Why Star Trek can't go past the Voyager timeline without becoming silly

heisenberg

Earl Grey
And neither is JJ. :)
The whole CBS exclusive online access thing is throwing everyone off. It seems no one likes the idea. Though the pricing is pretty cheap so why all the fuss?

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/CBS/videos/10153655027698997/

See the comments not the video.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The whole CBS exclusive online access thing is throwing everyone off. It seems no one likes the idea. Though the pricing is pretty cheap so why all the fuss?

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/CBS/videos/10153655027698997/

See the comments not the video.

I have already decided that I will download the episodes and not pay for them. I don't see a problem there. Trekkies are going to share the hell out of this series, unless it's crap.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I have already decided that I will download the episodes and not pay for them. I don't see a problem there.

Ya know, maybe boasting outright on a public forum like this isn't such a good idea. Try some subtlety. :icon_lol:

Some subtle ways to put it:

- Aarrgh! I shall sail the high seas to acquire this booty!
- I will watch this without disturbing the lint in my pocket
- I may watch it without loss to my person
- I may watch this show via alternate means
- I will view this show via my preferred tried and true methods

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ya know, maybe boasting outright on a public forum like this isn't such a good idea. Try some subtlety. :icon_lol:

Some subtle ways to put it:

- Aarrgh! I shall sail the high seas to acquire this booty!
- I will watch this without disturbing the lint in my pocket
- I may watch it without loss to my person
- I may watch this show via alternate means
- I will view this show via my preferred tried and true methods

:shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::smiley-laughing024:

So, I can't say I will go to torrent sites searching and sifting through the fake ones until I find a good source, then illegally download the episodes and watch them when I please? Okay, I wont say that then. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just say you will view the episodes and leave the balance unsaid...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sure! You're cosplaying then!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Can I still wear my pirate suit?

We all know that if it's Tuesday you're gonna be wearing your pirate suit. No need to ask permission anymore. ;)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have already decided that I will download the episodes and not pay for them. I don't see a problem there. Trekkies are going to share the hell out of this series, unless it's crap.
Why do you have a problem of paying for it if it's good? This is exactly the type of business model we asked for and it's not like it's crazy expensive either.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why do you have a problem of paying for it if it's good? This is exactly the type of business model we asked for and it's not like it's crazy expensive either.

I might pay if it were good, but CBS is not going to be offering enough additional content for me to pay a subscription fee every month.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I might pay if it were good, but CBS is not going to be offering enough additional content for me to pay a subscription fee every month.

netflix does not offer anything worth paying for either. Infact, most of their stuff is recycled content. It's only now they've bothered to invest in original content which doesn't interest me still. At least with the new star trek, I can watch the other star treks as well as this one. It's also only 6 dollars a month which is not expensive. Unless you are living on the street, I am sure most people can afford 6 dollars a month. More people spend on their morning coffee.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
netflix does not offer anything worth paying for either. Infact, most of their stuff is recycled content. It's only now they've bothered to invest in original content which doesn't interest me still. At least with the new star trek, I can watch the other star treks as well as this one. It's also only 6 dollars a month which is not expensive. Unless you are living on the street, I am sure most people can afford 6 dollars a month. More people spend on their morning coffee.

