Why the Star Trek (2009) movie sucked worse than SGU

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So did the attach that horn with glue or staples?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So did the attach that horn with glue or staples?

Hopefully neither. It looks like it was on a string tied around the head.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Come on, no one got the "staples" line?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Come on, no one got the "staples" line?

There was another interesting video at the end of yours. It counts the number of days Bill Murray's character actually lived the same day over again. The number was much higher than I'd thought.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks Overmind One. Its good to be here.

We have been online a very long time, and there is a history to tell. :) But these days we are a tiny group because of various reasons. Now, the site is arguably right where it needs to be in terms of capabilities, but it needs to be organized better and perhaps needs a YouTube presence. Feel free to make suggestions or to PM me if you have issues or concerns. Tell your friends! No media influence here, or shills. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks Overmind One. I only found out about this site from a short clip on YouTube. It seems to be smaller than other sites I've been on for sure but I get a non PC non shill vibe off of it so I've enjoyed it so far.

The clip with Sherry on the patio?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yup that's how I found out about this site Overmind One. I love science fiction but I've never really watched much of Stargate tbh but I'm interested in most of the topics on this forum from what I can see.

THAT is the problem with this site. It has GateFans as it's name, but we hardly talk about Stargate anymore. It is more of a scifi/fantasy community than a Stargate fan site.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Welcome to GF!

As Overmind said, we go way back and if you root around we have a lot of different topics we've talked about here. One thing you'll notice is we tend to go more in depth on things.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks to the two of you. Are there any topics about the philosophy of Star Trek? That really interests me. Something sorely lacking from current Trek.

Yes, probably. There are almost 200,000 posts here. Just use the search function. If you want, you can start a new thread. You can upload pics here, embed links and videos by pasting them. Have fun!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually there are a couple in this thread. And other threads have more, diving even into subtopics such and (for example):

- The depiction of women in Science Fiction
- Star Trek vis a vis Star Wars

And beyond Trek we've looked in depth at probably hundreds of movies and shows including Doctor Who, Godzilla, Quatermass, Stargate of course, The Expanse and many other topics.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks. I'll have a look through the topics.

I find it interesting that you were brought here by YouTube. I will most definitely prioritize the editing and upload of that interview. It is from New Years 2016.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Thanks to the two of you. Are there any topics about the philosophy of Star Trek? That really interests me. Something sorely lacking from current Trek.

nice to have a new 'voice' here

so, what are your favorite current,recent and 'classic' sci fi or fantasy shows/ films?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hey, I've repeatedly said I dug the first half of NuBSG also.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well to be honest the entire Final Five plotline was a shoehorn. It clearly didn’t even exist in the show storyline until Season 3 and then they even made both episodes in Season 4 (No Exit in particular) and the entire TV movie The Plan to retcon the show like crazy to try to make it fit.

Then there was the Hera storyline which ultimately (and weirdly for something portrayed as so important) had essentially no payoff. And what was to me one of the worst series finales ever. But up to Season 2.5 it was pretty good stuff.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And what was to me one of the worst series finales ever.

if you mean the very,very end, all based around a certain showrunner's fascination with a certain national geographic magazine cover

some argue--though i don't, its just what i have read-that the importance of Hera is in those final moments when it is implied that she is the skeleton of mitochondria eve depicted on the nat geo cover. a importance far greater then being the lost girl running around the opera house/bsg

from the bsg wikipedia page (not bsg wiki)

""150,000 years later: humanity has reached the early 21st century, and the development of robotics and computerization continues unabated. Inner Baltar and Inner Six (no longer tied to the long-deceased Gaius Baltar and Caprica Six)[6] comment on the recent discovery of what is believed to be "mitochondrial Eve" in Tanzania... the remains of Hera Agathon, progenitor of modern-day humanity.""

anyhow, i digress, whole other thread/topic/show :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
When such things happen in successful series I sometimes wonder if the creators egos has run away with themselves

though i do like this show quite a bit, I too believe that towards the end-mostly everything after they discovered the 'dead Earth'-was a lot of "phoning it in" by tptbs

almost like they got some teenage fan, handed him some rough ideas and let him run with it

i believe RDM was beginning to get involved in some other projects at this time as well

there is a thread-or 2 or 20 :) - on nuBSG

https://www.gatefans.net/gforums/forums/battlestar-galactica-2-0.1838/