Why the Star Trek (2009) movie sucked worse than SGU

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
I disagree and find it a little insulting to our intelligence.
Intelligent people are hoodwinked all the time. I made no reference to anyone's intelligence, just that it's a horrible movie with trickery and misdirection implanted throughout.

Okay, I can give you that, If your a Trekkie, your just a plain old disgruntled customer.
That's both incredibly dismissive and insulting, given that I spent a great deal of time listing specific issues I had with the movie.

Take a look at this board for one. What do they say about forums being a representation of a percentage of the public opinion. Majority here likes the movie. And if that is not good enough take a look at this link to Rotten Tomatoes that shows both critical and audience ratings of over 90%.
Huffington Post review:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-mendelson/huff-post-review---star-t_b_200098.html

100 Reasons why Terk'09 Sucks:
http://startrekxisucks.blogspot.com/2009/06/why-jjabrams-star-trek-was-terrible.html

Good SFX, Bad Everything Else:
http://startrekxisucks.blogspot.com/2009/06/why-jjabrams-star-trek-was-terrible.html

Roger Ebert gives Trek'09 only 2.5 / 4
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090506/REVIEWS/905069997

Your subjective opinions came from the fact that you dedicated two paragraphs to your extreme dislike of "Abrams" and almost everything he has ever done and the way he does them.
So, of my subjective views on Abrams, what specifically do you disagree with?

The audience is not as stupid as you seem to give them credit for. (...) If he had been bad in the role, the fans would have said so. I also respect Leonard Nimoy because he created the portrayal of Spock. And Quinto's take had to be different once again because he was supposed to have been brought up in a totally different timeline.
Quinto vs. Nimoy: http://www.filmcritic.com/features/2009/05/star-trek-spock-actors-poll/

Absolutely, different actors give characters their own unique portrayals, but at the end of the day the character of Spock is still Vulcan and there are specific qualities that define being a Vulcan. This is not Quinto's fault per se, but rather the awful script that he was given to work with.

In order to reboot the franchise they needed to alter the canon. Maybe you a Purist when it comes to these things. But as I stated before....someday the temporal cops could be brought back and restore canon before the real end.
Honestly, I don't care as much about "inviolate" canon as I do about good writing, good direction, and good cinematography. Canon-wiping is really far less important than telling a good story that makes sense and has internal consistency. Truthfully, I'm not sure it was necessary to wipe canon in order to reboot the franchise. They could've gone with any number of stories that didn't, but they went with this ridiculous red matter and imploding planets junk for shock value.

But even if the argument that "canon needed a wipe" were true and one buys it wholeheartedly, even if you're fine with living in an alternate universe for a while with these characters, the overall writing, direction, and cinematography that got us to this alternate universe were all awful.

Most roller coasters have lots of belll's and whistles to them nowadays, years ago they did not. Perhaps you are the kind that prefers the old fashioned wooden board up and down kind. Most people today prefer the ones with all the bells and whistles....distractions and all.
"Roller coaster" is an excellent description of this movie. When has Trek previously ever been a roller coaster of any kind, though? Did Roddenberry intend for Trek to be a roller coaster, or did he intend for it to be something else?

These days, "rebooting" and "re-imagining" often mean gutting the previous franchise and flipping core themes in a 180. Was that the right decision for Trek, such that you love these new characters for who and what they are, for their values and their humanity? Or was it just a cool roller-coaster?

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Wow I'd forgotten Ebert didn't like it (I do respect his reviews a great deal). What I really forgot though was that he said that Star Trek 2009 wasn't really sci-fi, it was a space opera.

I thought about these things during “Star Trek” because I could not help myself. I understand the Star Trek science has never been intended as plausible. I understand this is not science fiction but an Ark movie using a starship. I understand that the character types are as familiar as your favorite slippers. But the franchise has become much of a muchness. The new movie essentially intends to reboot the franchise with younger characters and carry on as before. The movie deals with narrative housekeeping. Perhaps the next one will engage these characters in a more challenging and devious story, one more about testing their personalities than re-establishing them. In the meantime, you want space opera, you got it.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090506/REVIEWS/905069997

This is from a man who has been studying sci-fi critically longer than any of us. I think it very much needs to be a part of the discussions we have had here as it touches on many of the issues we mention everyday.

Although i will point out he thinks the movie is pretty good overall, just that it sets up the reboot more than goes for it 100%.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Wow I'd forgotten Ebert didn't like it (I do respect his reviews a great deal). What I really forgot though was that he said that Star Trek 2009 wasn't really sci-fi, it was a space opera.

This is from a man who has been studying sci-fi critically longer than any of us. I think it very much needs to be a part of the discussions we have had here as it touches on many of the issues we mention everyday.

Although i will point out he thinks the movie is pretty good overall, just that it sets up the reboot more than goes for it 100%.
And I think he was dead on the money on that one! That's the one thing that bothered me the most about the movie, and it's no accident when one reads that JJ knew very little of Star Trek coming into the movie but was a huge Star Wars fan.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, I liked ST09 a lot, but have literally zero respect for Roger Ebert or his reviews. He was okay a while ago when he had Gene Siskel around to keep his worse impulses in check but since then it has been pretty awful.

