFy show. :encouragement:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This has been strange....we just watched AND ENJOYED a whole season of a show on SyFy? When did that happen last?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This is a real doozy of a cliffhanger. They ended the episode with missiles just a few thousand feet from the ground on a downward trajectory. That's kind of like watching the main character of a show take a plunge off the Empire State Building then freezing the episode when he's 5 feet from the ground with the caption underneath, "Tune in next week to see what happens."

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This has been strange....we just watched AND ENJOYED a whole season of a show on SyFy? When did that happen last?

I can't remember, it's been a while. This show is a cheesy, low budget production with a great story, great writing, great characters, no filler episodes and they managed to keep the pace going on a show about zombies without tiring out the premise.

And on TWD ... :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wonder how much they will change things when Season 2 comes out? I'm sure they will add characters and/or get rid of others. As it is I hope they manage to keep it fast paced and interesting.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I can't remember, it's been a while. This show is a cheesy, low budget production with a great story, great writing, great characters, no filler episodes and they managed to keep the pace going on a show about zombies without tiring out the premise.

And on TWD ... :(
Amazing what realistic expectations can do for you :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Could be.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
...I mean, it's SyFy so I'm just happy to get a show that's actually worth watching from them now...

I am really enjoying The Almighty Johnsons on Wednesday and Thursday nights at 11 pm even though it is an old New Zealand show.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
How did Murphys bite cure the systemic infection in Cassandra's leg wound, and give her super powers?

Yeah, that part I didn't understand. Did she die but he somehow made her a sentient zombie?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I think Murphy bit her earlier in the episode and it seems it made her like him. Remember we saw him starting to display heightened strength and such too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season 2 ads starting to appear. Seems it premieres early September.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Season 2 ads starting to appear. Seems it premieres early September.

Came here to post this but you beat me to it. :encouragement:

Season 2 starts September 11th. (Not sure how I'm liking the Murphy thing, after all, they left his character having undergone some sort of metamorphosis yet the ads are showing him pretty much how he was, albeit a tad more zombie-fied.)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Season 2 premiere this Friday night. It will be interesting to see the changes that they have made. (Was the guy on the right in this pic in the first season? I don't recall him.)

ZNation_hero_s201.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Season 2 premiere this Friday night. It will be interesting to see the changes that they have made. (Was the guy on the right in this pic in the first season? I don't recall him.)

ZNation_hero_s201.jpg

His name is Toke Kenn. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Except that the group leader is the same. So another plus for this show....no Tokens.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Except that the group leader is the same. So another plus for this show....no Tokens.

I couldnt resist! I have not seen this show but I plan to. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's a fun show! True it is CHEAP and some of the humor is groan inducing but the pace, characters and overall writing make it entertaining.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The season 2 premiere was fairly good. I still find the Citizen Z story line to be a bit disconcerting as it doesn't seem to jibe with the other part of the story. It almost feels like the writers don't know where they are going with CZ. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy, but I feel like he should be more connected to the rest of the story other than just being an eye in the sky so to speak.

At any rate, the show is doing a good job of keeping up the humor aspect. Murphy, while sociopathic-ally evil, is quite funny at times. But so is Doc in an old hippy kind of way so they balance each other out in a weird way.

The Addy female encampment story line was wrapped up a bit too easily but no matter, her and Mack don't really interest me to be honest. It will be interesting to see what happens with Murphy's dalliance from the female camp in season 1. Clearly they are going to explore that story.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep, good episode.

It seems like Cassandra is sort of Murphy's cohort now. How sentient is she is open to debate. They also had a good sequence with the leader almost dying and finding that family. And yes the sociopathic evil of Murphy is entertaining the way they are playing it. His little speech about how it might be better to be a zombie worked well too. And credit has to be given to Keith Allan who plays Murphy - he hits all the right notes in his portrayal.

Oh, and I liked the spoof at the start on the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull "nuking the fridge" meme. And yes it looks like Murphy's dalliance at the women's colony is going to come home to roost.