Why Star Trek can't go past the Voyager timeline without becoming silly

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
What was sad is that they even managed to castrate Worf.

Also they ruined Gowron, formerly just about my favorite Klingon in Trek.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It was not my favorite Star Trek show, but I found it immensely more watchable than Enterprise. I just recently did a full rewatch of DS9 and TNG. The most pathetic of soap in Star Trek can be given a name: Deanna Troi.

Enterprise had some serious flaws and I don't want to be the one to defend it. It was mildly more watchable than DS9 though. Truth be told I stopped watching the show the same way I stopped watching DS9. Both shows failed to grab and hold me the way the other ST shows had.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Why did you like Gowron?

Before the DS9 writers turned him into a revenge crazy idiot (and revenge crazy when it wasn't even him who was offended), Gowron was portrayed as a pragmatist with a strong sense of honor. He was also clever.

Some of Gowron's classic moments include:

- Pretending to attempt to bribe K`Ehleyr in the episode "Reunion". When she reacted with anger and challenged him his reaction was happiness as he had found out what he was looking for, which was if she was truly Klingon.

or when he smacked Worf down in "Redemption" when Worf was willing to pledge support to Gowron but not willing to really "lay it all on the line"...

"You come to me and demand the restoration of your family honor and now... you hide behind Human excuses. What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling to glory like a Klingon?"

Gowron pre DS9 was, so to speak, a Klingon's Klingon.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Before the DS9 writers turned him into a revenge crazy idiot (and revenge crazy when it wasn't even him who was offended), Gowron was portrayed as a pragmatist with a strong sense of honor. He was also clever.

Some of Gowron's classic moments include:

- Pretending to attempt to bribe K`Ehleyr in the episode "Reunion". When she reacted with anger and challenged him his reaction was happiness as he had found out what he was looking for, which was if she was truly Klingon.

or when he smacked Worf down in "Redemption" when Worf was willing to pledge support to Gowron but not willing to really "lay it all on the line"...

"You come to me and demand the restoration of your family honor and now... you hide behind Human excuses. What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling to glory like a Klingon?"

Gowron pre DS9 was, so to speak, a Klingon's Klingon.

Gowron was the best Klingon ever to be in Star Trek before DS9. I know, many say "what about Worf?". Worf has always annoyed me. He spent so much time trying to be so Klingon but was in Starfleet? Gowron would never join Starfleet. I could see his facial expression at the thought of even trying on a Starfleet uniform. :) And a Captain Worf? Out of the question.

Bluce Ree

I would still be in for a Captain Sulu series.

There's something different about the original ST movies that the TNG and later movies failed to capture.

Bluce Ree

I can't help but feel they missed a massive opportunity with Generations. I read a Star Trek novel called "The Return", which sees Kirk revived by the Romulans after they acquired his body from where it was buried.

Looking at the fan-made "The Wrath of Kirk" trailer, I could envision a story where Kirk was somehow brought back by the Romulans, implanted with false memories (along the lines of the novel) and is made to use his knowledge and tactical prowess to bring this modern Starfleet to its knees.

THAT would have been a great way to pass the torch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would still be in for a Captain Sulu series.

There's something different about the original ST movies that the TNG and later movies failed to capture.

Chemistry? The original actors have known each other in real life and as their portrayed characters for more years than the average age of today's scifi audiences. It took years for the friendship to form between Kirk, Spock, Dr McCoy, Uhura, Sulu Checkov and Scotty. The characters could carry the story because we already have seen them doing so many other things. I think TNG formed a core group too, but it was out of balance. There did not need to be a Deanna Troi, and the Security Officer character did not need to be a main core character either.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Chemistry? The original actors have known each other in real life and as their portrayed characters for more years than the average age of today's scifi audiences. It took years for the friendship to form between Kirk, Spock, Dr McCoy, Uhura, Sulu Checkov and Scotty. The characters could carry the story because we already have seen them doing so many other things. I think TNG formed a core group too, but it was out of balance. There did not need to be a Deanna Troi, and the Security Officer character did not need to be a main core character either.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I could quibble about the logo, but I won't. :) I think CBS will get this right. Not sure about that exploded planet though. I was never much into the "weapon that can destroy a planet" thig. This is looking good, what tiny there is of it. :)

Let's make it a new thread. That is, stuff about New Trek at CBS. :cameron21:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I could quibble about the logo, but I won't. :) I think CBS will get this right. Not sure about that exploded planet though. I was never much into the "weapon that can destroy a planet" thig. This is looking good, what tiny there is of it. :)

I don't think it's an exploding planet. I think it's just a frozen planet in space.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

This trailer also went under the radar too and so did the new star trek beyond trailer too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maybe the rubbled planet is Praxis?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe the rubbled planet is Praxis?

Maybe. :) I think the effects in this series will raise the bar significantly. Axanar showed us that normal computers at the hands of professionals can produce feature quality HD graphics and CGI. I have high hopes for the series.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Maybe. :) I think the effects in this series will raise the bar significantly. Axanar showed us that normal computers at the hands of professionals can produce feature quality HD graphics and CGI. I have high hopes for the series.

Not sure if brent spiner is drunk or what, but here he says that JJ is part of the new trek series

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I wouldn't put a lot of cred on this, as Brent Spiner is not involved in the new series.