G

Graybrew1

Intelligent people are hoodwinked all the time. I made no reference to anyone's intelligence, just that it's a horrible movie with trickery and misdirection implanted throughout.
I don't feel hoodwinked at all. Nor misdirected. I liked the movie.

That's both incredibly dismissive and insulting, given that I spent a great deal of time listing specific issues I had with the movie.

It was a correction to the original analogy made from the original point about Coke and Pepsi.
It was no more intended as an insult that your assuming the audience would only like Quinto's portrayal of Spock because of Heroe's or that we were tricked into liking a bad movie.

Huffington Post review:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-mendelson/huff-post-review---star-t_b_200098.html

100 Reasons why Terk'09 Sucks:

Good SFX, Bad Everything Else:

Roger Ebert gives Trek'09 only 2.5 / 4

Well, I could go back to the computer and pull up many more links to, so why don't I just say that maybe not all but many ST fans loved the movie?

So, of my subjective views on Abrams, what specifically do you disagree with?

I loved Alias, Fringe started off good, I liked Lost, except the ending, Heck I even liked Armageddon... I have no problem with most of his work. You said yourself you did not like his work.

Quinto vs. Nimoy: http://www.filmcritic.com/features/2009/05/star-trek-spock-actors-poll/

Absolutely, different actors give characters their own unique portrayals, but at the end of the day the character of Spock is still Vulcan and there are specific qualities that define being a Vulcan. This is not Quinto's fault per se, but rather the awful script that he was given to work with.

I thought he did a great job of portraying the half Vulcan that he was supposed to be in the Alt timeline.

But even if the argument that "canon needed a wipe" were true and one buys it wholeheartedly, even if you're fine with living in an alternate universe for a while with these characters, the overall writing, direction, and cinematography that got us to this alternate universe were all awful

I really think there are a million ways to try to reboot a franchise and this one worked. It is rebooted, next movie is on it's way and then who knows. I believe the canon wipe was a good idea, because Nemesis was so bad. And in this genre completely reversible. The writing was not perfect, but the movie was extremely entertaining. It made sense. The Timeline got changed. Were they some flaws? Sure. Every movie has some. I thought the exploding planet made perfect sense since that was the reason the main villian wanted to destroy Vulcan. What plot points would you have used?

"Roller coaster" is an excellent description of this movie. When has Trek previously ever been a roller coaster of any kind, though? Did Roddenberry intend for Trek to be a roller coaster, or did he intend for it to be something else?

Roddenberry and Berman had their times. Now it is time for Abrams. Perhaps in the future another director will come around and give us something closer to Roddenberry, but that brings us back to those retro wooden boards.

These days, "rebooting" and "re-imagining" often mean gutting the previous franchise and flipping core themes in a 180. Was that the right decision for Trek, such that you love these new characters for who and what they are, for their values and their humanity? Or was it just a cool roller-coaster?

I like the new character nuisances to the old tried and true crew. I am looking forward to see where they take them next time. It was only the first of hopefully many more to come when we might get an answer to more of these questions.

But for me, Heck Yeah! It was indeed a great ride.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Terran, thanks for writing another great essay! However, this time I strongly disagree with it on content. As a matter of fact, I had my problems with the movie as well, but not the same complaints as you.

This is why I suspected you a fan of TNG and I'll pick just this one point (bolded above) for now:
I do love the new characters, and who and what they are play a big role in it! They do share my values in some ways in that they have their principles but are kick-ass pragmatists when it comes to getting the job done - like original Kirk, Spock and Janeway. I hate characters who fancy themselves on the higher moral ground, get preachy on everybody else and judge and impose their morality ("values and humanity") on every alien culture they run into, like Picard. Probably because I don't enjoy people like that in real life as well. That's exactly the kind of thing I wouldn't want to see in a movie that's supposed to reboot the franchise.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Terran, thanks for writing another great essay! However, this time I strongly disagree with it on content. As a matter of fact, I had my problems with the movie as well, but not the same complaints as you.
That's fine, it's just a movie review. :)

This is why I suspected you a fan of TNG and I'll pick just this one point (bolded above) for now:
TNG was okay, it wasn't the best of Trek IMO. I'd consider myself a "fan" of Original Trek, then Voyager. I liked TNG and early DS9, but "fan" might be too strong. ;)

I do love the new characters, and who and what they are play a big role in it! They do share my values in some ways in that they have their principles but are kick-ass pragmatists when it comes to getting the job done - like original Kirk, Spock and Janeway. I hate characters who fancy themselves on the higher moral ground, get preachy on everybody else and judge and impose their morality ("values and humanity") on every alien culture they run into, like Picard. Probably because I don't enjoy people like that in real life as well. That's exactly the kind of thing I wouldn't want to see in a movie that's supposed to reboot the franchise.
Honestly, I have a similar feeling about Picard. Not only is he often preachy, he's just too unrealistic as the "educated noble" captain who needs to defend every viewpoint.

