Why Star Trek can't go past the Voyager timeline without becoming silly

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I bet they will be "released" over time. I read that the first episode is free. If all are there then that is unwise. There is software to record anything you are seeing on your screen including sound.

Even if they're released over time, at some point the entire season will be available. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Even if they're released over time, at some point the entire season will be available. :)

Whatever they come up with, my personal viewing experience will be free, and that's that. :eusa_snooty: :P

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Joe Menosky, the writer behind many fan favorite Star Trek episodes, has come aboard for CBS’ new Star Trek series.

According to TrekMovie.com writer Joe Menosky has joined CBS’ new Star Trekseries. You may not know Joe Menosky’s name, but if you’re a Trekkie you certainly know his work. Menosky wrote many fan favorite Star Trek episodes including Star Trek: The Next Generation’s “Darmok”, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s “Distant Voices”, and Star Trek: Voyager’s “Year of Hell”. In total Menoksy has written 56 Star Trekepisodes.

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/06/04/fan-favorite-writer-joe-menosky-joins-new-star-trek-series/

Star Trek 2017 Series Codenamed Green Harvest?

According to TrekCore Mark Worthington will be the production designer for CBS’ new 2017 Star Trek series. Worthington is well known for his work on American Horror Story, Ugly Betty, and Lost. While CBS hasn’t confirmed that Worthington has the job it is listed on his resume.

The Worthington rumors led some investigating Trekkies to his portfolio website. On the site images that appear to be design concepts for the new Star Trek series were found under the heading “Green Harvest”.

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/06/06/star-trek-2017-series-codenamed-green-harvest/

Whatever they come up with, my personal viewing experience will be free, and that's that. :eusa_snooty: :P
But why do you want to watch it for free if it's good? I still don't get this logic.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Joe Menosky, the writer behind many fan favorite Star Trek episodes, has come aboard for CBS’ new Star Trek series.

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/06/04/fan-favorite-writer-joe-menosky-joins-new-star-trek-series/

Star Trek 2017 Series Codenamed Green Harvest?

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/06/06/star-trek-2017-series-codenamed-green-harvest/

But why do you want to watch it for free if it's good? I still don't get this logic.

Why do you want to pay for it? :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Why do you want to pay for it? :)

its a consumable product; the 'fruit' of others' labor

why do you buy food at the store when you could grow it for free?

or do you go to WholeFoods and shove lettuce down your pants? :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
its a consumable product; the 'fruit' of others' labor

why do you buy food at the store when you could grow it for free?

or do you go to WholeFoods and shove lettuce down your pants? :anim_59:

So, are you saying that these people have not been paid already? :) If I could buy my products from the producers directly, I would not have to pay 3 times the value because of middlemen (stores, distributors, markup). If the laws allowed for people to keep chickens, cows, etc, and if jobs paid enough to have living space for those produce animals, I would most definitely do that.

When it comes to the Industry, however, I have seen the waste. I have worked on the fringes of the Industry on and off for several years. I feel no guilt! There is even a company whose sole purpose is to collect all the recyclable cans from film shoots so they can get the money for them. When I am unable to simply select the shows I want to see in Kodi and click them to play, I will not actively hack anything. But for now, that is not necessary. Running Kodi is not illegal anywhere.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
So, are you saying that these people have not been paid already? :) If I could buy my products from the producers directly, I would not have to pay 3 times the value because of middlemen (stores, distributors, markup). If the laws allowed for people to keep chickens, cows, etc, and if jobs paid enough to have living space for those produce animals, I would most definitely do that.

When it comes to the Industry, however, I have seen the waste. I have worked on the fringes of the Industry on and off for several years. I feel no guilt! There is even a company whose sole purpose is to collect all the recyclable cans from film shoots so they can get the money for them. When I am unable to simply select the shows I want to see in Kodi and click them to play, I will not actively hack anything. But for now, that is not necessary. Running Kodi is not illegal anywhere.
You know yes the makeup artists and others have been paid, but this is CBS and they need to invest money back into the franchise, how else are they going to make money? Do you think that CBS has limitless access to money? People think that studios are greedy when they ask for money, but if they bothered to see where this money goes to, because it not only pays some overpaid CEO, but it also pays for other things such as investing into the future of the franchise.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You know yes the makeup artists and others have been paid, but this is CBS and they need to invest money back into the franchise, how else are they going to make money? Do you think that CBS has limitless access to money?