PRECISELY, which is why I suspended my Netflix account in November of last year. For a while, before I had watched everything I thought worth watching, I paid the monthly fee. I also had Amazon Prime, but the videos were lame on the free list. With this Trek series, I will not pay for it because I think it's sorta greedy and manipulative for them to charge me to watch it. I don't like the way they are using it as a carrot to suck me into yet ANOTHER subscription service. Not a matter of being able to afford it. :) Just maintaining this website is more than twice that amount each month.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
PRECISELY, which is why I suspended my Netflix account in November of last year. For a while, before I had watched everything I thought worth watchig, I paid the monthly fee. I also had Amazon Prime, but the videos were lame on the free list. With this Trek series, I will not pay for it because I think it's sorta greedy and manipulative for them to charge me to watch it. I don't like the way they are using it as a carrot to suck me into yet ANOTHER subscription service. Not a matter of being able to afford it. :) Just maintaining this website is more than twice that amount each month.
I can see where you are coming from and I do agree with that. It does sound like they are double dipping, but I'll watch it if it's good and most likely will wait for the first season to completely air and then watch it then. As for netflix what really annoys me about the service is that they have stupid executives who can't seem to greenlit the shows that the people REALLY want. Instead they are becoming exactly like hollywood and pitching useless crap and rebooting "gilmore girls(who the hell asked for this?) and crap like that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I can see where you are coming from and I do agree with that. It does sound like they are double dipping, but I'll watch it if it's good and most likely will wait for the first season to completely air and then watch it then. As for netflix what really annoys me about the service is that they have stupid executives who can't seem to greenlit the shows that the people REALLY want. Instead they are becoming exactly like hollywood and pitching useless crap and rebooting "gilmore girls(who the hell asked for this?) and crap like that.

They are likely crunching their viewing statistics database (which is far far more accurate than anything Nielsen has), and create shows based upon those metrics. Since they are not depending on ratings or advertisers, everything at Netflix is sort of unique among providers. Amazon and Hulu still are not getting it. I doubt CBS All Access will either. They still don't see announcements of future and running shows during what you are watching as advertising. :) They don't get that many cord cutters are cutters because they refuse, and I mean REFUSE to sit there and take in commercial advertising and programming. Just show me what is available, and I will choose if, when and how I want to watch. Or not.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

ADDITIONAL:

I did some homework on CBS All Access, and it appears they have a week long trial you can get. I took advantage of the Hulu Ad Free a couple of months ago and posted about it here. I will likely do the same with CBS All Access and post about the experience. I am not expecting much because of the following:

There are commercials. Lots of them (according to reviews).
The shows on there will be only CBS shows from their cable channel or licensed to them.

Reviews are saying the picture quality and streaming stability is patchy, but I will wait and see for myself. I have awesome internet speed, so this better not be an issue. I will not pay for commercials under any circumstances. This service supposedly has a "classic library" where the content is ad-free, but that is for old shows. Why don't these media companies get it? NO ADS. NONE. ZILTCH. That is how people want to watch their TV and movies. Once you have gone a whole year or longer without seeing commercials, your tolerance for them drops to zero. They seem bizarre to see when you encounter them at other people's homes. One after the other after the other, hawking shit you don't need or want.

One drop of deadly poison as opposed to a whole glass? What's the difference?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

I really enjoy their original series and movies. There's enough there for me to justify paying for my subscription.

CBS ... not so much. I don't see a reason to pay $6/month just to watch 8-10 episodes a year of a new Star Trek series that may end up sucking balls.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They are likely crunching their viewing statistics database (which is far far more accurate than anything Nielsen has), and create shows based upon those metrics. Since they are not depending on ratings or advertisers, everything at Netflix is sort of unique among providers. Amazon and Hulu still are not getting it. I doubt CBS All Access will either. They still don't see announcements of future and running shows during what you are watching as advertising. :) They don't get that many cord cutters are cutters because they refuse, and I mean REFUSE to sit there and take in commercial advertising and programming. Just show me what is available, and I will choose if, when and how I want to watch. Or not.
Statistics have a great way of lying but lately netflix have been making a lot of mistakes. Instead of taking up the offer to continue with jeremy clarkson, james may and richard hammond, they instead took on the new shitty top gear which is horrible. While I do agree that netflix is currently offering more than what cbs has to offer, it's not worth my money if it's stuff that i have already watched or stuff that has no interest to me.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I really enjoy their original series and movies. There's enough there for me to justify paying for my subscription.

CBS ... not so much. I don't see a reason to pay $6/month just to watch 8-10 episodes a year of a new Star Trek series that may end up sucking balls.

I would just wait for the entire series to air and then binge watch it then.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, pay $6 for one month, watch it all then cancel? I can live with that. :D
I bet they will be "released" over time. I read that the first episode is free. If all are there then that is unwise. There is software to record anything you are seeing on your screen including sound.