Just as another point, people may think I dislike the latter half of DS9 for reasons I don't. I didn't like the latter half of DS9 because it went way, way too far into turning Sisko into Bajor's version of Jesus, complete with an angels-vs-demons fight at the end (i.e. the prophets vs the anti-prophets). I'm not at all fond of Ron Moore, but I didn't have as big of an issue with a darker humanity as I did with how they treated the prophets-storyline.

That said, while I loved Kirk (and Janeway) for their fists -and- brains, the Trek'09 movie didn't show me that Trek. It just didn't work in that way for me, at all; it was "fists only!"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's the thing. The ST09 reboot did not flip the core themes or gut the franchise.

If anything, by stripping Trek down to its essential core themes (underlying optimism, hope, people rising to the occasion) the reboot is allowing those things that made Trek good in the first place to shine once more. They had gotten lost in a canon that by the time of the horrific Nemesis was Byzantine to the point where it was hard to write a good story without transgressing it. Trek had also gotten overly moody, dark and pretentious. Orci and Abrams reset plan was a genius stroke - the old canon is preserved but in the alternate timeline we can now once again "Boldly go where no man (one) has gone before".

Along those lines, Kirk and Spock were both well written and well played. Remember these are not the Kirk and Spock we see in TOS that have been friends for awhile. There are just meeting. And in Kirk's case he is a bit more rebellious in large part due to Nero interfering with his past. However, they grow to respect each other and ultimately work as a team to stop Nero. Spock also hits all the right notes - you get to see the undercurrents of strong emotion in him that were also developed in TOS (Amok Time for one) and the movies but also the Vulcan logic and outer calm. The relationship with Uhura provided a nice parallel with his father - like him Spock is attracted to a human for a potential mate. Also well utilized here was Leonard Nimoy, both to provide exposition about Nero's backstory and also to give the altered history timeline a little "shove" (both when he tells Kirk how to emotionally compomise him and at the end when he advises his younger self to remain in Starfleet). BTW, Nimoy also had signoff authority over both the casting for Spock and the writing of the character.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
That's the thing. The ST09 reboot did not flip the core themes or gut the franchise.

If anything, by stripping Trek down to its essential core themes (underlying optimism, hope, people rising to the occasion) the reboot is allowing those things that made Trek good in the first place to shine once more. They had gotten lost in a canon that by the time of the horrific Nemesis was Byzantine to the point where it was hard to write a good story without transgressing it. Trek had also gotten overly moody, dark and pretentious. Orci and Abrams reset plan was a genius stroke - the old canon is preserved but in the alternate timeline we can now once again "Boldly go where no man (one) has gone before".

Along those lines, Kirk and Spock were both well written and well played. Remember these are not the Kirk and Spock we see in TOS that have been friends for awhile. There are just meeting. And in Kirk's case he is a bit more rebellious in large part due to Nero interfering with his past. However, they grow to respect each other and ultimately work as a team to stop Nero. Spock also hits all the right notes - you get to see the undercurrents of strong emotion in him that were also developed in TOS (Amok Time for one) and the movies but also the Vulcan logic and outer calm. The relationship with Uhura provided a nice parallel with his father - like him Spock is attracted to a human for a potential mate. Also well utilized here was Leonard Nimoy, both to provide exposition about Nero's backstory and also to give the altered history timeline a little "shove" (both when he tells Kirk how to emotionally compomise him and at the end when he advises his younger self to remain in Starfleet). BTW, Nimoy also had signoff authority over both the casting for Spock and the writing of the character.
I remember reading Nimoy screened the script or first cut and gave his OK (with a few suggestions).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I remember reading Nimoy screened the script or first cut and gave his OK (with a few suggestions).

He did both (read script and signoff with suggested changes and view dirsft cut in same manner). He also had the final say on casting for the role of Spock.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
And I think he was dead on the money on that one! That's the one thing that bothered me the most about the movie, and it's no accident when one reads that JJ knew very little of Star Trek coming into the movie but was a huge Star Wars fan.

It's funny you mention that because on the DVD extras they actually say they approached it from a Star Wars perspective. It's been awhile so I don't recall all the details of what they said, but I do remember the Star Wars thing.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, I liked ST09 a lot, but have literally zero respect for Roger Ebert or his reviews. He was okay a while ago when he had Gene Siskel around to keep his worse impulses in check but since then it has been pretty awful.

That's probably why he had Gene Siskel killed by that gang of trained, knife-wielding Howler monkeys. "Heart attack" -- bah! :roll:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I think Nimoy did a great job this time around. I loved how he seemed almost happy at times. His admonition to his younger self regarding the value of a friendship with Kirk was very moving.