:) So, you aren't aware that CBS is the #1 network and has the most streaming viewers (combined content)? Really? How come you did not check to see how they are doing out there?

http://fortune.com/2016/02/11/cbs-quarterly-profit-meets-analysts-estimates/
Content licensing and distribution revenue rose more than 16 percent to cross $1 bln in the fourth quarter, accounting for about 28 percent of total revenue in 2015.

They are sitting on the throne. So, CBS does indeed invest in it's network across their "properties", and the second bolded about access to money, uh, yeah they do. Because I am using Kodi, when Star trek Discovery is "made available", it will magically appear on the list of TV shows I can click in the TV Shows menu. And when I select it, it will play commercial free and I will have violated no laws.

People think that studios are greedy when they ask for money, but if they bothered to see where this money goes to, because it not only pays some overpaid CEO, but it also pays for other things such as investing into the future of the franchise.

How are you so sure about that? A rather big birdie told me that investors who buy shares or make short term production investments want a larger return on their investments (like China, for instance). CBS is not AT ALL hurting for cash or viewership. Make no mistake, every show aired is a product. Not entertainment. Nothing wrong with that, but if I am buying the Scifi product, I don't want to sit down and see that I have invested in a soap opera.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

just using a little silliness to make my point-and i guess heisenburgs(?)

hey, if you want to keep "stealing lettuce" from the networks, go for it!! :smiley-laughing021:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
just using a little silliness to make my point-and i guess heisenburgs(?)

hey, if you want to keep "stealing lettuce" from the networks, go for it!! :smiley-laughing021:

In the eye of the beholder, and all that. :popcorn:;)

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
It can and should go past Voyager. There are new sectors to explore, with the new warp drive, the close Dwarf galaxies should be explored.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It can and should go past Voyager. There are new sectors to explore, with the new warp drive, the close Dwarf galaxies should be explored.

The problem is not at all the universe of Trek, the problem is Voyager and it's technology. Voyager's technology would give the Federation ablative armor, transphasic torpedoes, stealth technology (that it could not adapt, but Starfleet could), a database containing slipstream technology, the mobile emitter, star charts of the Delta Quadrant, programmable Borg nanoprobes, Borg enhanced Federation weaponry and shields, and even the technology to beat the Warp 10 barrier. And of course, Seven of Nine herself. With no threat from the Borg or Species 8476, and the transwarp network destroyed, and the Klingons and Romulans and the Federation now on friendly terms after the Dominion War, Star Trek past Voyager is at a dead end unless we ignore all of that (like Nemesis the movie did).

We could explore those sectors in an earlier time frame

Errant of Patha

GateFans Member
The problem is not at all the universe of Trek, the problem is Voyager and it's technology. Voyager's technology would give the Federation ablative armor, transphasic torpedoes, stealth technology (that it could not adapt, but Starfleet could), a database containing slipstream technology, the mobile emitter, star charts of the Delta Quadrant, programmable Borg nanoprobes, Borg enhanced Federation weaponry and shields, and even the technology to beat the Warp 10 barrier. And of course, Seven of Nine herself. With no threat from the Borg or Species 8476, and the transwarp network destroyed, and the Klingons and Romulans and the Federation now on friendly terms after the Dominion War, Star Trek past Voyager is at a dead end unless we ignore all of that (like Nemesis the movie did).

We could explore those sectors in an earlier time frame

All you said about Voyager tech can be the same or inferior to the new species encountered. In the trek story line the Federation is in its death throes, the new Tech stabilize the Federation. Time for a new 5 year mission out to Unknown Quadrants and Galaxies.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
All you said about Voyager tech can be the same or inferior to the new species encountered. In the trek story line the Federation is in its death throes, the new Tech stabilize the Federation. Time for a new 5 year mission out to Unknown Quadrants and Galaxies.
Agreed. But none of the previous tech was fantasy tech until TNG. Voyager's tech is magical. And it went too far. Voyager showed us Federation timeships. And the two most powerful enemies are no threat now.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just from memory, but wasn't Gary 7 a type of time traveller as well? albeit from the past

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Gary Seven wasn't a timer traveler per se - both he and the aliens who trained him were in the same time as the Earth he worked on.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Gary Seven wasn't a timer traveler per se - both he and the aliens who trained him were in the same time as the Earth he worked on.

what were his 'powers' anyhow? refresh my memory ppls :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually he had no powers at all. He was just a highly trained human operative sent to Earth by the Aliens to assist the development of humanity.