I never liked how it was always just a given that Vulcans were so stoic and emotionless. It was great to see Spock's struggle to control himself from early on. And later when his dad tells him he married his human mother because he loved her it basically said that Vulcans weren't heartless bastards with no emotion at all. I didn't see that as "soap-fi" but rather as damn good story telling.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just LOL! Im glad you took the time to write it, so I did the same with my rebuttal.

That's right, Star Trek 2009 sucked. It was an absolutely terrible movie, and everyone who thinks that it was great is actually wrong. How so, you ask? How can a movie that made millions be terrible? Trickery and manipulation, that's how. Put your feet up, grab a snack, and I'll explain how millions of people have been sold a bill of goods by a con artist.

First, I should make it quite clear that I don't think any Star Trek is an exceptionally brilliant masterpiece of writing. Many of the Trek series and movies were fully injected with ham and technobabble, not to mention overacting and sometimes pure camp. So this isn't any kind of an attempt to say that the original Treks were perfect by any means. But the few things Trek was known for, its positive outlook for humanity, the wonder of space exploration, and fun stories that were often uplifting morality plays, those elements are utterly absent in this movie.

Bolded = the common elements that ALL successful science fiction movies and series since have used as a formula for success, hence the BILLIONS of dollars made upon series and movies based on that exact formula. What is it about any of those elements that makes it "an absolutely terrible movie"? Its Trek, so its success is basically insured. Take too much of the ham/technobabble/camp out of it and its no longer Trek. I really hate that term "technobabble". Its like saying chess is a stupid game just because the person saying that cant play it. From my point of view as well as those who have shaped the canon, the science in Trek is anything BUT technobabble. Its real science, based in real mathematics, physics, chemistry and theory. And when that science drifts towards magic, fans jump in and promptly correct them. And Paramount listens...closely.

JJ Abrams has become a master in the arts of pulling the wool over peoples' eyes, simultaneously making them think that he's a brilliant artist. Before you scoff too loudly, let's do a little mini-review of his prior works. Abrams gave us Cloverfield, Armageddon, and of course Lost. Mix in some Roberto Orci, known for gems like Transformers and the Island, and you get Trek '09.

Abrams gave us Trek, pure and simple. I have been a fan of Star Trek since it was a show still airing for the first time in 1966. THAT Trek is the quintessential Trek...the Trek upon which all of Trek is based. The next Trek series and movies updated the tone and look of the show a bit, making it more politically and socially correct. The first Trek movie was re-introducing the crew (like this one is doing). The Veeger story was good too, but the core of that movie was still the characters and the ship. Trek is not an Abrams creation, and he wont be the last writer to write for Trek. Any and every writer for Trek that tries to mess with the formula will fail miserably...you think the uproar for SGU was bad...:facepalm: Having said that, Abrams delivered a Star Trek movie worthy of canon as well as the love of the original fanbase as well as the newer ones IMO.

Each and every one of these offerings were visually confusing, low on plot, and mainly a showcase of effects. Lost was a triumph for Abrams, particularly in learning how best to trick and misdirect an audience; because at the end of the day, did he actually succeed with an ending that was as satisfying or clever as people expected it to be? No, because the "wow" for his Lost audience was largely accomplished by weeks of spinning camera work right at the moment when things got interesting, speeding through dialogue that seemed critical, and rapid transitions through things you could barely make out. Lost didn't end on a good note because ultimately it just confused the audience from week to week. It wasn't actually good writing or direction, it was just confusing. Honestly, though, that was his goal. When a viewer becomes confused by dialogue or visuals, their puzzled brain concludes that what they're seeing must be complex, dramatic and interesting. After all, very little on TV catches you off-guard with complexity.

That is all true...and that is perhaps why Paramount chose him to write the movie. It needs tweaking to be sure, but its not too far from awesome. :)

Raggedly fast, Trek '09 has a very dark tone but retains that flashy camerawork of Lost. It also has extremely little in terms of plot, but was flooded with rapid, confusing action. Think of the sheer number of distractions: the incredibly attractive and young cast, the regularly shaky camera work, lens flares galore, nearly everything blowing up, multiple near-death escapes, entire planets exploding, and an extremely violent villain with minimal backstory. It's constant, unrelenting threat delivered at a pace so extreme that no one really has the opportunity to think: not the viewer, not the characters, and apparently not even the writers. It's all just super-charged emotional reaction to multiple dangerous events, one right after the other. And in that way, exactly like Stargate: Universe, Trek '09 is really just a clumsy "dark-n-gritty" transformation of a well-known family-oriented sci-fi franchise (*cough* Battlestar Galactica *cough*).

Just NO! :) The original Trek had the SAME elements as this one does. You never saw the young and sexy Uhura or the fit and trim Scotty. You didnt feel the shock and awe of the show when it was aired in the 1960s...miniskirts, tight pants, skimpy outfits on incredibly sexy women...Kirk was the Playboy Captain...the only one, until Chris Pine's Kirk which is arguably better than the original IMO. Have you ever seen The Menagerie? It was the pilot for Trek, and it will tell you a lot about what the core of Trek is. What I see in this post is somebody who doesnt really know Trek intimately, and therefore does not like what makes Trek what it is. The camp and ham and science and sex is SUPPOSED to be there.

Even the effects were dark and confusing. Because there was no screen time devoted to making the villain deep or convincing, beyond the yelling, anger, and stabbing someone with a spear, they had to make his ship look menacing. For some reason, this "mining" ship was loaded with spikes. Generally, spikes say "danger" but in this case it just looks like an overly large and amorphous blob with spikes. Explosions rock the ship, and battles involve people running or being ejected through the air from smoke and shaky cameras with lots of lens flare. There's a giant monster, which would take away from the main villain if there were anything to take away from him. It has a confusing head-mouth thing that alternates between looking like a flower and a deformed fish. Just because it's confusing and runs fast doesn't make it cool. And despite everything else, you'd think with a multi-million dollar budget you'd get to see some really cool new sets and interesting scenery. But practically everything is obscured by constant lens flare and extreme closeups.

I agree about the camerawork, and especially the lens flares:

lens-flares-trek-lens-flares-demotivational-poster-1264678499.jpg

And those sound effects were driving me up the wall!

The plot, what there is of it, is mainly structured around the desire to wipe most of Trek canon away so they can have a clean slate for future movies or TV offerings. Romulus, in the future, is destroyed when its star goes supernova. Spock and the Federation were trying to help but didn't quite make it. The Romulan mining ship captain Nero hears of this, learns that his wife was killed along with most of his race, and yet he decides that it must have been entirely the fault of Spock and the Federation. We get an instant evil villain a la George Lucas or the old Spiderman villains on the Electric Company.

The plot of this movie was incidental IMO. I think the MAIN purpose of the movie was to introduce the next generation of the most hallowed characters in all of Star Trek: Kirk, McCoy, Uhura, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov and Spock...and also the new Enterprise 1701. Paramount will make a small fortune just talking about those subjects alone, and including bonus features about them in DVD sets (and there will be many). Im glad that awful Romulan mining ship is gone as well as Nero and that stupid looking Vulcan science ship with the rotating thingie on it. They also introduced several bad elements, like the stupid looking and illogical swirly effect for the transporters, the asinine Jetsons sounds used in the film, the overdone and illogically designed bridge, the oil derrick interior look of Enterprise, the swoopy and illogical lines of the design of the new Enterprise...but those things can be fixed. These actors can count on decades of work on Trek, and millions upon millions of dollars each.

They killed his wife, so he wants genocide! Anyway, Nero somehow finds himself a black hole and goes back in time to plot his revenge. He even tells captain Pike that he's destroying the Federation to save Romulus. Nero makes good on his threat, and Vulcan implodes in a display of impressive effects. Spock, a Vulcan known for emotional control, goes from being angry with Kirk to marooning him on Delta Vega. There's a monster chase, Kirk meets future Spock for a bit of expository dialogue, and Kirk is convinced that he must now take command from young Spock and yet become best friends with him. Nevermind that Nero could be going after Earth, Kirk and Spock need to be pals. Kirk attempts to regain buddy status by telling young Spock he never loved his mother, triggering a rage attack... whoops! Then Kirk takes command despite having been under arrest earlier and exiled from the ship. Young Spock then incomprehensibly decides to follow Kirk (what? why?) and go after Nero rather than following orders to rejoin the fleet. They catch Nero, avoid getting sucked into a black hole "lightning storm" and gloat (yes, gloat) over Nero's death.

And Im re-reading that last paragraph to find the problem with any of that you discussed. You have never seen Kirk or Scotty or Sulu or Uhura or Dr McCoy gloat over the death of some baddie? I have, many times. Kirk always trusted Spock to be his conscience, so taking the advice of the future Spock who already knew him to the core was a no-brainer. Not really a problem at all IMO.

As for the acting, it wasn't too horrible although there was very little chemistry between the actors. Chris Pine's Kirk was portrayed as a sort of snotty college fraternity jackass, and yet somehow becomes captain for this crew.

Which is EXACTLY what James T. Kirk was, but you left out the PLAYBOY element. Kirk was the quintessential ladies man, and he was a brilliant (but mischevious) cadet at Starfleet Academy. I mean, how could he be friends with a guy like Finnegan if he wasnt? (reference to TOS). To me, that is like saying "Batman is a psychotic spoiled rich boy who likes to dress up in a bat costume, how stupid."

Quinto's Spock was filled with anger, lust or rage most of the time, making it the worst portrayal of Spock I've ever seen. Saldana's Uhura was not bad, except for her incomprehensible relationship with Spock. Urban's McCoy made no sense, until I realized that he was using every single McCoy catchphrase possible. Pegg's Scotty did not come off as Scotty, but rather as some kind of failed technician. Yelchin's accent for Chekov was overdone to the point of being distracting, and he was far too young.

You have this all wrong! Quinto's Spock was the most accurate portrayal of raw undisciplined Vulcans ever seen in Trek. Vulcans are, by nature, highly emotional and violent. The discipline of Logic was developed into the Vulcan culture because of it. Saldana's Uhura was AWESOME, and as sexy as the original, but I agree with the relationship part. It spoils things for me on several levels. Spock should not be receptive to her like he was in the movie, but Spock was always a babe magnet. He attracted more women than Kirk, but never gave in. Pegg's Scotty was better than the original in many ways (taking the alcoholic element out of it, thankfully), but he is a VERY accurate Scotty. Urban's McCoy was also as good as the original, but the original McCoy was a Southern Gentleman, not a disgruntled divorcee. Yelchin's Chekov disappointed me. Chekov is not a blond. The accent is so contrived...what Russians with heavy accents sound like that? The original Chekov seemed to have more balls than this new one who comes off as a boy IMO.

Where were the core themes and values of Star Trek in this movie? Kirk is portrayed as a bad boy, a cheat, and a simple action man ("GET THEM!"). There's no trace of the clever strategist Kirk created by Roddenberry in any of this, but we are still meant to approve of this Kirk. Where is the complexity of Spock, his hidden emotional depth, intelligence and logic? Not here, but we are apparently meant to value his emotional outbursts and murderous rage against Kirk, and then accept Spock's bipolar switch to passive acceptance of him as captain. This is the antithesis of Spock. The other characters similarly have no character development, mainly because there's no time devoted for that.

I have to laugh at this. :) Kirk IS a bad boy, a cheat and a simple action man. He is highly intelligent, but he thinks with his little head most of the time. In TOS, Kirk would brawl more often than negotiate, and he never backed down from a fight...he hates to lose. That brawl in the bar on earth before he joined Starfleet was Kirk to the bone. Even the child Kirk was spot on. Spock not complex in this movie? :cool:. How complex is a half-human Vulcan studying and living on Vulcan amongst pure-blood Vulcans? The tender yet frustrating relationship between his mother, his father, and the discipline and culture of Vulcan Logic? Id say that makes him very very complex.

It also effectively wiped out all of the Trek canon except for Enterprise (ENT), which many fans considered the weakest of the Treks. And it did this solely for a commercial reason, not to tell a good, complex story with humanity and depth. Not only is Vulcan destroyed, the entirety of the original series (TOS), the Next Generation (TNG), Voyager (VOY), and Deep Space Nine (DS9) are wiped clean. How then does one explain that VOY was essential to the 1990s development of computer technology? What of "first contact" and the Borg, given that the TNG crew was not there to stop them? What of Kirk saving the whales to prevent Earth's destruction? Oh you might say, "but all of that is still in Trek's primary timeline and this is just an alternative version!" But honestly, there's so much time travel intricately wired into Trek canon, even pre-ENT canon, that nothing makes much sense now.

The timeline is not nearly as important as the characters, the ship and the cultures we are most familiar with in Trek (Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans). The canon has been preserved by isolating it from the new one, and that is just fine with me. The timelines of those shows is preserved IN the shows themselves. The canon is continuous and complete.

So at the end of the day, what we have in Trek '09 is a plot driven completely by commercial interests, horrible cinematography, overdone effects, and an incredible amount of misdirection and distraction. It's full of action, to be sure. And it made a lot of money. But are those things derived from the spirit of Trek, what it's known for and loved for originally? Somehow, I don't think Roddenberry would be very happy with this "product" full of drek.

No, I think gene would have LOVED to see his baby reborn, and see a STRONG family resemblance. Read the book called "The Making of Star Trek", and you will see why I say that. :)

But I admire the fact that you took the time to write this. I dont agree with most of it, but I respect it as being another seat in the theater with a different vantage point. I have seen this movie about 8 times (and counting :)). I cant wait for the next one!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
He did both (read script and signoff with suggested changes and view dirsft cut in same manner). He also had the final say on casting for the role of Spock.
See, that's the difference between JJ Abrams and Brad Wright: respect for the fans and painstaking effort to get it right. Even if you didn't like how the movie turned out, at least you have to respect him for that.

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Bolded = the common elements that ALL successful science fiction movies and series since have used as a formula for success, hence the BILLIONS of dollars made upon series and movies based on that exact formula. What is it about any of those elements that makes it "an absolutely terrible movie"? Its Trek, so its success is basically insured. Take too much of the ham/technobabble/camp out of it and its no longer Trek....
It's always interesting getting to see the lenses that people put on when evaluating others' reviews. How did you get that I said ham, technobabble and camp were "horrible" or even improper for Trek? I said these things were part of Trek. However, ham, technobabble and camp all must have the proper timing and delivery, otherwise they tend to suck badly. Additionally, you completely glossed over the fact that I said important things were missing from Abrams' Trek: the positive outlook for humanity, the wonder of space exploration, and fun stories that were often uplifting morality plays, those elements are utterly absent in this movie.

Abrams gave us Trek, pure and simple.
I disagree, completely.

I have been a fan of Star Trek since it was a show still airing for the first time in 1966. THAT Trek is the quintessential Trek...the Trek upon which all of Trek is based. The next Trek series and movies updated the tone and look of the show a bit, making it more politically and socially correct.
I agree, although it's unworthy of you to suggest that not seeing TOS live makes one somehow a poorer judge of the series or the franchise.

That said, if that close of an identification is required by you for some sort of "credit" as a reviewer, then I assure you that not only did I grow up seeing every single episode on television, I also happen to understand it fully within the social context of the late 60s and early 70s. I am a Trekker, not a Trekkie, and not a NextGenner.

Just NO! :) The original Trek had the SAME elements as this one does. You never saw the young and sexy Uhura or the fit and trim Scotty. You didnt feel the shock and awe of the show when it was aired in the 1960s...miniskirts, tight pants, skimpy outfits on incredibly sexy women...Kirk was the Playboy Captain...the only one, until Chris Pine's Kirk which is arguably better than the original IMO. Have you ever seen The Menagerie? It was the pilot for Trek, and it will tell you a lot about what the core of Trek is. What I see in this post is somebody who doesnt really know Trek intimately, and therefore does not like what makes Trek what it is. The camp and ham and science and sex is SUPPOSED to be there.
As incredibly frakking insulting as your insinuations are, I'll respond point by point. I did grow up watching TOS on television. I have seen all episodes of every Trek, not just the original. I collected the original figures, I had the walkie-talkie communicator set. I'm a Trekker. So thanks very much for your "you are somehow a better judge" insinuations, but I understand Trek very well. Perhaps you are viewing Trek'09 through the rosy glasses of nostalgia and wishful thinking, have you considered that?

What you see with my review is my honest experience of the Abrams film. Yes, camp, ham and science are all very much a part of TOS. But in Trek'09 they are not the same as in TOS. I felt that the timing and presentation of those elements were wrong on many levels, and many other important elements were missing. It's fine if you want to disagree, but don't cross the line of making personal assumptions about me.

Im glad that awful Romulan mining ship is gone as well as Nero and that stupid looking Vulcan science ship with the rotating thingie on it. They also introduced several bad elements, like the stupid looking and illogical swirly effect for the transporters, the asinine Jetsons sounds used in the film, the overdone and illogically designed bridge, the oil derrick interior look of Enterprise, the swoopy and illogical lines of the design of the new Enterprise...but those things can be fixed.
Fixed how? The movie is out, it's there and there's no changing it. Those awful elements are part and parcel of the crapfest that Abrams delivered.

And Im re-reading that last paragraph to find the problem with any of that you discussed. You have never seen Kirk or Scotty or Sulu or Uhura or Dr McCoy gloat over the death of some baddie? I have, many times.
Gloat? Not really, no. Express satisfaction in saving his ship from an enemy? Yes. Not the same thing as gloating.

Kirk always trusted Spock to be his conscience, so taking the advice of the future Spock who already knew him to the core was a no-brainer. Not really a problem at all IMO.
Except that in this story, young Kirk does not have the years-long relationship with Spock. This trust in future Spock, given his actual experience with his contemporary version, did not work for me. I think you're allowing your nostalgia to override the poorly developed characterizations in this movie.

Which is EXACTLY what James T. Kirk was, but you left out the PLAYBOY element. Kirk was the quintessential ladies man, and he was a brilliant (but mischevious) cadet at Starfleet Academy. I mean, how could he be friends with a guy like Finnegan if he wasnt? (reference to TOS).
Again with the assumption that I don't understand TOS... yeesh. Here's the thing. In this movie, we see NONE of Kirk's charm or intellect from TOS. Those things are also inexorably part of the Kirk character. Pine's Kirk was just not Kirk, because all you see in this movie is the reckless bravado, the cheater, and the action man. If you are seeing brilliance or charm in Pine's Kirk, you are allowing those nostalgic lenses to color your view of this story.

You have this all wrong! Quinto's Spock was the most accurate portrayal of raw undisciplined Vulcans ever seen in Trek. Vulcans are, by nature, highly emotional and violent. The discipline of Logic was developed into the Vulcan culture because of it.
No, I have it right. In TOS, Spock had moments of raw and uncontrolled emotion ONLY when he was diseased, compromised by aliens, or had massive biochemical events going on in his brain (e.g. Pon Farr). No Vulcan, even Spock with his half-human ancestry, would have demonstrated the rapid bipolar shifts seen in Abrams' Trek... Kirk goaded him about not loving his mother, for God's sake, and this Spock loses it and tries to kill Kirk. Seriously, WTF is that?

Saldana's Uhura was AWESOME, and as sexy as the original, but I agree with the relationship part. It spoils things for me on several levels. Spock should not be receptive to her like he was in the movie, but Spock was always a babe magnet. He attracted more women than Kirk, but never gave in.
Considering how you've tried to berate me for apparently "not knowing TOS" is this an appropriate place to point out that Spock was promised to T'Pring and this Uhura relationship was totally inappropriate for anyone who understood the Spock character? Yes, Spock was a babe magnet. He would never have been in a relationship with Uhura.

I have to laugh at this. :) Kirk IS a bad boy, a cheat and a simple action man. He is highly intelligent, but he thinks with his little head most of the time.
Not when it came to the safety of his ship in combat. Kirk of TOS was a strategist, beyond simply being a "dawg" with alien women. This Kirk in Abrams' movie is not the same Kirk in Balance of Terror, Doomsday Machine, or the Enterprise Incident. He just isn't, and shows no traces of a hint of being such in the future.

...How complex is a half-human Vulcan studying and living on Vulcan amongst pure-blood Vulcans? The tender yet frustrating relationship between his mother, his father, and the discipline and culture of Vulcan Logic? Id say that makes him very very complex.
Are you speaking of the characters as shown in this movie, or the characters you nostalgically remember from TOS?

...But I admire the fact that you took the time to write this. I dont agree with most of it, but I respect it as being another seat in the theater with a different vantage point. I have seen this movie about 8 times (and counting :)). I cant wait for the next one!
I thought it was total drek, for all the reasons I listed. And I refuse to be hoodwinked into paying for a second viewing, much less pay for the next Abrams Trek. Sorry we disagree so much, but them's the breaks.

PS: like you, my writing tone may feel a little confrontational. I am passionate about my Trek, though. And with such a negative review I was the first one to BRING IT, put it on the table and open it, so to speak. Everyone, anyone who reads this review, please do not take my style or my comments personally, ok? We all like or love Trek, in our own way. Otherwise we wouldn't be passionate about it, or call ourselves fans. :)

At the end of the day, if you loved Trek and I didn't that's just life. It's fine. It's not my place to say your experience was wrong, any more than it's anyone's place to tell me my experience was wrong. I'm okay with people liking this movie even if I hated it. It's just a movie. (A horrible, horrible movie!)

But if you liked SGU... well, there's no hope for you. ;) KIDDING! Sorta... haha! ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I said it was going to be a heated debate!

TOUCHE! I hope you didnt take any of my TOS commentary personally....I was under the assumption that you were too young to have seen it live. Having said that, how can you say that Chris Pine didnt capture the essence of Kirk (the character, not the actor Shatner). I have read lots of Trek non-fiction production literature, most notably The Making of Star Trek (http://www.amazon.com/Making-Star-Trek-Stephen-Whitfield/dp/0345340191). In that book, Roddenberry describes all of the characters as he envisioned them, as well as the ship and its size and capabilities. Roddenberry's Kirk is more like Chris Pine's Kirk than William Shatner's Kirk. At the time of Star Trek's debut, all of those actors were unknowns on TV except Nimoy and Shatner who had played roles in Outer Limits and other shows in black and white.

I will agree that this Trek is about selling tickets and drawing in a dumber audience, but its Trek to its core even if it looks different and is played by a new cast. Unlike the first one, this Trek has to fall in line with previous incarnations of established characters from TOS and some of the characteristics of the original actors are now integrated into the characters. Even in that respect, Pine was able to channel elements of Shatner's Kirk whilst still making them his own. I have several issues with Quinto's Spock, and Abrams' Vulcans. I resent the fact that he destroyed Vulcan in his canon, and I dont like the design of this ship all that much:

enterprise_no.jpg

They can EASILY fix it by destroying the parts of the ship that are offensive and then "upgrading" them to different designs. Fortunately, the offensive elements are restricted mostly to the nacelles, but the primary hull is distorted too. The only thing that is acceptable is the saucer section and the attached main pylon that connects it to the primary hull. Although never shown in TOS, the original 1701 also had a detachable saucer section like 1701D. The two distinctive "slice" shaped panels on the underside of the original Enterprise concealed landing gear, with the third leg hidden where the saucer section was attached to the ship. They could use that in the new canon, and fans who dont know about the original ship will see that it is indeed in the canon. Having said that, all they have to do is have a battle where the saucer detaches, then destroy the primary half and attach a new (redesigned) one. :)

The swirly transporter effect (and its associated sounds) has got to go. Same with that Apple iTrek design of the bridge and ESPECIALLY the chrome "stick shift" at Sulu's station. The sound effects of the technology and the devices (other than the few original sounds they used) are juvenile and comical. They sound like they came from the Jetsons or from Star Wars.

But this movie is Trek, no doubt about it. The original was the original, and I dont expect the original. I expected an update and we got one. It needs work, but overall it was a great effort IMO. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
See, that's the difference between JJ Abrams and Brad Wright: respect for the fans and painstaking effort to get it right. Even if you didn't like how the movie turned out, at least you have to respect him for that.

Why would they allow certain elements to make it through, though? Like the redesigned engineering or that completely dysfunctional bridge? I enjoyed the movie but I really think they gave Abrams far too much latitude on some aspects.